Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
https://performanceparts.ford.com/dealer-directory/

Try here^^^

Looks like Fairfax, Fredericksburg, and Morningside in MD.
Yeah, probably the one in Fairfax, VA is closest. Many on that locator aren't Ford dealers, they are parts stores. And the one that tw557 mentioned in Manderbach, PA isn't even on the list. There might even be more near me. I guess I'll try calling them. If they would honor the extended warranty I have, I do it in a minute.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
It's actually manderbach Ford in Temple (reading) PA. .

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Quick question. I plan to install the CAI myself, load the files on my laptop, and take it to an ASE tech to do the tune install and sign off on it. How long does it take to just load the tune? I don't want to get charged for 2 hrs if he's finished a lot sooner...

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
About 20 mins to install tune.

Sponsored

TrueBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP
Quick question. I plan to install the CAI myself, load the files on my laptop, and take it to an ASE tech to do the tune install and sign off on it. How long does it take to just load the tune? I don't want to get charged for 2 hrs if he's finished a lot sooner...
Less than an hour

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
The only reason to use this tune is to preserve the warranty. If you don't do it by Ford's rules, you will be as SOL as anyone using aftermarket tunes.
No, this has already been debated and answered. The only reason for YOU to use this tune is the warranty. But for people that want a factory developed tune that has been thoroughly tested in conditions that an independent guy can't possibly do, this is the best option. No doubt that this tune uses information that only Ford has access to. No changing summer/winter tunes, etc. If you have to have the bleeding edge, get a custom tune. But there are a lot of guys that are in the diminishing returns category and 90-95% is good enough.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
diminishing returns category and 90-95% is good enough.
Much of what you say is true. However, the number of shit-eating-grins to be had when jumping up from stock or canned to a pro-tune are exponential, not diminishing. :)

Everyone on here bought the most modded automobile on the planet.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Much of what you say is true. However, the number of shit-eating-grins to be had when jumping up from stock or canned to a pro-tune are exponential, not diminishing. :)

Everyone on here bought the most modded automobile on the planet.
^^^ This :D. Can't tell you how big of a smile and how many "devious" laughs of joy the Livernois tune put on my face.

However I will say this, the Ford Performance tune is a nice intermediate. Its a drastic improvement over stock and should easily put the car into the mid 13's, possibly low 13's with gearing and driver mods. I wouldn't be surprised if a skillful auto could manage to squeak into the 12's even with some bolt ons or possibly a re-geared manual. There's quite a few reviews of the FP tune comparing it to a GT in actual drag race and most of them only mention the FP tune as the upgrade, they managed to match the GT in most cases. The GT PP can run about a 12.9~13.0 quarter mile. But I digress, we will have to wait (or I will) have to wait until my local track is finished hopefully in the spring and test that out.

Now that I have passed the 200 mile octane learn requirement, I can tell you that literally at 200.1 miles the timing kicked in. The car sounded more gritty, felt more gritty than the initial FP tune, but it had much more power and pulled decently strong all the way.

I think Fox's dyno numbers don't really give us an apples to apples comparison because I can tell very easily by the "butt dyno" the Livernois 91 is making more power, even more so their 93 which I've also run.

But that does not mean the FP tune is not good, it is. The Ford Performance numbers look to be similar to a Cobb Stage 1 tune, but you get the exceptional reliability of an OE factory tune and a warranty. This really should be paired with a Front Mount Inter Cooler, stage 1 or large, doesn't matter. The stock unit heat soaks after just 2 gears WOT even on a stock car...it will be even worse with the Ford Performance tune assuming it isn't freezing cold out (in which you might just get through 3rd before heat soak sets in).

For those wanting more power, but still wanting to keep the warranty, this is a great first step. I will personally keep this on my car until the 36k warranty is up (at 12k now) as hedge against any of those pesky Ford factory defects like "shearing cam bolts" etc. at 18k miles which would unfortunately be blamed on the engine management software even if that was not the cause. That's just a reality and an unfortunate one, it's like a $500 insurance plan the way I look at it.

The car definitely is quick with the FP tune, there's no doubt about that and it definitely takes 200 miles before it learns your octane and provides the "fun timing" profiles.

I stand by what I said earlier that if you want an OE like tune, get the FP tune, run your warranty period then upgrade to Livernois after, who also works directly with Ford and Ford Performance. Ford Performance isn't the only one, there are actually 3. Roush I believe also has direct access to Ford engineering as they also offer a FP like option and you can buy Roush editions EB's from the factory...so there are 3 companies that offer OE like solutions in terms of their R&D development process and have that inside access and I think any of them have proven they provide highly reliable solutions.

The difference is that Livernois isn't handicapped by CARB (emissions requirements) which can be quite difficult to meet and really limit performance nor are they handicapped by having to use 91, they offer 91, 93 and race tunes on your programmer (as well as stock), which in about 5 minutes you can change if needed in an emergency. They also offer an in house developed 160F thermostat, which allows them to push even more power due to cooling. Again, my Ford Performance contact specifically told me they cannot use 160F thermostats because they can't meet emissions requirements and that's the reason as I asked them about it.

The FP tune in my opinion is how the Ecoboost Mustang should have come from the factory. It would be in direct competition with the 2016 Camaro V6 A8 which runs about a 13.4~13.5 quarter mile and also the $40,000 WRX STI which also runs a 13.4 stock. Then again, Ford's V8 sales might take a decent hit with mid to low 13 second Ecoboost mustangs from the factory and Ford can't have that!

I'm starting to wonder if Ford designed this into the Mustang product line intentionally. THink about it, the stock EB was in direct competition with 2015 and prior Camaro V6's, WRX's and other similar cars. Then GM steals the ATS chassis and puts in a new engine, bamo they have a real contender on their hands that's fast, nimble and decent looking, well at least in my opinion and compared to the original. Ford obviously threw out the Ecoboost Mustang with an overly conservative tune, very conservative. So they had power on the table. It benefits them because now their partner in crime, Ford Performance, can make a decent profit off of the droves of Mustang Ecoboost owners looking to upgrade (at least those that don't want to waive their warranty and are still in warranty).

Last edited:

gotboost?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow
[MENTION=15518]jbailer[/MENTION] - I had mine installed at Waldorf Ford. Charged $225.89. No issues in about 5 weeks of driving expect slightly lower MPG probably due to me just enjoying the shit out of the new found power.

Sponsored

Red Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Unfortunately we have not been able to get my brother-n-laws car to the track prior to his install next Wednesday. He is really enjoying the stock power as he came from a I4 Fusion, and can't wait to hear how much he like the new FP Tune.

Installing on Wednesday and track times to come after the holidays. His car is an Auto with 3.55's so hoping to run some very good times.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately we have not been able to get my brother-n-laws car to the track prior to his install next Wednesday. He is really enjoying the stock power as he came from a I4 Fusion, and can't wait to hear how much he like the new FP Tune.

Installing on Wednesday and track times to come after the holidays. His car is an Auto with 3.55's so hoping to run some very good times.
Make sure you get 200 miles on the car before you try the track or you will be disappointed. You may actually be slower. Some one on this thread tried to run the 1/8 mile after the first 30 miles and their 0-60 and 1/8 miles were actually slower. The base line octane function on the FP tune is very conservative. It takes a full 200 miles to learn and it makes very noticeable difference in how the car pulls.

You can also make sure to maximize the octane learn process by performing 3-5 pulls in 4th gear from 50-75 mph at 50% throttle according to my FP contact, otherwise it may take another drive cycle or two (each drive cycle is 200 miles) to fully learn.

Do not switch octane, keep it consistent as well or it will re-learn a more conservative timing if you go from 93 down to 91 unless you have no other choice.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Much of what you say is true. However, the number of shit-eating-grins to be had when jumping up from stock or canned to a pro-tune are exponential, not diminishing.
I am going to disagree with you here. I have had both a tune from MAP and tune+ and I feel the FP tune is pretty solid. I think it shifts better and provides smoother power. Am I putting down as much HP? I am sure not, but this is a DD not a race car for me, so I am quite happy. The FP is miles better than the stock tune and custom tunes might be a bit better than the FP tune. I think there is a MUCH bigger jump from stock to FP than FP to custom. I am also hoping for something more reliable. Time will tell.

OP
OP
TheLion

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am going to disagree with you here. I have had both a tune from MAP and tune+ and I feel the FP tune is pretty solid. I think it shifts better and provides smoother power. Am I putting down as much HP? I am sure not, but this is a DD not a race car for me, so I am quite happy. The FP is miles better than the stock tune and custom tunes might be a bit better than the FP tune. I think there is a MUCH bigger jump from stock to FP than FP to custom. I am also hoping for something more reliable. Time will tell.
I'd have to agree. I think the step up from stock to the FP tune is a much bigger jump than the FP tune to after market unless your throwing in bolt on upgrades with the aftermarket, but that's not really an apples to apples comparison.

I have a freeling the FP tune is faster than it feels, because it seems to build boost VERY early, 20~30% throttle on the freeway in 6th and I'm hitting 10~13 PSI. Livernois was more conservative with boost until you really got into it.

Also with the FP tune, it feels like power is there immediately, there's no perceptible lag. With the Livernois there is a perceptible lag, don't get me wrong, it's not unresponsive, but it builds torque in a ramp-like fashion where the FP tune feels like you get everything immediately and it just stays there, it's almost like driving an NA V8. The Livernois feels like a good turbo car should feel, a very short, but perceptible ramp of power that builds quickly and pulls like an ox. Yes after market tunes like Livernois, Tune+, Unleashed etc. will be faster, no doubt.

We really need to get a few FP tuned cars with at least FMIC upgrades on the track and dyno. It's only 9F outside here now, so no tracking for me until spring, but in January I can get my mine dynoed so we can see what it's really putting out with common bolt ons in a manual 3.73. I'll report back on fuel economy on my 500 mile out of state trip as well (unless of course I get hit with snow and spend half of it going 30mph...).

But the FP tune is a really good tune for a street car and you cannot go wrong with with, even if your "stepping down" from a more powerful tune. It's very smooth and fluid and just responds well at all RPM ranges and puts down nice solid power, they definitely put a high level of R&D in it as far as it being a refined tune and that's why it's so enjoyable even if a little less powerful. I dare say the it is the most tested option on the market.

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP

Make sure all the software is installed on ur laptop (this takes about 30-45 minutes depending on internet) and the tune itself takes about 30 minutes
Sponsored