Formula 1 talk.

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Yeah, my interest in F1 is starting to wane.........

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I just got home and saw the results. What a joke. Something even NASCAR wouldn’t do. Half points for no race, genius!! :facepalm:
Yeah, to fill space during the delay, the commentators discussed and debated rules. Exposed a lot of gaps and weirdness in the regs. Agree, however, with canceling the race.

Zandvoort is only a few hours away from Spa, but next week is supposed to be clear. So, hopefully, next week's race won't suffer the same fate.

Edit: The drivers finished according to their qualifying results. So, that makes the parade laps behind the safety car even goofier. Seems like the rules would simply say that, "if, after qualifying, the race cannot occur due to safety or some other unavoidable reason, drivers will receive 1/2 the points of a normal race, based on their qualifying position." Done deal.

Last edited:

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely the right call not to properly start that race. I've seen far, far too many serious crashes this year, including a fatality last month at a race track. Only today, I was at Brands Hatch and a car vaulted the barriers and ended up in the trees. And as for Spa, we had the monster shunt in the 24H, the W Series incident, and Lando in Q3. That's just at one corner, and before we get to pervious years, like the SMP backflip, Anthoine Hubert's crash or Magnussen in 2016. If the race had gone ahead, I have a horrible feeling someone would have gotten seriously hurt

As for the awarding of points, I'm a little torn. Every championship in the UK has the same rule about half points after two laps, and it's been a part of the F1 rules for the best part of seventy years, but it does seem a little silly. That said, I've been to a race that, due to adverse weather conditions (a fog bank rolled in) spent the entire duration behind the safety car. And, as the full race was completed, full points were awarded. So I guess there's a precedent there of sorts.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Absolutely the right call not to properly start that race. I've seen far, far too many serious crashes this year, including a fatality last month at a race track. Only today, I was at Brands Hatch and a car vaulted the barriers and ended up in the trees. And as for Spa, we had the monster shunt in the 24H, the W Series incident, and Lando in Q3. That's just at one corner, and before we get to pervious years, like the SMP backflip, Anthoine Hubert's crash or Magnussen in 2016. If the race had gone ahead, I have a horrible feeling someone would have gotten seriously hurt

As for the awarding of points, I'm a little torn. Every championship in the UK has the same rule about half points after two laps, and it's been a part of the F1 rules for the best part of seventy years, but it does seem a little silly. That said, I've been to a race that, due to adverse weather conditions (a fog bank rolled in) spent the entire duration behind the safety car. And, as the full race was completed, full points were awarded. So I guess there's a precedent there of sorts.
1/2 points after 2 laps makes sense to me if the race is called after two laps, meaning it was properly started. In this instance, they called for a delay before the race officially started. Then, they waited until the weather was clear enough to do two parade laps behind the safety car. So, everyone had to keep their qualifying position. In reality, even after the delay it was not clear enough to actually race if they did not have the safety car keeping things together. Time to learn from the precedent and amend the rules.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
4 hours of my life that I will never get back............

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Kind of like Merc making a deal with the FIA to crash Redbull for two races in a row and
get virtually zero penalties a d take over the manufacturer and driver standings? Its disappointing the race didnt happen. It was t safe to run and F1 isnt setup like nascar for example to run on Monday. Thought it was comical and hypocritical for Hamilton to be posting on social media while waiting for the rain and stating it was unsafe for them to the run and at the end flip and say it was bs they didnt run and the fans should get there money back. Guy never miss’s an opportunity to play both sides.

I bet Red Bull made a deal with the weather.

Last edited:

V8 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F-150 XLT 5.0 V8
I hope this rule gets changed. That was not a race. No points should have been awarded. The race should have been delayed to another day.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Agree with all about rescheduling. The track is available for the next few days. Unfortunately, today's forecast is only slightly better than Sunday's. Sun won't finally be back until Tuesday--hazards of having a track near the Battle of the Bulge--infamous weather patterns. Also, doubt many of the fans could stick around for a rain check.

So, under these conditions, either 1/2 points (or less) based on qualifying or no points at all. Personally, I'm for the qualifying points when qualifying occurs.

That gets to Hamilton's point. Not racing would have been the right call. However, F1/FIA decided to call it a "race." By "racing" F1/FIA and Spa-Francorchamps were able to keep all of the money, because the "race" actually happened. Ultimately, the fans are the ones who bore the brunt of it. They stood out in the pouring rain the whole time and received no refund in the end. That was a rip off.

To summarize Hamilton--
-There was no way for the drivers to safely race on Sunday
- It's unfortunate things are not set up for them to have a makeup race
- The two laps were a farce, not a race--should not have happened and should not have been considered a race
- Since there was no real race, the fans should get a refund

Interestingly, when one looks at the totality of his statement(s), rather than manipulated snippets, it's clear that he is saying the same thing as everyone on this thread...interestingly.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Think Hamilon is going to give up his check for race day? I highly doubt it. This is also the same guy that drug his contract netotiations out for months on end over money. He’s done that repeatedly throughout his career. If the shoe was on the other foot and he had pole and got the points yesterday his tune would be different. I don’ think the FIA will change one thing about the rules and this type of situation when its all said and done, regardless of what is said in the next few days.

Agree with all about rescheduling. The track is available for the next few days. Unfortunately, today's forecast is only slightly better than Sunday's. Sun won't finally be back until Tuesday--hazards of having a track near the Battle of the Bulge--infamous weather patterns. Also, doubt many of the fans could stick around for a rain check.

So, under these conditions, either 1/2 points (or less) based on qualifying or no points at all. Personally, I'm for the qualifying points when qualifying occurs.

That gets to Hamilton's point. Not racing would have been the right call. However, F1/FIA decided to call it a "race." By "racing" F1/FIA and Spa-Francorchamps were able to keep all of the money, because the "race" actually happened. Ultimately, the fans are the ones who bore the brunt of it. They stood out in the pouring rain the whole time and received no refund in the end. That was a rip off.

To summarize Hamilton--
-There was no way for the drivers to safely race on Sunday
- It's unfortunate things are not set up for them to have a makeup race
- The two laps were a farce, not a race--should not have happened and should not have been considered a race
- Since there was no real race, the fans should get a refund

Interestingly, when one looks at the totality of his statement(s), rather than manipulated snippets, it's clear that he is saying the same thing as everyone on this thread...interestingly.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Think Hamilton is going to give up his check for race day?
You obviously know little about Lewis and his philanthropic endeavors. He is and has been very generous with his donations too many different causes. In this instance it is not on the drivers to give money back to the spectators. That's on F1 and the FIA.

As far as rule changes, the negative press on what happened this weekend may well spur the FIA to make some changes. Liberty Media hates negative press.
Sponsored