Formula 1 talk.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I was aware of his background, that’s what made his perspective so good for me. They had a good mix. Hobbs the ex driver, Matchett and Diffey.

Steve Matchett was a mechanic for the Benetton race team when Michael won his championships there. Yeah, he was a fan. 😄
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I was aware of his background, that’s what made his perspective so good for me. They had a good mix. Hobbs the ex driver, Matchett and Diffey.
@sk47 mentioned a guy named Steve. Just want to clarify. I still preferred Varsha over Duffey but I’ve grown to like him on the IndyCar broadcasts.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Steve Matchett is the Steve I referenced. Knowledgeable to be sure but my least favorite of the three. Still much better than those currently doing the spiel.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I actually really like them both. I’d be happy with either in the new group. I could really do without the screamer on Sky though. Every time he starts I cringe.

@sk47 mentioned a guy named Steve. Just want to clarify. I still preferred Varsha over Duffey but I’ve grown to like him on the IndyCar broadcasts.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; While the new car changes made the appearance worse and the engine sound is still odd, the close racing is better. So an improvement.
Not clear about the track limits penalties. Will the same level of scrutiny be at the next race? During the race I lost track of where some would finish with all the 5 second add ons.

If track limits are to be enforced and are of such importance, then make the penalties be a performance thing. In some race formats the penalized car has to do a pit road drive thru or a pure stop and go in the pits and no work on the cars at all. In some motorcycle races there is a "long lap" which is an extra long section of off track pavement they have to travel.

I guess i can understand why more punishing physical barriers are not used. A bigger curb would discourage the drivers to be sure but likely cause real damage.

Maybe some sort of electronic nanny?? When a car goes off limits have some electronic device cut power to the electric motors or some such. Maybe lock out the DRS. That way a driver can run off road and the punishment is something to be lived with in the car.

I watched a superbike race over the weekend. Two riders were bumping each other off track in the corkscrew. No penalties for going into the grass. Just very exciting racing.

On another point. I do understand that the cars are weighed at the end of the race. That is why they drive off line so the hot sticky tires can pick up "clag" and add to the weight. I think there must be some amount of fuel left so it can be tested.

I think it was back in the 90's or early 2000's the teams were blending exotic fuels. Got to be an issue. I think the ICE fuel is more regulated now.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
The "best drivers in the world" they can keep from going over track limits, they choose to push it that far because its quicker. Moto GP has limits also and times deleted regularly during Q1/Q2 though i cant ever recall seeing anyone in MGP get into trouble for track limits??? They cant just cut power. Imagine 2 cars battling it out and the first one goes over and auto power cut with the second right behind him. Tracks CAN NOT have hard barriers and grass right at the white line. F1 goes to the track once a year, the rest of the time you have many different classes and vehicles including motorcycles on those tracks. You can imagine a couple motorcycles out for just a fun track day go wide and into that grass thats there to keep F1 drivers going wide... Fact is they are the best, they get to much leniency for track limits as it is.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
The problem with the track limit stuff is the lack of consistency. It’s all over the place, and not the same week in and week out. We’ll leave alone from year to year. For whatever reason the FIA decided this year and this weekend they were going to insert themselves in things. Guaranteed there is some major pushback going on behind the scenes currently. Motogp is an interesting analogy. I like Motogp more then F1, but that said a bike on a track has a much detrimental affect going over the curbing then the cars. I don’t disagree that they can control there lines in most situations. That said also, ever watched Nascar on a road course! Lmao. Those guys damn near ignore most the corners and use the grass as part of the track.

The "best drivers in the world" they can keep from going over track limits, they choose to push it that far because its quicker. Moto GP has limits also and times deleted regularly during Q1/Q2 though i cant ever recall seeing anyone in MGP get into trouble for track limits??? They cant just cut power. Imagine 2 cars battling it out and the first one goes over and auto power cut with the second right behind him. Tracks CAN NOT have hard barriers and grass right at the white line. F1 goes to the track once a year, the rest of the time you have many different classes and vehicles including motorcycles on those tracks. You can imagine a couple motorcycles out for just a fun track day go wide and into that grass thats there to keep F1 drivers going wide... Fact is they are the best, they get to much leniency for track limits as it is.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Hello; Yes to cut power the instant a car crosses a line during a heated battle would be an asinine way to dampen power. Do not think I stated such. With all the tech around some sort of plan could be had.

Pretty sure I did state that more punishing physical barriers would not be the way to go. So not sure what difference you are hinting at.

As inthehighdesert stated, the lack of even enforcement on this and other rules is more of an issue. Seems to never be mentioned some races and as in the last race many tens of citing's. Here is one way to think of it. Say some team or driver never crosses track limits and never pushes the limits in any way. That car may be slower for racing within the rules. So, I get why drivers push the limits. Basically, do the rules bit the same way each race. The teams and drivers will figure it out.

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
..snip
Moto GP has limits also and times deleted regularly during Q1/Q2 though i cant ever recall seeing anyone in MGP get into trouble for track limits??? .................
happens regularly during the races and even in the free practice sessions. Long lap penalties or if they hit the green on the last lap a 3second time penalty. It has changed the outcome of the podium a few times IIRC.

AS someone pointed out, putting walls or barriers at the side of the track is fairly dangerous for cars and deadly for motorbikes. Rules are rules, cross over into the green strips or cross the line coming out of pit lane, cop a penalty. Apply fairly and evenly or remove the rule < should apply to any rule tbh.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
The problem with the track limit stuff is the lack of consistency. It’s all over the place, and not the same week in and week out. We’ll leave alone from year to year. For whatever reason the FIA decided this year and this weekend they were going to insert themselves in things.
The FIA are losing their minds this year. More and more BS as we go through the year. It's a real shame as the racing has been better than in past years.

Guaranteed there is some major pushback going on behind the scenes currently. That said also, ever watched Nascar on a road course! Lmao. Those guys damn near ignore most the corners and use the grass as part of the track.
Nascar on road courses has always been fun. But even they have track limits on the restrictor plate tracks (The yellow line at Daytona & Talladega)

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
On another point. I do understand that the cars are weighed at the end of the race. That is why they drive off line so the hot sticky tires can pick up "clag" and add to the weight. I think there must be some amount of fuel left so it can be tested.
Yes, fuel is also measured at the end of the race. Penalties have been given out for low fuel.

I think it was back in the 90's or early 2000's the teams were blending exotic fuels. Got to be an issue. I think the ICE fuel is more regulated now.
Though you would appreciate this.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-...urce=email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=campaign

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Yes, fuel is also measured at the end of the race. Penalties have been given out for low fuel.

Though you would appreciate this.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-...urce=email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=campaign
Hello; Yes, if the amount of fuel is too little there is a penalty. My understanding for this rule is so there will be enough fuel left in the tank to test. The idea was teams might slip some juiced up fuel in the car for a race. More likely back when there was refueling if that is a correct memory. Anyway, the fuel can be tested to check if it is altered at the end of a race.

I tried to read the link. After a few seconds I had to accept cookies to be able to read further so i exited.

On another F1 topic. I skip thru a lot of the prerace and after race stuff. I missed the "bad fan" stuff. What was that all about?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)