Sponsored

Fuel filter underhood

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Hello.

Has anyone put in a fuel filter in the engine bay? Bad idea?

I have the Edelbrock SC and there’s the braided line going to the fuel rails. Thought about putting one between the junction of the braided line and the rails. Would need a female end male end filter to basically put it in plug and play. Anything like that out there?

Thanks!
Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I started planning to do this, but put it on pause due to unrelated circumstances. It should be easy to do, you just need to find a place to mount it. I was going to plumb one in line before my flex fuel sensor and make a bracket for it.

Only major issue I can see is if changing the filter with a hot engine gasoline will drop right on the exhaust manifold.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
I’m interested as well. So many of the drop in dual pump buckets are “raw dogging” with no filter. This is no good for the gdi pump in the gen3. The gt500 fuel line puts a filter under the car for relatively cheap but you have to drop the tank, exhaust, and driveshaft to install it. If there was a 5-minute install underhood kit that uses the oem ford filter I’d buy it this minute.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Install it here near the pump and there’s no worry about fuel dropping on a hot engine. This is a check valve that I installed, but a fuel filter should also fit.

IMG_6516.jpeg

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
This is Ford's solution. The entire line with filter and bracket is $230. I bought one but I'm procrastinating on pulling the tank.

1716562565574-t4.png

And the Filter is common to many other vehicles so it's readily available when its time for a new one.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
This is Ford's solution. The entire line with filter and bracket is $230. I bought one but I'm procrastinating on pulling the tank.

1716562565574-t4.png

And the Filter is common to many other vehicles so it's readily available when its time for a new one.
I hear you! If you have to completely drop the tank to do that install, it’s a big job (not hard tho) in that you will have to remove the driveshaft, filler neck etc.

I thought I was going to have to do the aforementioned, but seeing as how I cut the factory line out of the car with bolt cutters, I was able to just drop the driver’s side of the tank and let it rest on top of the ds. Installing a new fuel line using this method won’t work (tank will need to be removed to work comfortably and run the new line).

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seems like everyone puts it under the car, probably don't want the engine bay as another possible place for fuel to leak

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I agree about the extra place for a fuel leak. There’s already enough places. But, for ease of getting to it to change it and easy installation, it may be answer for a plug and play type filter. I’m going to have a look and see what’s out there.

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree about the extra place for a fuel leak. There’s already enough places. But, for ease of getting to it to change it and easy installation, it may be answer for a plug and play type filter. I’m going to have a look and see what’s out there.
Framerail is pretty easy to get to.

Screenshot 2024-05-24 at 11.38.08 AM.png

Angrey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Where you locate it shouldn't really make a difference.

Honestly the factory filter location isn't that bad, you jack up the car, zip off a couple of fasteners to remove the cover plastic and it's right there under the driver's side. Even has quick connects to swap it out.

That's where I placed my own filter. I repurposed the factory line to be a return line so initially I turned the factory filter around (it's directional) but later had a leak problem with it so I just eliminated it.

Anyone running without a fuel filter is very foolish. Even ginormous aftermarket injectors require very stringent filtering or it voids the warranty. If I recall Injector Dynamics warns that if you don't run a 10 micron or lower, it will void their warranty (not sure how they practically enforce that but whatevs).

Having a clogged injector is potentially motor nuking. I didn't realize there are really people out there running no filter.

At any rate, put it anywhere between the pumps and the rails, shouldn't matter, but there's really not much wrong with where the OE location resides.

Sponsored

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@Angrey only the 5.2’s with factory twin pumps have the filter under the car. The gt’s is built into the bucket and none under the car. But the aftermarket dual pump setups delete the bucket filter, leaving only the socks.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Pretty
Hello.

Has anyone put in a fuel filter in the engine bay? Bad idea?

I have the Edelbrock SC and there’s the braided line going to the fuel rails. Thought about putting one between the junction of the braided line and the rails. Would need a female end male end filter to basically put it in plug and play. Anything like that out there?

Thanks!
Completely doable once you start looking at using PTFE line and AN fittings. If you are using the factory fuel system, you can get the 3/8" quick connect to -6an fittings for the hard line on the firewall and the fuel rail, and then run PTFE line anywhere in the engine bay you want so that the fuel filter is easy to get to, and away from the exhaust manifolds.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...u_sqs0ZGHMS0gjXmvDRCIHqxa3ynyGPxoCJPUQAvD_BwE

https://www.beefcakeracing.com/radi...dJZSpJaHYe3whgwc2X4DZtx9cS9G48ZBoCaVQQAvD_BwE

https://www.racetronix.biz/p/adapter-10-orb-male-6-an-male-al-bk/adf-495113

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...wqtfbsyTJmap1XmGIUv2_Em_7Rvt8YIBoCBEgQAvD_BwE

https://www.racetronix.biz/p/-6-hose-teflon-conductive-ss-black/tft1170-06b

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Could potentially do it at the connection point from the EB 180* joint to their braided line. Would likely only need the filter and then a Dorman female to female connector. Dorman 800-191 is the part I see. Not sure if this is correct though. Could use a factory ford filter then I think.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-50971-800-191.aspx

Does that look correct?

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Could potentially do it at the connection point from the EB 180* joint to their braided line. Would likely only need the filter and then a Dorman female to female connector. Dorman 800-191 is the part I see. Not sure if this is correct though. Could use a factory ford filter then I think.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-50971-800-191.aspx

Does that look correct?
idk man, I don't think I would trust that little plastic gizmo for very long. The fuel system is not a place to cobble some shit together or go cheap on.

OP
OP
Torinate

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
True. That was the first one I found.

What size is that line? I thought 3/8 but read 5/16 somewhere.
Sponsored