Sponsored

From EcoBoost to GT

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
So... as I was driving different Mustangs on the lot trying to find one that was perfectly smooth without any of the driveline vibration, I tested a 16 GT automatic. I had driven an automatic GT side by side when I bought my EB last year and didn't like the heavy front end and steering compared to the EB. I had the same conclusion after driving one again. Just don't like the way the front end feels and heavier steering. I did like the exhaust note. The EB exhaust is best left as quiet as possible. It doesn't sound like an exhaust as much as the car is moaning, lol.
The GT is of course faster but not OMG faster. In fact, I was pretty underwhelmed. The dealer was really trying hard to trade me out of my car and into a GT- both for the vibration problem and just to sell another car. But, the EB is a better balanced car and with an intercooler and mild tune, plenty fast. Most guys would benefit more from spending the extra money on a driving school than on a faster car and the driving school is a blast- although you can't finance it over 5 years ;)
I don't believe that for a second.

And you tested a Base with mediocre suspension, of course it felt heavy. The PP makes the GT handle 100% better, as does any decent aftermarket suspension. And no matter what you do to your EB, you will never beat a GT with full bolt-on mods and still have a reliable car. Tune and turbo it and mod it out all you want, you'll be putting your Ecoboost's life at risk. The same upgrades to a 5.0 will get you far more power and your engine will probably run forever.

Nothing against the EB, as I said earlier it's a nice little car. But let's not exaggerate to justify our EB purchase.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chargersfan81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Race Red
LOL, I had a tuned EB with a few mods.. now from 3-4k vs the PP 5.0, it almost felt the same with the EB feeling a bit more torquier.

But try pulling them both to redline and that's where there's a big difference. EB will have to have the warranty voided just to get close to a 5.0. IMO opinion it's just not worth it to me.. Add a few bolt-ons with the reliable Coyote and it will be night and day.

And the biggest difference is the obvious.. the exhaust note :)

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
When I started reading these forums I was surprised to see so many people making the switch from Ecoboost to GT. Not because of the want for more performance - that comes as absolutely no surprise to me haha.

I was just surprised to see that so many people were trading in 6-18 month-old cars for something basically identical - aside from the powertrain of course.

Does anyone know if this occurred as much with previous-gen Mustangs? People buying a V6 and quickly trading up for a GT?

Oh ya, and congrats to you!
it happened, but it seemed like a lot less. One thing they didn't have going for them until recently is that a base mustang and a loaded one basically look the same, with the same bumpers and all, so it helps the case that no matter what you get they all look good to start.

Kev2Chops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Mustang GT PP Premium
I just went from an Ecoboost to a GT, Mainly cause i loved the Ecoboost but the thing was very unreliable from the beginning. It had a little over 11k in repairs in one year and I was fed up with it, every problem was going to be the "last". I'll be honest, i feel like around city and town the low end torque of the ecoboost was amazing but on back roads where i can get up in speed the GT is a lot of fun but the handling isn't quite there but not bad by any means. Both were Performance packs.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I sometimes feel bad for the EB people. I think a lot of the EB people bought them simply due to hype. The V6 people knew what they were getting and since the 3.7 is already a proven engine, id much prefer my V6 over the EB anyday, plus I like the feel and sound of a N/A engine.
I am predicting that the 2017s will be the last year of the V6's though, I really don't think Ford plans on continuing these V6's anymore. I have heard rumors of a Turbo-6 for the Stang but I cant see them doing that unless they remove either the EB or the GT.

Sponsored

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

ravengenesis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rai
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Oxford White
EB is great for high school / college kids to get a taste of what's to come.

GT is where every true mustang should be.

I thank my fiance every time I sit in my GT because I was tunnel focused on getting a V6 and tuning it.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
ouch at that text pic /\

Sponsored

Jdenkevitz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby GT PP. Former 2016 Ecoboost owner.
Having owned an EB, I think its a better autocross car. Especially if you are willing to go aftermarket. For the price of a PP GT, you have a ton of money to play with on a PP EB.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
i have had both the cars.. EB is good..and lives its potential.. but GT is beast.. raw power has its perks

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Damn is that text for real?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
You can really tell who has the GT as their first "fast" car on this forum. Its kind of sad that on chevy forums they talk about being better than the mustang but on the mustang forum they talk about being better than the lower trim levels.

CCCP1999

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CHAS
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
It's GT for me or go home.
Sponsored