Sponsored

Ford Racing ProCal Tune

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
So I recently had a CEL come on for some reason, which has now been resolved (loose connector going into the throttle body, causing rough idle). My dealer said to flash the FP tune back to stock so that they can see which code is coming up. I told them which code, but they need to see on their scanners also. So I hit the restore button on the procal software and it seems to have only restored the vehicle back to version "BZA" of the tune (remember FP released an update to the tune, BZB). My question is, did my stock tune get erased from that folder when downloading the revision all that time ago? If so, how do I get it back for emergencies?
Sponsored

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
You'll find the answer as soon as you take it back to the dealer -if they can read it, it's the stock tune. If it reloaded the prior tune they still won't be able to read the auto. I do believe the original tune is embedded within the pc3 tune file, so you should be good.

16RubyRed

S550Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang Ecoboost
How do you check your speed limiter setting?

By driving the vehicle to 121 mph with my foot on the gas and noticing that it would not increase past that point, even tried pressing down harder on the pedal.

16RubyRed

S550Turbo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Mustang Ecoboost
One way I know of... it is a multi-step process.

1. Find long empty road

2. Floor it until it stops climbing

3. Hope you don't hit a deer or family of 5 in a mini van

Alternatively, you could find a track and do step 2.

Unleashed tune was not limited... the FP tune seems to be limited.
LOL, that is exactly what I did, found a long straight empty road and accelerated until it stopped accelerating at ~121 mph. No deers or mini vans were injured during this test.

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
So I recently had a CEL come on for some reason, which has now been resolved (loose connector going into the throttle body, causing rough idle). My dealer said to flash the FP tune back to stock so that they can see which code is coming up. I told them which code, but they need to see on their scanners also. So I hit the restore button on the procal software and it seems to have only restored the vehicle back to version "BZA" of the tune (remember FP released an update to the tune, BZB). My question is, did my stock tune get erased from that folder when downloading the revision all that time ago? If so, how do I get it back for emergencies?
The dealer should not have you flash back to stock. They can manually I.D the PCM, regardless of the Ford Performance tune being in the car. The "BZA" "BZB" doesn't really mean much. The only way to tell for sure is by the middle of that number. It should say "SE2MA" or something similar. If it is 14C204, that's stock.

Now if you for some reason managed to delete your stock file (no, updating the tune won't make it go missing, you would have had to actually delete the file), you would have to have your dealer flash as-built back into the car, then you would have to call FP and have them help you out from their end. They do not have the ability to give you a stock file.

Sponsored

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
The dealer should not have you flash back to stock. They can manually I.D the PCM, regardless of the Ford Performance tune being in the car. The "BZA" "BZB" doesn't really mean much. The only way to tell for sure is by the middle of that number. It should say "SE2MA" or something similar. If it is 14C204, that's stock.

Now if you for some reason managed to delete your stock file (no, updating the tune won't make it go missing, you would have had to actually delete the file), you would have to have your dealer flash as-built back into the car, then you would have to call FP and have them help you out from their end. They do not have the ability to give you a stock file.
I am pretty sure I would not consciously delete my stock tune, I just found it strange when I hit "restore" in the procal software, it said it would flash the "previous" tune, which in this case was the BZA version of the FP tune. I will have to check out the naming of the files. I only have the BZA and BZB files in my downloads folder. Is the stock tune stored in another location? Or like said above, is it embedded in the tune itself

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR EB 6MT PP Recaros
Now that I'm looking at my calibrations file I am now curious also,

I have two files both named identically "SEMM2M-CGB" 2nd being 8 megs instead of 5 and labeled "copy_2" which is which?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP

I have two files both named identically "SEMM2M-CGB" 2nd being 8 megs instead of 5 and labeled "copy_2" which is which?
Right! None of us even thought to look at the files after flashing. FP provides no documentation if we have problems, or any FAQ

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
The dealer should not have you flash back to stock. They can manually I.D the PCM, regardless of the Ford Performance tune being in the car.
I had to for my dealer. They have some newer model diagnostic scanner that only lets them manually ID the VIN, it does not give them the option to ID the PCM instead. An older scanner gives the option to enter either ID, evidently the new ones cannot because they only allow VIN ID entry.

FWIW, I don't know anything about the diagnostic scanners, only repeating what I heard them talk about while they were in my car trying to get it to read the car.

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT

Copy 2 means you downloaded it twice...hence the "copy 2" name.

Sponsored

white15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 GT
I am pretty sure I would not consciously delete my stock tune, I just found it strange when I hit "restore" in the procal software, it said it would flash the "previous" tune, which in this case was the BZA version of the FP tune. I will have to check out the naming of the files. I only have the BZA and BZB files in my downloads folder. Is the stock tune stored in another location? Or like said above, is it embedded in the tune itself
It should be in the procal folder located in the my documents folder. It is a separate file, it's not embedded in anything.

Seriously guys, if you have questions with the FP tune (or any FP parts) just call them or chat with them. They are incredibly helpful. It's way more effective than guessing and having 20 people online give you half-truths or incorrect info.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Copy 2 means you downloaded it twice...hence the "copy 2" name.
Bro, I can clearly see they are named the same but Identical they are not hence one is 8 megs and the other 5 megs.

Turbong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok so just got done talking with the rep, for those that are looking for helpful information other than smart ass answers, the "copy" version is the FP tune.

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
It should be in the procal folder located in the my documents folder. It is a separate file, it's not embedded in anything.
From pg 11 of the ProCal 3 instrruction manual for the FP tune:

"ProCal may upload the stock calibration first prior to programming in order to save the calibration that is currently in your vehicle. This saved file will be contained within the same PC3 file that is being used to program your vehicle."

Chris-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Echoboost
I have a dumb ? If I already have a CAI installed say steeda's cai but wanted the ford performance Tune would that still be safe? and would the warranty that comes with the ford performance kit still be allowed since I didn't use the cai that comes with the kit anyone know? thanks
Sponsored