FRONT ONLY coil over?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Can't say I disagree. And don't get me wrong, even if I complain about the GT350R springs not being stiff enough in the front, the combination of GT350R springs with FP track struts and shocks is an order of magnitude improvement over the stock performance package set-up. For all the gushing I do about my old e46 suspension, I didn't like the double adjustable Konis I had in front; for the reason you stated, poor low speed compression damping.
However, I do stick with my argument that a comfortable (relatively) well balanced system can have significantly different ride frequencies front to rear. I believe it comes down to individual preferences and how the rest of the system is tuned; i.e. bars, shocks and bushings.
100% agreement
Sponsored

OP
OP
er1kgr33n

er1kgr33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, 1965 GT
https://www.harrop.com.au/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=961

I'm glad I could stir up all these outside thoughts. But, through all the doubt I found what I was looking for. So the attached link is a company out of Australia that I found that offers a system similar that I am looking for so I am going to reach out to them. They use a coil over ONLY up front. Imagine that.

(edit) Hey look, even more:
https://vorshlag-store.com/products/mcs-tt1-single-adjustable-dampers-ford-s550-mustang

https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...e-Rear-Ride-Height-Kit-2015-2020_p_12594.html

Last edited:

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
You are acting as if you are trying to prove some sort of point? I'm not sure anyone is saying that a front coilover ONLY is not a viable solution - but they are stressing the importance of a balanced F to R system.

Imagine this: the S550 has a front coilover ONLY, stock!

OP
OP
er1kgr33n

er1kgr33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, 1965 GT
You are acting as if you are trying to prove some sort of point? I'm not sure anyone is saying that a front coilover ONLY is not a viable solution - but they are stressing the importance of a balanced F to R system.

Actually if you're paying attention to the thread, BmacIL said "In short, it is impossible to isolate the front and rear, and the whole suspension of the vehicle (and the body and unsprung mass kinematics it is responsible for) is a system. Match your front to a similar setup as you have on the rear. If you have Konis, put the same type of Konis on the front. If you have a stock-like rear spring rate with a drop, do the same up front. It's a full system, and I don't have time to, and will not explain the physics for you.".

So yes...someone here is saying that. My point is being proven to him. I see he liked your post so clearly he thinks somehow youre defending his ridiculous claim of impossibility. We can go back to my original question of where to get front only (isolated) coil-over "kit". Certainly we (& especially him) could have kept the responses to that. For him or anyone to jump in with opinions like his (which are wrong) wasn't called for unless they are trying to steer me away for reason they list.

In the future I would hope he and others will be more diligent in providing answers to people on this site. I came here to these forums to share my 20+ years of knowledge of building mustangs and would hope I could get reliable information from others on this site as well.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
it is impossible to isolate the front and rear, and the whole suspension of the vehicle (and the body and unsprung mass kinematics it is responsible for) is a system
This, what I wrote, is true whether you want to believe it or not. There is no way to change something on the front that doesn't also affect the rear, and the car as a whole. The use of the word impossible is completely justified. My opinions aren't opinions on this matter: it's physics.

Since you didn't outline any specific goals for the car or shortcomings that you want to address, you're going to get the answers you got.

Sponsored

KellTrac

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kelltrac.com
Vehicle(s)
All of them
I'm paying attention. All I see is a a lot of factual claims with no data being shown.

You seem to have it all figured out. I wish you the best of luck!

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

Right, as are a number of aftermarket systems (required for some classes of Solo, etc.). Yet most of those systems cannot be bought for just the front or rear, only together as a package.

I love it when someone asks a question on the forum, then gets mad and bad mouths most of the people who reply. If you already knew all the answers or were smarter than everyone else, why ask?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

Right, as are a number of aftermarket systems (required for some classes of Solo, etc.). Yet most of those systems cannot be bought for just the front or rear, only together as a package.

I love it when someone asks a question on the forum, then gets mad and bad mouths most of the people who reply. If you already knew all the answers or were smarter than everyone else, why ask?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Seriously! As I stated earlier, it's just people seeking confirmation bias. Don't post on a forum for that.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Does anyone know of a decently priced FRONT ONLY coil over set that is better then just a drop spring. I'm sure the argument is they are all better but I hear plenty of critics here about the SR and comparable priced kits. I like my rear setup currently and think my front could use something different. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Also, does SR even have their own website?
Steeda: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-front-coilovers.html

There's a forum discount and they have frequent sales.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Does anyone know of a decently priced FRONT ONLY coil over set that is better then just a drop spring. I'm sure the argument is they are all better but I hear plenty of critics here about the SR and comparable priced kits. I like my rear setup currently and think my front could use something different. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Also, does SR even have their own website?
You can buy individual shocks from,any of the manufacturers just call them and ask for a service replacement. It's usually more expensive this way

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
er1kgr33n

er1kgr33n

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, 1965 GT
I asked where to source one. I never asked for the opinion of whether or not I should do it.

Steeda: https://www.steeda.com/steeda-s550-front-coilovers.html
There's a forum discount and they have frequent sales.
Thank you. I love Steeda. It appears they really have the S550 platform figured out and are competitive in their pricing. They have reached out to me.
Sponsored