Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
That would be awesome. If I remember right back in late 14 and early 15 when people were first modding they were having trouble when they added a ORDP. I remember one of the problems was exhaust smoking but I don't recall the technical details.
Smoking from adding a more free flowing exhaust on a Turbo car that, typically, love less back pressure is new to me. I know I came from bigturbo SRT stuff so I'll have to read on that and see what was going on

IMG_1105.jpg
Sponsored

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
That would be awesome. If I remember right back in late 14 and early 15 when people were first modding they were having trouble when they added a ORDP. I remember one of the problems was exhaust smoking but I don't recall the technical details.
Is the smoking coming from the exhaust itself? I suppose if the turbos are small enough that getting rid of a big restriction would increase their RPM past a safe limit and could cause seal issues on the turbos but that would have to be a hell of a difference just from a turbo back exhaust!

Ok so since the computer controls boost adding a free-flowing exhaust may cause boost to go up beyond regs which the computer would then clamp down on and I can see requiring a Tune to lower boost levels. He works with HPtuners so he will take a look when he gets time and see what's out there to review on his end.

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Ok so after seeing these are not MAF cars it's super important to have a tune for every mod you do... If I do the FP tune I really would want to run the intake they supply for the reason of the cars computer flying blind for measuring changes in air flow!

That's not even debatable for me after talking to the Tuner I know

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Is the smoking coming from the exhaust itself? I suppose if the turbos are small enough that getting rid of a big restriction would increase their RPM past a safe limit and could cause seal issues on the turbos but that would have to be a hell of a difference just from a turbo back exhaust!

Ok so since the computer controls boost adding a free-flowing exhaust may cause boost to go up beyond regs which the computer would then clamp down on and I can see requiring a Tune to lower boost levels. He works with HPtuners so he will take a look when he gets time and see what's out there to review on his end.
Do a search for blue smoke. There is a big thread on it with all the specifics. It has nothing to do with the tune. It's a problem with the early PCV system allowing too much crank case pressure and stopping oil from draining out of the turbo and pushing past the turbo seal.

JonD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost
Do a search for blue smoke. There is a big thread on it with all the specifics. It has nothing to do with the tune. It's a problem with the early PCV system allowing too much crank case pressure and stopping oil from draining out of the turbo and pushing past the turbo seal.
Thanks, quite a difference!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Thanks, quite a difference!
There's a TSB to have the oil separator replaced by a high flow unit. You can have it done on Ford's dime if you have that issue or you can do it yourself as the part is only $15. OR you could gut you PCV valve and run a catch can. Any of those solutions are viable.

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So here's my experience thus far:

Take my car for scheduled install at 11 AM yesterday. At 6 PM, i'm on my way home in a rental.

Apparently there was some issue with the tune my Dealer had. First it was the voucher code not being accepted and they call Ford Performance for a new one. Then apparently they couldn't get the tune to "take". Tried it several times before handing me my keys back and saying that Ford Performance was closed until January 2nd. They had installed the CAI and said I should be fine to drive it until they hear back from FP. So i hop in the car and go about 2 blocks before I hear a couple sounds i dont like. sounded like something thumping around in my trunk, only i dont have anything thumping around in my trunk. Take it back and they hook me up with a rental, promising to let me know once they get a hold of FP.

No idea what the problem is, but I'm a bit worried. My dealer promised to make things right and I'll trust them to do so. Anyway, just wondering if there have been any other cases like this you guys have heard?

My car is a 2015 Auto, completely stock. Never had any problems with it. Any ideas what might be up?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
So here's my experience thus far:

Take my car for scheduled install at 11 AM yesterday. At 6 PM, i'm on my way home in a rental.

Apparently there was some issue with the tune my Dealer had. First it was the voucher code not being accepted and they call Ford Performance for a new one. Then apparently they couldn't get the tune to "take". Tried it several times before handing me my keys back and saying that Ford Performance was closed until January 2nd. They had installed the CAI and said I should be fine to drive it until they hear back from FP. So i hop in the car and go about 2 blocks before I hear a couple sounds i dont like. sounded like something thumping around in my trunk, only i dont have anything thumping around in my trunk. Take it back and they hook me up with a rental, promising to let me know once they get a hold of FP.

No idea what the problem is, but I'm a bit worried. My dealer promised to make things right and I'll trust them to do so. Anyway, just wondering if there have been any other cases like this you guys have heard?

My car is a 2015 Auto, completely stock. Never had any problems with it. Any ideas what might be up?
Did they leave the something in your tire well? I mean, they should not be near the trunk... they don't even need to put the car up on stands or anything, unless you got some other work done.

Odd....

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Well, suppose it could be in the tire well, but I did check the trunk itself.

Aaron_ATX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 M/T PP 2.3 EB
Went and spoke with my local dealer, specifically the main ford racing service mechanic there. He had not seen the kit yet. Explained my credentials to him, showed him the instructions that came with the kit, and verbally explained what all was involved with the installation.

He and I came to an understanding, I took his name, and he basically said go home and install it myself. So I did...

Air intake / filter took about a hour... gotta say the crappy photocopied pics combined with the half ass instructions are not the best in the world... also the fitment of the new "horn" that you have to cut slightly leaves much to be desired. But mostly it is pretty dang easy.

Logged into the ford performance site, registered, dloaded the procal program, went outside and connected my laptop to the obd II / usb connector, followed the instructions, and completed the tune myself.

Appears to be a read, write, and delete portion. Overall probably took 20ish minutes.

During that time every friggin warning light on the cluster (and others I have not seen) lit up and dinged at me. Once procal gave me the all good, turned the car off (from acc mode) , fired it back up and went for a drive.

(just fyi my car has never seen anything but 91+ octane since the day I purchased it brand new, and I ALWAYS drive in track mode with advancetrac off)

Immediate impressions: First few pulls in 2nd thru 4th at 50-75% throttle you can tell the car is struggling ....

The fake sound pumped thru the speakers is most definitely now disabled. Switching from normal to track mode no longer creates the audible low pitched bs that used to be apparent while at idle.

After putting 30 or so miles on the car in traffic and open roads first thing that jumps out is the low end torque gains in 2nd and 3rd. Feels MUCH MUCH better.

Pre tune I always noticed there seem to be a "dead spot" at light throttle as the car approached boost....pre tune you could goose it slighly when at 0 psi and it would not go into boost unless you gave it more throttle than seemed normal.

Now when reaching 0 psi, the slightest touch of the throttle and the boost begins to build as I would expect it to.

Car is already pulling MUCH better through the powerband, and cleanly above 5k instead of falling on its ass like it used to.

More impressions to come, made 2 trips of 40 miles in it so far, and have not really wrung the car out through the gears like I normally do yet.

Swolekat79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Silver Ecoboost
Fellas,

Appreciate all the feedback and insight. Need a little help. Definitely purchasing and getting tune/CAI installed. After calling multiple dealers here in SoCal area (30 miles in and around Huntington Beach radius), I've only found 2 dealerships..so far..willing to install the upgrade.

1. Kengrody Ford at Buena Park for $895!!!! (product must be purchased and installed by them..meaning I wouldn't be able to purchase the kit at $599 at CJ Pony Parts and just pay for install)

2. Galpin Ford in LA ($901 for purchase and install; however allows me to buy tune kit from another dealer and pay $200 for install only...BUT dealership will cover 3 month of the Ford Performance warranty if not purchased through them and for install only)

I understand piece of mind with the warranty, but these are bit high.

Can anybody recommend a dealer or ASE certified tuner in Socal area for cheap? My fear is if I get installation through a third party tuner that is ASE certified and something goes wrong due to the tune, can I still bring it to a dealership to be fixed who didn't install the tune?

Any strategies or recommendations in purchasing in SoCal area would be greatly appreciated? Is it worth paying $900 for piece of mind or is there better way? Thanks.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Those prices and "rules" are insane. This is how dealers get a bad name. I installed both myself in under two hours and I have never in my life installed a CAI before. This is really a very easy install. I would order it online (can be had for around $530 shipped from Levitown Ford. Then find a certified installer. If something goes wrong and a dealer won't work on the car, contact Ford directly. I am not sure a dealership can just decide NOT to work on a car because basically they dont feel like it or want to force you into their expensive labor rates.
Sponsored