Front End Noise Mystery

Raven9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 1967 Mercury Cougar
Mine has also done this from day one. I always figured it was wheel rub on something and the dealer could never find it either. I think I will revisit this armed with this info, thanks guys.
Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Wide front tires and only at full lock means large stress on the steering rack/shaft/couplers.
Good luck on repair.
I have picked up a slight knock backing out of my garage because it requires full lock due to our excellent turning radius (sarcasm :) ).
Subscribing.
BTW my ā€˜14 with big 2ā€ primary headers does it also. We isolated it to the steering shaft but itā€™s only full lock so Iā€™m living with it.
-J

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
I finally got around to taking my car back to the dealership. They wanted to send it to the body shop to look for bad welds but I insisted they replace the steering shafts first. Happy to report replacing the steering shafts fixed the issue. Feels good to finally have it done.

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
I finally got around to taking my car back to the dealership. They wanted to send it to the body shop to look for bad welds but I insisted they replace the steering shafts first. Happy to report replacing the steering shafts fixed the issue. Feels good to finally have it done.
Can you be more specific on the steering shafts? Are we talking about the steering column or the steering rack? Sorry, I am just not sure what you are referring to.

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Can you be more specific on the steering shafts? Are we talking about the steering column or the steering rack? Sorry, I am just not sure what you are referring to.
Upper and lower steering shaft and yolk assembly. Earlier in the thread someone posted actual part numbers they used but it was for a GT350 so I'm not sure if they are the same for GT500's. My SA took care of all that.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Damn. I thought I was the only Iconic black stripe in DFW. šŸ¤£ Howdy Twin. Glad you got it sorted out. The only mystery noise I have is the Track Exhaust around 1500-2k RPMs vibrates some plastic panel on the rear passenger side.

VoodooThomas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500
Damn. I thought I was the only Iconic black stripe in DFW. šŸ¤£ Howdy Twin. Glad you got it sorted out. The only mystery noise I have is the Track Exhaust around 1500-2k RPMs vibrates some plastic panel on the rear passenger side.
Hey JR, yeah man gimme the wave if you ever see me. I've only seen like 2 other GT500's on the road besides mine. Stay warm today!

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Mine is being worked on for this as well as we speak. There seems to be a service bulletin out for this and the vibration of the back deck (if this is what you are speaking of) wsith the car in sport mofde and the exhaust in track mode. It seems there is a module mounted on the deck which is the cause.

As for this post, they have replaced my steering shafts upper and lower 5 times, the sound now is like rocks or bones being crushed when hard locking the wheel to the left, have to ask if they replaced the yolk assembly along with the shafts.

***EDIT 1.4.23***

Spoke with my Service Mgr, yep Yolk assembly also replaced 5 times. I give up as long as its not dangerous crush away.

Last edited:

OF5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2022 Shelby GT500 CFTP
Place thin foam around the perimeter of the trunk light assembly after you pop it out. This is a known issue.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Place thin foam around the perimeter of the trunk light assembly after you pop it out. This is a known issue.
Thanks. I'll Look into it.

Sponsored

308 Cal. Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dee
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 + other 2/4/& 6 wheeled trash barges
Im sure we are all interested to here if you determine the culprit of this phenomenon.

Id be looking at the rearend myself. Yet, many pple had great ideas on how to troubleshoot the steer system for its possibilities in this. So there is no shortage of good ideas as to where one could search.
Perhaps someone outside the vehicle, about 5ft away from the rear quarter panel/rear axle location,
[standing bk so nobody gets run over]
might see something on the inside tire/wheel motion,
(inside = relative to direction ur frt whls are turned at full lock).

Full lock & in reverse, was 1 way to get a Detroit locker to "pop" bk when they were popular. Torsten's are much smoother than a Detroit Locker by design & application.

I could get my '19 Bullitt to 'pop' (or what felt like one anyway) the Torsten diff on 1 particular banked turn, @ a pretty high throttle load, as I was coming out of the turn past the midpoint. The rear of the car felt like it was gonna move outward on me for a dplit second, but didn't. I could never really get the rear diff to replicate this "qwik jerk" phenomenon on hardly any other corner in my travels. Yet that 1 turn could replicate it every time.

I also have to consider if nannys are/were applying brake loads for stability control in that spot, which may have then produced this feeling that went thru the vehicle šŸ¤”. A very qwik moment of possible instability. Very qwik & not concerning, once you were used to it.

That car is gone now & I haven't been able to get our GT500 to do what the Bullitt did thru that turn.

We await any results you may find out on this issue. Regards,

ortizluis927

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2021
Hey Guys. After months of struggle with Ford, I went to the dealership with this forum and the same issue. First they said it was something else. Finally they changed 3 out of the 4 parts listed in a previous comment ( everything except the lower shaft) plus 1 not in that list (Yoke assembly or steering column shaft coupling). Finally, happy to report, it solved the issue.

Listing the parts they replaced on my 2021 Mustang GT.

-FR3Z 3E751 C (Upper shaft)
-W714878 S450 (Yoke Assembly Bolt)
-W707137 S441 (Upper shaft nut)
-FR3Z 3N725 (Yoke Assembly or steering column shaft coupling)

Hope this helps someone else with the same annoying issue. If it does, please post it so other people reading this have more proof for when they go to the dealership.

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
Hey Guys. After months of struggle with Ford, I went to the dealership with this forum and the same issue. First they said it was something else. Finally they changed 3 out of the 4 parts listed in a previous comment ( everything except the lower shaft) plus 1 not in that list (Yoke assembly or steering column shaft coupling). Finally, happy to report, it solved the issue.

Listing the parts they replaced on my 2021 Mustang GT.

-FR3Z 3E751 C (Upper shaft)
-W714878 S450 (Yoke Assembly Bolt)
-W707137 S441 (Upper shaft nut)
-FR3Z 3N725 (Yoke Assembly or steering column shaft coupling)

Hope this helps someone else with the same annoying issue. If it does, please post it so other people reading this have more proof for when they go to the dealership.
glad to hear yours got fixed. This is basically what they did to mine last year.

CaptDave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'21 Grabber Yellow GT500 CFTP, '23 F150 King Ranch
With a different car comes a different mystery. My original 500 had the aforementioned noise that other people have gotten fixed with the steering parts.

My newer 500 now is making a squeaking noise when I steer left or right in a turn (not full deflection). But only after driving for about 10 minutes or so and warming the car up. Back to the dealer for me I guess.

OP
OP
AngelDeath

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
My issue never resolved, but after determining there was no safety issue, I gave up on it, I barely am going to be driving the car hard locked steering to the left. And after hearing all 3 years have this issue was another reason I gave up on it.
Sponsored