HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
A entertainer is a comedian, a singer, dancer or something of the sort. When the risk of death is present it seems disrespectful to call that entertainment.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
My first thought was the course workers and Marshallā€™s after the driver. Had the car gone halo side first it could of been a very different outcome. True race fans know the risks and donā€™t want to see any one hurt. Or wrecks for entertainment value. Atleast I donā€™t. The driver skill in the last laps was brilliant and pure art to watch.

Including spectators. Flying parts could have easily gone thru that catch fence gaps with stands right behind it.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I think your completely right. And they shouldnā€™t ā€œdumbā€ it down it an attempt to gain fans. The race was exactly what would draw new fans, just present it as it is. It sells itself so to speak.

Yeah I get it. I just gotta get over it

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Well NASCAR turned into a show with lots of glitz and very little relation to "stock" cars we can buy. Anyone bought a Toyota with a front engine V8 lately? The outside skins can be switched. A Ford can be a Chevy or a Toyota using the same chassis. I eventually started to think of NASCAR the same way I do of Pro wrestling. Racing to be sure but also a show to seel tickets and TV time. It changed from back in the 60's sometime in the late 80's and early 90's.

F1 is more and more a show. I recorded the race to watch later as I had some outside work to do. As I was skipping thru the pre-race stuff I saw someone playing a piano that looked to be on the track. Did not slow down the fast forward to find out what that was.

I watch Real Road Racing on the Isle of Mann when I can. The name fits. Fast motorcycles on rural roads with little in the way of safety barriers. Maybe a bale of hay in front of a tree or stone wall. I also watch MotoAmerica superbikes on dedicated tracks. Big difference.

As to the why for a delayed showing of the video of the wreck it is unclear how such matters. I can see not showing the recovery of a mangled body had the outcome been bad. But they have changed most racing. I went to NASCAR races when there was no speed limit on pit road. Such was part of the race. Is racing safer now for the crews? Yes it is. A driver has to do something really odd to get killed anymore.

I was not present but have read of a race many years ago when a Mercedes went air borne and killed something like 80 people in the stands. If memory serves MB was out of racing for a long time after.

Back to the current topic. Why not show the wreck right away? I was going fast forward thru the red flag so it was not a chore of waiting. At least folks would have understood what was going on. Racing is dangerous. Less so now than in the past. Tame it down enough and it will not be worth watching.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
In addition to the Halo what saved Zhou was the fact the the bottom of the car hit the fence. Very lucky all around.

The driving was great. Lewis doing a double pass on Leclerc and Perez was insane. Everybody drove at the highest level.
Hello; Yes, Louis Lewis finished better than Russell in that race, an improvement.

Last edited:

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I was not present but have read of a race many years ago when a Mercedes went air borne and killed something like 80 people in the stands. If memory serves MB was out of racing for a long time after.
1955 24 hour of Le Mans. 83 killed, 180 injured. MB left racing and didn't compete again until 1989.

It's one of the most horrific events in the history of racing.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; not familiar with that. Was just curious. Thanks for the reply.
Hello; A few years back the commentators were different guys. One was David Hobbs a former racer. I did like those three some better than the current talkers, except for the one named Steve. Hobbs had a way of calling Hamilton Louise. It was sort of funny.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
That crew was very good. I wish they were still doing it. We ran in to them in the airport in Austin after the race and shot the shxt with them for quite a while. What struck me and my buddy both was how they were all true race fans, didnā€™t come off like a job for them at all.

Hello; A few years back the commentators were different guys. One was David Hobbs a former racer. I did like those three some better than the current talkers, except for the one named Steve. Hobbs had a way of calling Hamilton Louise. It was sort of funny.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That crew was very good. I wish they were still doing it. We ran in to them in the airport in Austin after the race and shot the shxt with them for quite a while. What struck me and my buddy both was how they were all true race fans, didnā€™t come off like a job for them at all.
Steve Matchett was a mechanic for the Benetton race team when Michael won his championships there. Yeah, he was a fan. šŸ˜„
Sponsored