Ford Racing ProCal Tune

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost named Hussy
What oil were you using? What type of spark plugs were you running? How long did you run the tune for?
I was using Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5/30 and Brisk RRYS14 one step colder plugs.
Sponsored

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
This is the first FP tune blow I heard of. Likely not the last I am afraid.
There have been a couple. It's still a pretty safe tune I would assume. I wonder if some of what affected me is I live in Denver and at a mile high air is thin maybe the tune needs to be more dialed in for that kind of environmental extreme...just a thought.

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
That's a good idea but I am not sure I know enough about the program to figure that out. I'll look on their website and see if I can figure it out.
if you have the pro cal software installed on your laptop and you have the dongle i can you provide the info to see which file iinstalled

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
if you have the pro cal software installed on your laptop and you have the dongle i can you provide the info to see which file iinstalled
That would be awesome what do you need from me? I have the dongle and the laptop and program and tomorrow off so I'll have a little free time.

Two-Tone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium | PP | FP Tune | MBRP Race w/ 4" tips | Squared 265/40 R19 | every factory option
So I am one of the unfortunate boomers. I was running the procal and some axlebacks. I had the new fuel sensor. I changed the oil more often than specified, same with plugs. I babied my car never raced definitely never tracked. No matter what I say it seems haters still want to say it was my fault it blew...whatever helps you sleep at night I guess. Ford did honor the warranty even though I was at 43k miles because the dealer had told me the procal wouldnt void powertrain and I had that in writing. I wouldnt tempt fate and try again though because while my dealer was ok Ford overall was pretty much pricks about the whole ordeal. Long story long 9 weeks later I got my car back with a replaced long block. Now here's my question. If the tune is on the ecu and they didnt replace the ecu only mechanical parts is the tune still on my car? It feels like it probably is but I don't know enough of the tech aspects to be sure. Any help would be appreciated.
Curious to hear exactly how Ford treated you? I had a service tech tell me over the phone the FP wouldn't void my powertrain or extended warranty I have for another 70k/5 years, but I know I'll get fought tooth and nail if mine does blow.

(BTW, I know being told over the phone doesn't mean jack.)

Sponsored

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
Curious to hear exactly how Ford treated you? I had a service tech tell me over the phone the FP wouldn't void my powertrain or extended warranty I have for another 70k/5 years, but I know I'll get fought tooth and nail if mine does blow.

(BTW, I know being told over the phone doesn't mean jack.)
So here's the short version. I was told via email and had voicemails from their parts dept. that the pro cal wouldnt void my warranty if i bought it from them and had ot installed by them. So after waiting about a week after dropping it off they call to tell me fords gonna warranty it but i get no warranty on new motor and they are not honoring the rest of the powertrain because I should feel lucky they fought so hard to get it covered...not my problem because i was told i would be covered. Then they told me they wouldnt reinstall the tune or give me a refund I was just out the 1200 I paid 5 months earlier because they were sure it was the tune that blew the old motor. Now i thinknits a fine idea but dont like being told thats whats gonna happen instead of being asked. Then I wait 2 weeks and call for an update now they tell me the motor is on back order for 8 weeks and I cant have the loaner anymore because its costing the dealer too much. I call ford cares, the 800 number, and talk to somebody who tells me since Im not in bumper to bumper I dont get a rental or loaner. I explain that the warranty booklet says all repairs should be done in no more than 4 weeks and I just want Ford to step up because they are taking longer than they are supposed to. Again I get told how lucky I am that it is even getting fixed. I get annoyed and give up because this guy doesnt know up from down. 2 more weeks go by and this time I get a call from them. No, my car isnt ready instead was left out during a hail storm and its got significant hail damage I'm informed this is not their fault it is an "act of God" and their insurance wont cover it. So I call my insurance and sure enough this will affect my no claims bonus to the tune of 4k over the next 3 years. So at this point I'm pissed I rant to the service manager (a man who eventually will become your best friend and worst enemy) he tells me its not his call its how Ford works but offers to pay part of my deductable saving himself and the dealer some cred in my book but not Ford corporate. 2 more weeks go by I get my car back. I drive it about 12 miles before I'm sure it isnt right. So it goes back in. Did they not test drive this? 2 days later they are putting a new alternator and spark plugs in because no one gapped them when they put them in the motor. Overall, the dealership put up with a lot of yelling from me and corporate ignored me and still could care less but I have my baby back and thats my consolation prize. 7 weeks and 3 days a new motor, 2 sets of plugs, and an alternator later and she's back with me. Guess that wasnt so short after all...

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP
That would be awesome what do you need from me? I have the dongle and the laptop and program and tomorrow off so I'll have a little free time.
When you connect what is the pcm software id (top center of page) that is listed?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
So here's the short version. I was told via email and had voicemails from their parts dept. that the pro cal wouldnt void my warranty if i bought it from them and had ot installed by them. So after waiting about a week after dropping it off they call to tell me fords gonna warranty it but i get no warranty on new motor and they are not honoring the rest of the powertrain because I should feel lucky they fought so hard to get it covered...not my problem because i was told i would be covered. Then they told me they wouldnt reinstall the tune or give me a refund I was just out the 1200 I paid 5 months earlier because they were sure it was the tune that blew the old motor. Now i thinknits a fine idea but dont like being told thats whats gonna happen instead of being asked. Then I wait 2 weeks and call for an update now they tell me the motor is on back order for 8 weeks and I cant have the loaner anymore because its costing the dealer too much. I call ford cares, the 800 number, and talk to somebody who tells me since Im not in bumper to bumper I dont get a rental or loaner. I explain that the warranty booklet says all repairs should be done in no more than 4 weeks and I just want Ford to step up because they are taking longer than they are supposed to. Again I get told how lucky I am that it is even getting fixed. I get annoyed and give up because this guy doesnt know up from down. 2 more weeks go by and this time I get a call from them. No, my car isnt ready instead was left out during a hail storm and its got significant hail damage I'm informed this is not their fault it is an "act of God" and their insurance wont cover it. So I call my insurance and sure enough this will affect my no claims bonus to the tune of 4k over the next 3 years. So at this point I'm pissed I rant to the service manager (a man who eventually will become your best friend and worst enemy) he tells me its not his call its how Ford works but offers to pay part of my deductable saving himself and the dealer some cred in my book but not Ford corporate. 2 more weeks go by I get my car back. I drive it about 12 miles before I'm sure it isnt right. So it goes back in. Did they not test drive this? 2 days later they are putting a new alternator and spark plugs in because no one gapped them when they put them in the motor. Overall, the dealership put up with a lot of yelling from me and corporate ignored me and still could care less but I have my baby back and thats my consolation prize. 7 weeks and 3 days a new motor, 2 sets of plugs, and an alternator later and she's back with me. Guess that wasnt so short after all...
So heres the thing, at least here in California if a dealer has your car for more than 30 consecutive days for warranty work, it qualifies as a lemon, and they must provide a loaner vehicle. "It costing the dealer too much money" is not a valid excuse, thats Ford's fault for not shipping the motor. Exact same thing has happened to a friend before. They got the lemon law rolling and demanded the dealer give them a rental while the process goes through.

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
There have been a couple. It's still a pretty safe tune I would assume. I wonder if some of what affected me is I live in Denver and at a mile high air is thin maybe the tune needs to be more dialed in for that kind of environmental extreme...just a thought.
I hope not, im in Broomfield...sorry if you stated already...do you use 91? Im still amazed that they have 85 here, altitude or not I wouldnt put that in my engine

Sponsored

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
I hope not, im in Broomfield...sorry if you stated already...do you use 91? Im still amazed that they have 85 here, altitude or not I wouldnt put that in my engine
Yep, only 91 top tier gas from Costco.

EcoBond007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
So heres the thing, at least here in California if a dealer has your car for more than 30 consecutive days for warranty work, it qualifies as a lemon, and they must provide a loaner vehicle. "It costing the dealer too much money" is not a valid excuse, thats Ford's fault for not shipping the motor. Exact same thing has happened to a friend before. They got the lemon law rolling and demanded the dealer give them a rental while the process goes through.
the problem with the lemon law is I bought the car used technically...

lawrencecar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost PP

Coloradoeco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 eco pp
Sorry for what you are dealing with, how many miles were on it when you bought it used? Wonder what the driving style of previous owner was, but still shouldnt happen.
Sponsored