Sponsored

Ford Racing Oil Filter

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
it only comes into play if the filter is extremely dirty.
Cold (thicker) oil could also be a factor. My guess is if Ford really changed the spec from 8 to 16/17, that's probably why. But yes, with 5K-mile OCIs, there's absolutely no need to try anything else other than OEM, especially when they're so affordable. I've never seen the FL820S filter mentioned anywhere, so my guess is it's not desirable to use on a street engine, just like xx/50 oil. They're for racing applications.
Sponsored

Hockeyfan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt Magneride, electronics, pac, Steeda Jack rails, Weather Teck Floor liners, SunTek PPF full front
Cold (thicker) oil could also be a factor. My guess is if Ford really changed the spec from 8 to 16/17, that's probably why. But yes, with 5K-mile OCIs, there's absolutely no need to try anything else other than OEM, especially when they're so affordable. I've never seen the FL820S filter mentioned anywhere, so my guess is it's not desirable to use on a street engine, just like xx/50 oil. They're for racing applications.
I use the Mobil 1 M1-212A with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and I change both at 5,000 miles . I just feel the Mobil 1 filter filters better. I do not race or track the car, in fact both by son in laws tease me I baby the car. I really do not get concerned about the bypass because I know the way I drive and maintain the car it will most likely never come into play.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It's not only the bypass valve, but the filter media as well. Remember Ford designed the engine with the OEM filter. If the media is too restrictive, oil might be getting bypassed more than you think, especially before oil reaches operating temperature. And if media is less restrictive, it might be filtering less than optimal. That's why I never mess with oil filters, especially with 5K-mile intervals, but it's your car :). Take care.
Sponsored