Sponsored

Ford Performance Track Handling Pack

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
What's the difference between my Performance Pack 1 and this package?
I found a video that says the diff is the springs but would like to see a comparison chart if anyone has it.

TIA

David
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What's the difference between my Performance Pack 1 and this package?
I found a video that says the diff is the springs but would like to see a comparison chart if anyone has it.

TIA

David
The dampers are much more capable. They're monotube all around and are GT350 valving. The springs are firmer but also are a progressive (really a dual rate) vs linear springs. It also includes much stiffer swaybars all around.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
The FP track kit springs are virtually the same rate as the GT350R springs at maximum but the fact that they are progressive gives them a better ride on the street. For a DP car, they're about a 9 out of 10, IMHO.

OP
OP

dmann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
would you guys say that this kit would make any GT handle like a gt350?
I have a PP, would adding the springs be a noticeable and worthy upgrade?

I will prob do higher end coilovers in the next 1-2 years but just want to get the most out of what I have
for now.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
would you guys say that this kit would make any GT handle like a gt350?
I have a PP, would adding the springs be a noticeable and worthy upgrade?

I will prob do higher end coilovers in the next 1-2 years but just want to get the most out of what I have
for now.
If you want that, you'll get extremely close with:
FP Track dampers + BMR SP083 handling springs (rev C)

The rates are the same as the new Magneride springs. Those are reviewed here:

Sponsored

NavsENG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT , 66 Track coupe, 66 street car
The dampers are much more capable. They're monotube all around and are GT350 valving. The springs are firmer but also are a progressive (really a dual rate) vs linear springs. It also includes much stiffer swaybars all around.
Why are they a dual rate ? Do they go into coil bind at some point ?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Why? Probably to try to get a ever so slightly softer resting ride height rate. They do go into coil bind in roll or significant jounce.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
My suspicion is that it's mainly to keep the springs from falling out of their seats when the suspension is at or near full droop. A spring with a much stiffer working rate than OE would not be able to extend far enough to remain under compression at all possible suspension positions. The close-spaced coils add some spring length when 'solid', and add some more as they relax once the suspension droops beyond some point. I doubt that many performance-intended dual-rate springs are actually operating in the soft rate range at static ride height. Don't think I'd want them to.

Would make for a really bad day if a spring was ever allowed to fall completely out from its perches.

Norm

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Why? Probably to try to get a ever so slightly softer resting ride height rate. They do go into coil bind in roll or significant jounce.
@BmacIL, are you running the stock sway-bars with the BMR handling springs and Ford Performance Track Struts? I LOVE the raked look of the BMR handling springs, also the rake adds a small amount of aero without having to add an external splitter (wedge). There's some formula cars that run a decent rake to get more downforce due to rules limiting how much rake they can have on their aero....but back to my question, I'm just curious since I don't expect my stock PP struts to last more than 50k~75k before needing replacement.

I wanted to get my use out of them first, but when it's time to replace I'm thinking of stepping up to something a little firmer and I have NEVER been disappointed by the quality and tuning for Ford Performance parts as a whole package. However I also really like the rake of the BMR springs, but I'm wondering how they do with PP sway bars.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
@BmacIL, are you running the stock sway-bars with the BMR handling springs and Ford Performance Track Struts? I LOVE the raked look of the BMR handling springs, also the rake adds a small amount of aero without having to add an external splitter (wedge). There's some formula cars that run a decent rake to get more downforce due to rules limiting how much rake they can have on their aero....but back to my question, I'm just curious since I don't expect my stock PP struts to last more than 50k~75k before needing replacement.

I wanted to get my use out of them first, but when it's time to replace I'm thinking of stepping up to something a little firmer and I have NEVER been disappointed by the quality and tuning for Ford Performance parts as a whole package. However I also really like the rake of the BMR springs, but I'm wondering how they do with PP sway bars.
Yes I am.

@Bluemustang went from the Ford Performance Track springs (with the FP Track dampers) to the BMR handling springs and doesn't regret it for a second. All factors improved.

Sponsored

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Yes I am.

@Bluemustang went from the Ford Performance Track springs (with the FP Track dampers) to the BMR handling springs and doesn't regret it for a second. All factors improved.
Ok, so your running factory PP sway bars, BMR Handling Springs with Ford Performance Track dampers? That sounds like a really good combination. I wonder how the FP track spring rates compare to BMR's Handling spring rates? I know BMR's, but there's no info on FP's. I think one of the keys to BMR's isn't just the spring rate, it's the spring material and the production quality that give you the most linear and consistent compression curve.

FP stuff is usually top notch, but they may not always have the absolute best of everything. No single company is ever going to have the best suspension setup, engine tuning, geometry settings etc. But often they do one particular thing the best while being "good" with everything else. The trick is to figure out the best offering from each company and get them to work together in harmony. This sounds like a setup that is pretty close to that and I really like that I would have to mess with swapping out sway bars, just more cost and hassle.

How does the car handle mid-corner with that setup? Factory PP setup has more body roll than I'd like and has moderate push that you can correct with throttle. I'd like to get the push limited down to mild or even flat. Body roll while not horrible by any means on factory PP springs, was surprisingly reduced by the BMR SP080 performance lowering springs, more than I had expected. There's still a little body roll, but not much. I'd imagine a higher spring rate would limit that even further without touching the sway bars.

A very minute amount of body roll can be good however, it keeps the car from being super razors edge when letting go. My friend's BRZ is like that, it's very unpredictable as to when the car lets go, the limit is extremely narrow between holding and letting go. So when it lets go, it does it very suddenly and unexpectedly which is not good for high speed driving as you can get into trouble very fast and you have no chance to save the car. Works great for low speed hooning and "drifting" though, I'm not sure I'd want a car that handles like that at 90 to 120 mph though (3rd and 4th gears).

sdiver68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT PP1 10R80 Vert
Vehicle Showcase
A very minute amount of body roll can be good however, it keeps the car from being super razors edge when letting go. My friend's BRZ is like that, it's very unpredictable as to when the car lets go, the limit is extremely narrow between holding and letting go. So when it lets go, it does it very suddenly and unexpectedly which is not good for high speed driving as you can get into trouble very fast and you have no chance to save the car. Works great for low speed hooning and "drifting" though, I'm not sure I'd want a car that handles like that at 90 to 120 mph though (3rd and 4th gears).
Interesting, my BRZ was the most predictable sliding machine I've had the pleasure to own. If they would just do the chassis justice with an OEM FI option they would have a world beater.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, so your running factory PP sway bars, BMR Handling Springs with Ford Performance Track dampers? That sounds like a really good combination. I wonder how the FP track spring rates compare to BMR's Handling spring rates? I know BMR's, but there's no info on FP's. I think one of the keys to BMR's isn't just the spring rate, it's the spring material and the production quality that give you the most linear and consistent compression curve.

FP stuff is usually top notch, but they may not always have the absolute best of everything. No single company is ever going to have the best suspension setup, engine tuning, geometry settings etc. But often they do one particular thing the best while being "good" with everything else. The trick is to figure out the best offering from each company and get them to work together in harmony. This sounds like a setup that is pretty close to that and I really like that I would have to mess with swapping out sway bars, just more cost and hassle.

How does the car handle mid-corner with that setup? Factory PP setup has more body roll than I'd like and has moderate push that you can correct with throttle. I'd like to get the push limited down to mild or even flat. Body roll while not horrible by any means on factory PP springs, was surprisingly reduced by the BMR SP080 performance lowering springs, more than I had expected. There's still a little body roll, but not much. I'd imagine a higher spring rate would limit that even further without touching the sway bars.

It's definitely less roll than the SP080 setup, but it's not so stiff that it's on a knife edge. It's still VERY forgiving, yet very responsive. It has a very slight midcorner push, but its instantly and easily correctable with some throttle. That's ideal for high power RWD. It's got some roll but there's no delay in response to wheel inputs. Most have noted that it looks/feels very flat, though.

The FP springs are fairly similar for front rate, but the rears are quite a bit softer for most of the travel, and still softer at their high rate. The key to the way the BMR setup performs and rides is obviously the nominal rate level, but definitely the front to rear balance.

Here's an autocross video of mine:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My suspicion is that it's mainly to keep the springs from falling out of their seats when the suspension is at or near full droop. A spring with a much stiffer working rate than OE would not be able to extend far enough to remain under compression at all possible suspension positions. The close-spaced coils add some spring length when 'solid', and add some more as they relax once the suspension droops beyond some point. I doubt that many performance-intended dual-rate springs are actually operating in the soft rate range at static ride height. Don't think I'd want them to.

Would make for a really bad day if a spring was ever allowed to fall completely out from its perches.

Norm
They do though. GT350R rear springs have about 1/4" of travel before the soft coils go solid. That translates into approximately 1/2" of wheel travel; not an insignificant amount.

Daytona Coupe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, 2017 Explorer Sport, Ducati Diavel
I have the full track package, and another difference you would get is approx 1" lower ride height, and the additional camber that will automatically come with it. I'm happy with mine.
Sponsored