17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
Hello everyone!

I’ve got a gnarly clunking noise at low speeds while hitting bumps and turning. Car is a base 17 GT 6MT lowered on Steeda progressives.

Long story short I couldn’t figure out what it was with the front end assembled and
now I have a strut/knuckle assembly hanging freely in my wheel wells.

I’ve very closely inspected all parts/bushings and the fasteners and concluded that the following is good:
- sway bar
- outer/inner tie rods (more on outers below)
- strut/bolts
- 3/4 of the control arms/lateral links
- both wheel hubs (I’ve already replaced a shot one)

I then found the following to be pretty beat:
- driver side control arm (ball joint very loose in comparison to the others
- both sway bar end links (bent)

While disassembling I found 2 bolts to be loose:
- a lateral & control arm bolt both on chassis side (I think the alignment tech loosened them to try and get some camber out of my stock struts/bolts).

So now I think I will have everything working after replacing everything as I’ve picked up Steeda’s adjustable end links and the FP PP control arm kit but have one reservation. Both outer tie rod ball joints - boots are in good shape, and there isn’t any serious notable play. Given this is there anything I should specifically look out for? A way to test if this is my problem?

I am hoping to not have to take this car apart again, the dang thing has been on jackstands for 1.5 weeks already as I wait for parts.

Thanks in advance! Posting on mobile, excuse formatting/typos.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Are the upper strut mounts original? Strut mounts are usually another culprit of front end noises when they start to fail.

I didn’t see it mentioned in your above post as a “check” or if the vehicle might also have aftermarket camber plates either..

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Are the upper strut mounts original? Strut mounts are usually another culprit of front end noises when they start to fail.

I didn’t see it mentioned in your above post as a “check” or if the vehicle might also have aftermarket camber plates either..
Mine were replaced under warranty at 15k miles. Word is it's very common. Clicks,pops,thunks during low speed turning.

Big improvement in steering feel after repair.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)

Not exactly.
Upper strut mounts are all original. Is this in reference to the top hat on the actual strut?
My only check up there was giving it all a good shake and retorquing all 4 of the bolts in the engine bay.
Is there an easy was to diagnose this issue?
Car is out of warranty so I’m happy to take it apart and check while i’ve got easy access.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mine were replaced under warranty at 15k miles. Word is it's very common. Clicks,pops,thunks during low speed turning.

Big improvement in steering feel after repair.
Interesting, and frustrating to hear at the same time lol.

Car is at 25k, and has had minor clunks since 17k that just got worse and worse.
Were you able to easily hear where the noise was coming from? Does it make a unique noise at all?

Sponsored

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, and frustrating to hear at the same time lol.

Car is at 25k, and has had minor clunks since 17k that just got worse and worse.
Were you able to easily hear where the noise was coming from? Does it make a unique noise at all?
It sounds like it comes from the steering and the top of the shock towers while idling around such as parking.

Snaps,Pops sometimes a thud. I fixed mine a month or so after the sound appeared. Drive it longer and the sounds may develop into more.

Warranty work. Dealer would have charged about $800+ The parts were $500.

If you do it yourself. The parts are less than $200 from Ford Performance.

Not a big deal to fix.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like it comes from the steering and the top of the shock towers while idling around such as parking.

Snaps,Pops sometimes a thud. I fixed mine a month or so after the sound appeared. Drive it longer and the sounds may develop into more.

Warranty work. Dealer would have charged about $800+ The parts were $500.

If you do it yourself. The parts are less than $200 from Ford Performance.

Not a big deal to fix.
Awesome, did you just have someone dry steer in a driveway to hear it?

definitely doing it myself, can’t afford labor rates hah.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Front end clunk - start with checking endlink nuts on the swaybar. They always get loose.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome, did you just have someone dry steer in a driveway to hear it?

definitely doing it myself, can’t afford labor rates hah.
I didn't have to. I park in underground parking. With the windows down it was plenty loud. I could also hear with them up and feel it in the wheel.

I do my own work. When the warranty is out.

It an easy install. Just needs aligning afterwards.

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Good call.
They’ve been torqued/inspected many times.

found them bent and am opting for new adjustables, they will 100% get torqued to spec.
Front end clunk - start with checking endlink nuts on the swaybar. They always get loose.

Sponsored
OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I didn't have to. I park in underground parking. With the windows down it was plenty loud. I could also hear with them up and feel it in the wheel.

I do my own work. When the warranty is out.

It an easy install. Just needs aligning afterwards.
Interesting, and it was a clear wheel feeling? I’ll have to test after I reassemble. Visually inspecting and prying on it doesn’t offer any feedback hah.

MNstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I think I have this issue with my car as well. Very noticeable clunk when turning at low speed. I'm planning to take it to the dealer in the spring - definitely not the first time I have heard about this...

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
I think I have this issue with my car as well. Very noticeable clunk when turning at low speed. I'm planning to take it to the dealer in the spring - definitely not the first time I have heard about this...
Keep me posted.

All my parts should be in by tomorrow and installed this weekend.

Hoping new control arms/lateral links/swaybar end links and a careful reassembly solves my issues.

if not - I guess I’m back to the struts.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ +1.

Get some medium strength locktite and torque those swaybar endlink bolts down— especially the bolts on the bar (as opposed to the strut). Cheap and easy fix to try first.

— Mike

OP
OP

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
^^^ +1.

Get some medium strength locktite and torque those swaybar endlink bolts down— especially the bolts on the bar (as opposed to the strut). Cheap and easy fix to try first.

— Mike
Sounds good.

haven’t got the links yet thanks to FedEx but I think that’ll be the plan. Those are a consistent pain across the board it seems like.
Sponsored