HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As far as tracks, where have you spectated at? Me personally, I've been to COTA and was going to watch F1 at Silverstone in July (COVID canceled those plans).
COTA and Phoenix (2 years). Worked as volunteer one Phoenix race. Could walk the pits back in those days. Met a bunch of the drivers, including Senna and Berger as they entered the circuit together. My 3 year old even touched some of the cars in the pits as they were just setting up the first morning and nobody freaked out. The Senna Alessi duel was classic. I never saw anyone get the best of Senna like that repass:

Your Favourite United States Grand Prix - 1990 Senna v Alesi - YouTube
Sponsored

Last edited:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have seen some horrific crashes in Nascar and Indycar but I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anything like this in F1.
Yea worst fire I've seen since Berger in Imola:

Last edited:

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I say 54 drivers died in a F-1 race.

Mark Donohue was the most famous American driver to be missed at age 38 after his wreck in practice. Donohue lost control of his March after a tire failed, sending him into the catch fencing at the fastest corner on the track. It was the 1975 Austrian Grand Prix.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I was totally against the Halo bar that was pushed by Juan Montoya ... I thought it looked horrible. If it indeed saved Grosjeans life, than I guess I can except the hideous thing.
Glad he survived that huge crash!!!!!

Sponsored

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I love F1. What a race today. The race was boring but the side show pretty amazing. I'm the beneficiary of F1 and NASCAR safety systems that have tricked down to amateur racing. There was a time we knew about HANS but only the pros could buy them. We used wright strap devices and ISSACs because that is all the unwashed masses could buy. When I could buy HANS I did and paired that with the 4 shouldbelt HANS shoulder harness developed by David Coultard. I loved that belt system but people around me thought I was nuts. When I started welding my own cage it was "X" bars, then my next cage was NASCAR bars and now my newest 2019 build steals from the C5R vette crashbox and NASCAR Impaxx foam from Dow chemical. I have the Impaxx crash attenuation foam sandwiched in my door and ruduced side NASCAR bars and intrusion plate. We also went from very unsupported seats to full containment where the COT NASCAR goal was to monocoque the interior of a tintop car. I'm also just starting to see my open wheel brothers adding halos to their open wheel cars.
1111.jpg

20200606_125821.jpg

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
If it weren’t for the halo, Grosjean wouldn’t have a head. Glad he’s okay. He was in there for a while and I was surprised he didn’t come out worse or at all. I remember Massa being hit in the head by a part of Barrichello’s car.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Crazy race weekend. Thank you medical car and staff.

I bet they make some changes and have a dude with full fire protection in the med car now. Someone that can extract a driver if needed.
Agreed. Ross Brawn said they will be looking at a number of things. At least someone didn't need to die for this to happen.

Vettel-ish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 (SOLD) 11 5.0 TRACK 17 Explorer 16 Fusion
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Ross Brawn said they will be looking at a number of things. At least someone didn't need to die for this to happen.
Sucks for roman, that will be his last race ever I am sure. Good driver.

Sponsored

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That race was the second time this year I 100% thought I had watched somebody die in front of me. (The other was Ryan Newman at the Daytona 500, I was in the grandstand for that one!)

Just goes to show how far we've come. Even 5-10 years ago, I doubt Romain would be alive after a crash like that.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That race was the second time this year I 100% thought I had watched somebody die in front of me. (The other was Ryan Newman at the Daytona 500, I was in the grandstand for that one!)

Just goes to show how far we've come. Even 5-10 years ago, I doubt Romain would be alive after a crash like that.
5 to 10? He would have been dead in 2017. The Halo started in 2018. Can't imagine not having one now.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
5 to 10? He would have been dead in 2017. The Halo started in 2018. Can't imagine not having one now.

Fair point. Wasn't a fan of the halo at all on its introduction (I still would prefer an Indycar-esque aeroscreen for small debris) but it has proven itself time and time again. F2 in Spain 2018, Beglium 2018, and now this.