Ford Racing ProCal Tune

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost named Hussy
Sorry for what you are dealing with, how many miles were on it when you bought it used? Wonder what the driving style of previous owner was, but still shouldnt happen.
Sorry for the delayed response. It had 27k miles when I got it. It had a clean Carfax for whatever that is worth.
Sponsored

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Back from the graveyard...

So...am I the only one that feels that the Ford Performance Tune actually has worse driveability than the OEM tune?

I recently had some work done on my car (2015 EB Premium AT), and decided to return to the OEM tune just to keep from having any "I can't connect to your car's computer" complaints like I did previously when the backup camera went out. After loading the OEM tune, I immediately noticed how much slower the car was, and that the boost wasn't going much over 15psi during WOT, but it only took a few hours worth of driving to correct that.

Now that I've been on the stock tune for the past couple of weeks, the car seems to drive much better than it has since I upgraded to the FPP tune. I immediately noticed that it no longer surges during a 3/4 throttle acceleration merging on to freeways, and when going WOT at 5mph the car will now drop down to first gear instead of remaining in second. The latter issue was big for me because low RPM WOT runs are clearly not the greatest for these motors, so pulling out in traffic and immediately going WOT afterwards was always a concern of mine when tuned for this reason.

I have definitely lost some top end grunt with the stock tune reinstalled, and there is a slight bit of turbo lag when going WOT in a passing situation, but generally it seems more composed during every day stop-and-go driving situations. I still have the Mishimoto IC installed with the stock tune, so top end power drop-off isn't as bad as it was when the car was 100% stock, but there is definitely a difference in peak power without the tune.

Rick B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
It sure looks that way. I've had my tune for a year and a half. No problems whatsoever, in summers or winters. If you have a legitimate concern, give Ford performance a call. They will help you.!

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
No way I would want to go back to the stock tune. I haven't seen any drivability issues. It can be a bit touchy and surge a bit in 1st with the transmission in Sport mode but in Drive, it's smooth. I think the tune does wonders for the transmission and there is way more power above 5000 rpm. I drive this car hard and this tune makes this car more enjoyable to me.

solodogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Transmission tune is where I seem to be having some issues. With 3.31 gears, the car refuses to go back into 1st gear once you’re rolling. It doesn’t shift much different than the stock tune with 93 octane does, and when going WOT from a 5-10mph roll it remains in second gear instead of dropping back to first.

Otherwise, the tune is great. Pulls MUCH harder above 5k rpm, and has a smoother power curve. The slight surges I experience at part throttle are no big deal really, just a different response likely due to the wastegate trying to regulate the higher boost over the stock tune.

Sponsored

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang RS1 Premium W/PP
Anyone modify an AIRAID MIT to work with the intake that is installed with the tune? If so how do you like it?

Or has anyone reinstalled the stock intake with the AIRAID tube on the FP tune?

I’m thinking of going one way or the other and want to see if anyone else has tried either option.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Anyone modify an AIRAID MIT to work with the intake that is installed with the tune? If so how do you like it?

I’m thinking of going one way or the other and want to see if anyone else has tried either option.
I reinstalled stock box, high flow drop in filter and airaid tube, car runs way better, quicker acceleration, i also checked with FP and they said no problem.

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
I reinstalled stock box, high flow drop in filter and airaid tube, car runs way better, quicker acceleration, i also checked with FP and they said no problem.
How would you rate the drive ability after going back to the stock box and MIT? Any noticeable differences throughout the rpm band?

I found this pic on Google, so that’s what got me thinking about modding the mit to fit on the FP intake...
278C999A-9A56-4654-878D-ABCB63D1A11C.jpeg

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
How would you rate the drive ability after going back to the stock box and MIT? Any noticeable differences throughout the rpm band?
I'm not kidding, It feels like 30% increase in response and acceleration...

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
I'm not kidding, It feels like 30% increase in response and acceleration...
Alright Lawrence, you convinced me. I’m gonna swap it back in. It’s cold as hell right now, but I’ll post my results when I get it done. Thanks bud!

Sponsored

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
Alright Lawrence, you convinced me. I’m gonna swap it back in. It’s cold as hell right now, but I’ll post my results when I get it done. Thanks bud!
Good deal dont forget hf filter

Rob0381

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Good deal dont forget hf filter
Will do. I already have a K&N with it. But I do want to get a dry filter soon after I swap it back. Now I need to get a GFB DV+ and I’ll be done with it...maybe

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP

I put back my Mishimoto CAI back on shortly after installing the tune. FP said no problem with that. The FP CAI was not loud enough for me lol. I did notice more throttle response. The mishimoto CAI is closed box, so I removed the top and I noticed the gain in throttle response.

JimC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 EcoBoost performance package coupe
I have a certified pre-owned 2017 Mustang EcoBoost with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. Does anyone know if the CPO car warranty is still honored with the Ford Performance tuning like a new car would be?

For some reason my wife is leery of me tuning this one - all I did was blow up my 2013 three times when I put the turbo on it (so of course no warranty). I can't find a definitive answer anywhere on the Ford tuning and CPO warranty.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I have a certified pre-owned 2017 Mustang EcoBoost with a 100,000 mile power train warranty. Does anyone know if the CPO car warranty is still honored with the Ford Performance tuning like a new car would be?

For some reason my wife is leery of me tuning this one - all I did was blow up my 2013 three times when I put the turbo on it (so of course no warranty). I can't find a definitive answer anywhere on the Ford tuning and CPO warranty.
Ford Performance replaces any remainder of the 3/36 warranty that is left on the car as it relates to the engine. After that it is treated like any other tune. If Ford determined the tune caused an issue it may not be warrantied.
Sponsored