Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
  • Banned
These cars seem to have pads installed at the factory that are dust factories.
What type life should one expect out of the factory sets? My thinking is anything making that much dust has to be wearing faster than most "standard" pads.
I have an E/B -HPP, buy it seems the GT cars pads are also dust factories.
Anyone run them till they were worn, then swapped to different pads? if so, what mileage were you at when they needed to be swapped because of wear.
I know many swap them out because of the dust the oem pads produce. I may do the same, Just wondering what type service life they have while producing that much dust.
Thanks for your time.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RagmopInKona

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
  • Banned
The answer is subjective and has no real answer, to many variables
I am just wondering because of the performance package if they are like really short life, like 10000 miles or less.
They are more than likely getting tossed come spring. but was just wondering.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I swapped mine out around 40k miles to hawk pads to see if it would help the dust problem. There was a lot of pad left. I probably could have got 30k+ more miles out of them.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
10-100K miles......

I usually get at least 45-50K out of any front pads myself. I don't use them much at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RagmopInKona

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
  • Banned
10-100K miles......

I usually get at least 45-50K out of any front pads myself. I don't use them much at all.
I have never had pads leave this amount of dust after a 50 mile drive.
Outside of full on race pads on circle track cars.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I have never had pads leave this amount of dust after a 50 mile drive.
Outside of full on race pads on circle track cars.
They probably stop amazing then. I myself, would rather have a little dust and know they are working well and not chewing the shit out my rotors like the lower quality ceramic/metallic low dust pads.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
These cars seem to have pads installed at the factory that are dust factories.
What type life should one expect out of the factory sets? My thinking is anything making that much dust has to be wearing faster than most "standard" pads.
I have an E/B -HPP, buy it seems the GT cars pads are also dust factories.
Anyone run them till they were worn, then swapped to different pads? if so, what mileage were you at when they needed to be swapped because of wear.
I know many swap them out because of the dust the oem pads produce. I may do the same, Just wondering what type service life they have while producing that much dust.
Thanks for your time.
They last long enough that with normal driving (that includes "spirited", "canyon carving" and similar - in none of these anyone brakes hard enough to wear the pads out quickly) they will last good couple of years, probably in excess of 40k miles at least.

Most replaces them because of dust or they just want to change something on their car (or don't how to tell if pad is worn).

OP
OP
RagmopInKona

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
  • Banned
They probably stop amazing then. I myself, would rather have a little dust and know they are working well and not chewing the shit out my rotors like the lower quality ceramic/metallic low dust pads.
I was kinda thinking the pad choice was to allow the rotors to last longer, over less dust and wearing the rotors .

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I pulled the pads from my GT/PP after about 15k miles and replaced them with PowerStop Z23s. Just as much overall bite, a little lower initial bite (which helps with heel/toe downshifts), and way less dust. Not no dust, but less. With the stock pads, I could wash my car and drive the five miles to Cars and Coffee and the wheels were already covered.

When I pulled the pads, they (all four) looked brand new. I pulled my wheels a few weeks ago, with about 40k miles on them, and they have plenty of life left, and I'm a hard, late braker.

JR

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
This makes sense. I switched to hawk pads about 40k miles ago. Great stopping and some dust but much less then the factory pads. I was changing out my front struts last weekend stand realized my rotors are getting pretty thin. Add it to the list of things I'm replacing at 80k.

OP
OP
RagmopInKona

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
This makes sense. I switched to hawk pads about 40k miles ago. Great stopping and some dust but much less then the factory pads. I was changing out my front struts last weekend stand realized my rotors are getting pretty thin. Add it to the list of things I'm replacing at 80k.
Some dust makes sense, my oem wheels are magnetic charcoal like color, and I'd hate to see what happens to a gloss black wheel. I drove 50 miles after a wash, and it looked like I never touched the front rims, in 5000 miles.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I changed all of my pads at around 80k on my EB convertible. I probably could have gotten another 10-15k without trouble. Now it's just a premium with standard brakes but really the dust is no worse than what my other cars make.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Some dust makes sense, my oem wheels are magnetic charcoal like color, and I'd hate to see what happens to a gloss black wheel. I drove 50 miles after a wash, and it looked like I never touched the front rims, in 5000 miles.
Black PP1 wheels suck to clean! I feel your pain.

AZRobert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 400a Atlas Blue Auto, Black Accent
When I Ceramic/Graphene coated my car I did the wheels too and they seem to repel quite a bit more of the dust than they used to - it definitely makes them easier to clean.
Sponsored