Sponsored

Ford Performance Calibration install

Robert Adolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang
Hello,
A question for anyone living in the mid-Michigan/Detroit area, that has had a Ford Performance Calibration installed at a Dealer or an ASE certified shop. How much was the install charge and who installed it? A local Dealer gave me a rough estimate at $250/2 hours of work for my 2019 Ecoboost, which I think is too much.
Thanks
Sponsored

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
Hello,
A question for anyone living in the mid-Michigan/Detroit area, that has had a Ford Performance Calibration installed at a Dealer or an ASE certified shop. How much was the install charge and who installed it? A local Dealer gave me a rough estimate at $250/2 hours of work for my 2019 Ecoboost, which I think is too much.
Thanks
That's a ripoff. Only 'work' that has to be done is flash tune, should cost one hour whatever shop rate is. Have them use your computer or at a minimum give you the file that they get from Ford performance after they are done, it will contain both the stock and FRPP tune in the folder.

OP
OP

Robert Adolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang
That's a ripoff. Only 'work' that has to be done is flash tune, should cost one hour whatever shop rate is. Have them use your computer or at a minimum give you the file that they get from Ford performance after they are done, it will contain both the stock and FRPP tune in the folder.
Thank You Mach VII for the information. Second Dealer I talked to today, told me they would charge me between $350 to $450 for the install. Wow.

Last edited:

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Find a local speed shop that has ASE techs.

OP
OP

Robert Adolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang
Find a local speed shop that has ASE techs.
Thank You dgc333 for the idea. One ASE certified shop did not quite know what I was talking about but thought $149 (their charge for 1 hour labor) for the install. Another Ford dealer I talked to today, said 1 and 1/2 hours labor for a Total of $180.

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Definitely bring your own computer and have the shop work with that if they can. I had a local dealer install the tune through their "accessory shop" and the guy who did the work had never used the new style dongle. I had to go back to them and retrieve my tune file when he didn't load anything back to the flash drive I provided. They only charged $90 and I have the receipt, so hopefully everything stays good... Shop around and make sure whoever you find is familiar with the hardware involved, it's a different animal than what used to be used with the V8 cars.

OP
OP

Robert Adolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang
Definitely bring your own computer and have the shop work with that if they can. I had a local dealer install the tune through their "accessory shop" and the guy who did the work had never used the new style dongle. I had to go back to them and retrieve my tune file when he didn't load anything back to the flash drive I provided. They only charged $90 and I have the receipt, so hopefully everything stays good... Shop around and make sure whoever you find is familiar with the hardware involved, it's a different animal than what used to be used with the V8 cars.
Thank You TicTocTach for the information. I appreciate it.

OlTexastang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 VB GT PP1
Well now that I don’t have my Eco anymore I’ll share how mine was done. Took it to a ASE certified shop and they spent 4+ hours trying to download the tune they couldn’t get it done, originally they were going to charge me $100.00 for the install instead I walked out with an invoice that said they did it for $50.00 went home and installed it myself. That was a couple of years ago so I’m sure the hourly rate has gone up but I would check with any ASE certified garages and see what they will charge you. The ford dealer wanted $250.00 at that time.

OP
OP

Robert Adolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang
Well now that I don’t have my Eco anymore I’ll share how mine was done. Took it to a ASE certified shop and they spent 4+ hours trying to download the tune they couldn’t get it done, originally they were going to charge me $100.00 for the install instead I walked out with an invoice that said they did it for $50.00 went home and installed it myself. That was a couple of years ago so I’m sure the hourly rate has gone up but I would check with any ASE certified garages and see what they will charge you. The ford dealer wanted $250.00 at that time.
Thank You OlTexastang for the information. I appreciate it.

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I did my install myself then had my son print a receipt for 1 hour labor on his shops system.

I then emailed the purchase receipt, my son's receipt and a copy of his ASE certification to Ford Performance. I had a confirmation back in less than two hours that my warranty was registered to my vin.

Sponsored

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
I did my install myself then had my son print a receipt for 1 hour labor on his shops system.

I then emailed the purchase receipt, my son's receipt and a copy of his ASE certification to Ford Performance. I had a confirmation back in less than two hours that my warranty was registered to my vin.
Ooh, shit... I totally forgot to register mine for warranty...

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
paid Lebanon ford ohio 80 bucks to flash car, they just charged me some $ for time taken. Printed receipt, sent receipt to ford. all good

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
It should be at the most 1 hour of labor. The install takes ~30 minutes tops assuming all the software is installed on a laptop prior
Sponsored