Sponsored

Formula 1 talk.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I wonder in the GRO crash if the indy screen would have worked as well as the halo. The halo might not have prevented massa getting hit in the head by barrichellos spring but the screen would have. I don't think the screen would have saved GRO. GROs impact was only 53g most likely because spliting the barrier spread off energy that his body would have endured.
Sponsored

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder in the GRO crash if the indy screen would have worked as well as the halo. The halo might not have prevented massa getting hit in the head by barrichellos spring but the screen would have. I don't think the screen would have saved GRO. GROs impact was only 53g most likely because spliting the barrier spread off energy that his body would have endured.

I think if it was similar to the IndyCar screen it would still have been OK. The IndyCar screen still has the vertical bar for support, so probably would have had a similar effect on impact. Whether it would have been more of an obstruction for him getting out is a concern though.

XeninWorX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
KC
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang
The halo is made of thick titanium. I don’t think the Indy screen is as strong.

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
That was a tense few minutes before they showed you what actually happened. When they don’t cut to the scene or show a replay that’s when I get very worried.

I know some of the drivers were upset about the looping on the television but I don’t know what they expected once GRO was confirmed to be OK. They will be showing that explosion in EVERY F1 PROMO for the next 10 years...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
The halo is made of thick titanium. I don’t think the Indy screen is as strong.
I would agree. Indycar looked at the Halo but passed on it as they were more concerned with debris coming into the cockpit. Actually if F1 used the Aeroscreen Romain may not have survived. That screen could have injured Romain and/or prevented him from getting out of the car.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I know some of the drivers were upset about the looping on the television but I don’t know what they expected once GRO was confirmed to be OK. They will be showing that explosion in EVERY F1 PROMO for the next 10 years...
I can certainly understand the way Daniel and some of the others felt. They are human and to see that over and over had to play head games with some of them. Show it once or twice during the race and then move on. Plenty of time after the race to dissect very second (which they did).

Littleredd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT W/PP2
I can certainly understand the way Daniel and some of the others felt. They are human and to see that over and over had to play head games with some of them. Show it once or twice during the race and then move on. Plenty of time after the race to dissect very second (which they did).
Lol, but what else would they show during an hour long red flag?

Don't get me wrong, I understand why the drivers were bothered, I just didn't expect any different.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
In the early days of halo testing I saw FIA video of a wheel and tire being fired out of a cannon at the halo. It was violent but protected the driver. I'm not sure anyone would have thought to test the halo by spliting a barrier with it.

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Grand Highlander Hybrid Max Limited
While I agree the halo has proven to be a good idea, until the investigation is concluded we do not know if this really played a part in saving his life. We may never know if they decide not to release that info.

On another note, who is going to be in LH car now that he tested positive for Covid? I believe their reserve drive is Vandorne? Will be interesting to see how someone else performs in the car.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Wow lewis out for the next race. At least max has a chance now..
Amazing, considering how careful Lewis and the entire team has been. Just goes to show no one is safe from this virus.

Anyway should be very interesting what another driver can do in Lewis’ car. Should be a fun weekend.

Tin O' Spam

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, today's roundup...
  • Lewis will miss this weekend's race due to the big 'rona
  • Stoffel Vandoorne has flown out to Bahrain. He and Esteban Gutierrez are the Mercedes reserve drivers, although Nico Hulkenberg is also rumoured to be in the frame.
  • Nikita Mazepin will drive for Haas next season
  • Oscar Piastri will drive for Prema in F2 next year. He's a Renault junior, who will be looking to take over from Fernando Alonso in 2023
  • Romain Grosjean is apparently talking to the team about returning to the car in Abu Dhabi
  • Red Bull are delaying their 2021 driver line-up decision until after Abu Dhabi
  • Swiss driver Ralph Boschung has signed for Campos Racing for the 2021 F2 season
In other words... slow news day!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Stoffel Vandoorne has flown out to Bahrain. He and Esteban Gutierrez are the Mercedes reserve drivers, although Nico Hulkenberg is also rumoured to be in the frame.
Gutierrez cannot get a super license so he is a no go. Hulk is the better driver but I think Mercedes would like to see Stoffel in the car. He has been mentioned as a possibility for Bottas' seat.

Nikita Mazepin will drive for Haas next season
M. Schumacher's ride should be announced by Haas any minute now.

Romain Grosjean is apparently talking to the team about returning to the car in Abu Dhabi
Is there anyone who does not want to see him one more time in a F1 car?

Red Bull are delaying their 2021 driver line-up decision until after Abu Dhabi
Albon's been picking up the pace, literally, recently. Two more decent outings and Sergio is going to be on the outside looking in. Unfortunately.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
looks like Russell made it official on his Instagram.. going to be in the Merc this weekend. I’m excited
Sponsored