Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Ok so the FP tune is not for everyone. It is for people limiting their bolt ons to maybe an intercooler and exhaust (plus the CAI that comes with the tune). With only exhaust, CAI and intercooler. The FP tune is going to be close to what as custom tuner can do. For anyone looking to add a down pipe, waste gate, etc, this is not the tune for you. I don't know why the custom tune fanboys are so upset? Move on. There is no reason for silly arguments. Each person chooses whats right for them. I had protunes. I now have the FP tune, I think this is better. Its my opinion.

One thing I really dont like about pro tunes is you need to do datalogs, this means WOT in 3rd gear up to redline. Not an option for everyone. My engine blew trying to do a datalog. I am happy to just install the FP tune and be done with it. Will I get bleeding edge performance, no but I am not expecting to. But its miles better than stock.
Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Tunes cannot self compensate, they are designed to do what they were programmed to do.
Datalogging is providing the tuner with the exact information that your car is providing and use that data to properly adjust your fuel, ignition and a myriad of other variables. This includes the quality of your fuel, your altitude, your intended use, and most important, any modifications you have made.
Canned tunes cannot compensate for these variables.
Tunes absolutely can self compensate, all tunes can. It is the way the tables in the ECU are designed. Have you ever tuned a car since ~1999? There are hard coded tables but there are also adjustable. Just for a quick reference, look up fuel trims, short term and long term. That will probably give you the best idea of how that works.

The real issue is how far limits are pushed. Canned tunes are typically conservative because they don't have specifics to your car and your environment so they need to leave room for safety, giving up some performance. Pro tunes can get more aggressive because they can see exactly how your car is responding to input. But all of the tunes have the ability to self adjust in some areas.

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
LOL what did you expect the FP guy to say? He's not going to tell you it's ok to install it yourself and just have a ASE certified friend sign off on it and they will cover the warranty if anything goes wrong. There's a reason require an ASE certified technician to do the install. My point is the requirement is an ASE certified tech has to sign off on it. If you happen to know an ASE certified tech that is willing to do that, you can still get the warranty. Unless you're seriously dumb enough to tell FP you installed it yourself and just had an ASE tech sign off on it. In that case, you're putting your friend in a very bad position.

You keep spreading doubt about what other people say about warranties and technical information but it sounds like you don't know either. It's understandable that if you don't know anything you doubt what others are saying. That doesn't make it untrue. Some of it you just need to use common sense. Some of it, you have to know from experience but best of all you can read the warranty yourself.

The ASE tech is NOT the one that is covering you if something goes wrong. It is FP. You're trying to give people advice on warranties and your move was incredibly naive. You have a relationship with your dealer so they did the install? They did the install because you PAID them to. It's an extremely basic procedure. Then you say, "hopefully they will take care of me." You didn't even get a commitment from them to take care of any issues.

The Ford Dealer is NOT Ford and they are NOT Ford Performance. They are an authorized Ford agent and will do work if they are paid, they aren't doing work for free for anyone. The dealer is an authorized agent for repair and is the first line of inspection and opinion to Ford but Ford has the ultimate say if something will be covered under the factory warranty. The dealer can certainly influence that in how they report to Ford. Once you install any mods that can be attributed to failure, Ford is not going to cover the warranty if they know that to be the case. FP would have to cover it if the warranty was registered properly and if FP is covering the cost, the dealer will happily do the work.

This isn't speculation, if you don't believe me, open your warranty up and actually read it for yourself. Now I'm not saying that your dealer won't help you. It's always possible when they report the engine damage, they omit the part about the Ford Performance tune being installed and it looks like a routine warranty coverage. But if Ford says they aren't covering it, I don't care what you were told, it's not in writing and the dealer isn't going to do the work and provide the parts for free.
I read the warranty... frankly I don't think we are saying different things... you are simply looking for everyone to agree with you. I agree with some of what you are saying...

My point is that someone coming from say a Honda to Ford and don't know a dealer or ASE then a good route for them is to have it installed by a dealer. So you think that is wrong info?

Not sure what the fight is about that.... unless you simply want to save $50 to $100. I don't need to do that. $220 was nothing for a piece of mind and a dealer who had a couple of these under the belt (no matter how many Grandmothers out there who could install this).

But you also seem to think it is not a good idea to form a relationship with a dealer.... I do. Has always worked out for me. If you don't so be it.

Don't really get your soap box.... maybe you can explain a bit better.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so the FP tune is not for everyone. It is for people limiting their bolt ons to maybe an intercooler and exhaust (plus the CAI that comes with the tune). With only exhaust, CAI and intercooler. The FP tune is going to be close to what as custom tuner can do. For anyone looking to add a down pipe, waste gate, etc, this is not the tune for you. I don't know why the custom tune fanboys are so upset? Move on. There is no reason for silly arguments. Each person chooses whats right for them. I had protunes. I now have the FP tune, I think this is better. Its my opinion.

One thing I really dont like about pro tunes is you need to do datalogs, this means WOT in 3rd gear up to redline. Not an option for everyone. My engine blew trying to do a datalog. I am happy to just install the FP tune and be done with it. Will I get bleeding edge performance, no but I am not expecting to. But its miles better than stock.
You blew your engine doing a WOT? You are blaming the tuner. Get a grip.
Newsfash people, don't ever floor you pedal.....

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!

Actually I think it is the argument for the sake of argument.... :lol:

I read a lot of replies going back and forth and most really don't know what the hell they are talking about (and I don't for sure on many subjects, but I don't pretend to know). It is why tune+ finally started the "ask me anything thread"...

Then some just want to "be right" no matter.... one way to do "x".

We all have different situations... whatever works for people....

But then, if we all agreed then this would be one dead az forum. :lol:

And don't worry about Chef jpd.... just a troll... nothing of substance added to this thread so far.

Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Tunes absolutely can self compensate, all tunes can. It is the way the tables in the ECU are designed. Have you ever tuned a car since ~1999? There are hard coded tables but there are also adjustable. Just for a quick reference, look up fuel trims, short term and long term. That will probably give you the best idea of how that works.

The real issue is how far limits are pushed. Canned tunes are typically conservative because they don't have specifics to your car and your environment so they need to leave room for safety, giving up some performance. Pro tunes can get more aggressive because they can see exactly how your car is responding to input. But all of the tunes have the ability to self adjust in some areas.
I stand corrected

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I read the warranty... frankly I don't think we are saying different things... you are simply looking for everyone to agree with you. I agree with some of what you are saying...
LOL I don't need anyone to agree with me, just trying to help. If someone doesn't know their warranty and how they are protected, the absolute BEST answer is for them to read it for themselves. I'm not sure how you can read what I wrote and say we're saying the same thing.

My point is that someone coming from say a Honda to Ford and don't know a dealer or ASE then a good route for them is to have it installed by a dealer. So you think that is wrong info?
I'm not disagreeing with you at all there. It's definitely a good idea to have not only a relationship with your dealer but a good one. They are your first line of defense and if they don't like you, they can certainly make it VERY difficult if not impossible.

Not sure what the fight is about that.... unless you simply want to save $50 to $100. I don't need to do that. $220 was nothing for a piece of mind and a dealer who had a couple of these under the belt (no matter how many Grandmothers out there who could install this).

But you also seem to think it is not a good idea to form a relationship with a dealer (or ASE).... I do. Has always worked out for me. If you don't so be it.
It's not a fight, I simply said that was 1 option. That was the cheap way out, just saying it was possible, not trying to convince anyone to do that.

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

i agree 100% i was just arguing the untruth imho that there was some magic sauce in the fp tune because of some "hidden secret access" crap, its simply a good tune for generic mild bolt ons with a greater chance of warranty help if there is a problem

4bangin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang ecoboost deep impact blue
Im just interested in how this tune performs.all the trolling can stop please.lets hear from the ones who have the tune.so we can make a informed decision.This is probably not the most powerful tune,but most likely the safest.im not trying to get in the 12s.,so this tune maybe something im intrested in

Sponsored

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im just interested in how this tune performs.all the trolling can stop please.lets hear from the ones who have the tune.so we can make a informed decision.This is probably not the most powerful tune,but most likely the safest.im not trying to get in the 12s.,so this tune maybe something im intrested in
it would be perfect for u

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i agree 100% i was just arguing the untruth imho that there was some magic sauce in the fp tune because of some "hidden secret access" crap, its simply a good tune for generic mild bolt ons with a greater chance of warranty help if there is a problem
Finally, a common sense answer to the question without extreme bias.
Thanks

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
You cannot be serious? Have you ever driven a car before?

Every single car I have ever owned has had the back side of the gas pedal slammed into the floor and ran to redline every single time it's driven, and never popped an engine due to this. The gas pedal isn't something to be scared of, and if you are might I suggest something of the Schwinn/Trek/Cannondale variety?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You cannot be serious? Have you ever driven a car before?

Every single car I have ever owned has had the back side of the gas pedal slammed into the floor and ran to redline every single time it's driven, and never popped an engine due to this. The gas pedal isn't something to be scared of, and if you are might I suggest something of the Schwinn/Trek/Cannondale variety?
You seem to have missed the point, the previous poster seemed to have said that his WOT datalogging caused him to blow up his motor.
Read the full posts before responding.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
You blew your engine doing a WOT? You are blaming the tuner. Get a grip.
You realize tuners tell you to go WOT in order to data log right? I didn't say the tune caused my engine to blow. But it can't be ruled out and making part of the deal WOT runs can lead lead to issues.
Sponsored