sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Hey everyone,

I am sure this has been posted and asked about before on here, but I cant seem to find anything too recent (or maybe that's just because I'm on my phone) Last thing I was was from back in 2020 and I wasn't able to gather too much information on it by people who have it. I bought my car in 2021 brand new. I like the engine but of course it could use more power😅

Anyway, my general question is: what is it like to drive the Performance Calibration? What does it change? What does it improve? Make worse?
How does it change in the shifting - specifically in what ways?

But my real curiosity comes from how it changes the shifting of the 10R80. I am not at all satisfied with the 10R80 - I see it as a downgrade from the 6R80. My 10R80 has some awfully harsh downshifts (in regular drive mode) . I have been working with with a dealer who says my transmission is working properly, but I disagree. I plan on taking it to another dealer soon for a second opinion. If they tell me the same thing I may have to tune it somehow - my 10R80 it is unacceptably when downshifting (perfectly fine upshifting though)
Sponsored

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
harshness in A10 downshift is a deliberate programming choice by ford in 'S' mode. It's annoying as Fk. You will need a tune to change the characteristics to something more akin to smoothly going from gear to gear such that it's imperceptible except by looking at RPMs. That's how it's SUPPOSED to work but Ford hired some 17yr old twat who thinks his ricer was shiznit and that thrashing the driver back and forth defined 'cool'.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
harshness in A10 downshift is a deliberate programming choice by ford in 'S' mode. It's annoying as Fk. You will need a tune to change the characteristics to something more akin to smoothly going from gear to gear such that it's imperceptible except by looking at RPMs. That's how it's SUPPOSED to work but Ford hired some 17yr old twat who thinks his ricer was shiznit and that thrashing the driver back and forth defined 'cool'.
Unfortunately the hard downshifts happen in all modes including Regular drive mode.

I have read reviews stating that the Performance Calibration makes the shifts smoother. But the reviewers don't elaborate.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Unfortunately I very much doubt anything short of a total retune by non-ford entity will truly fix it.

The f150 tune for the a10 is close to perfect. So ford CAN do it, they just don't want to for the Mustang.

Call and talk to Torrie of Unleashed Tuning about it.

Last edited:

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Ford tuning leaves a lot to be desired on many fronts.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I was very happy with the FP on my 2017 to be honest.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
I was very happy with the FP on my 2017 to be honest.
How did it change the up shifting and downshifting points? Softer, harsher? Faster, longer? smoother, firmer?

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
How did it change the up shifting and downshifting points? Softer, harsher? Faster, longer? smoother, firmer?
I cannot comment, im a manual driver. but with a manual, 3.31 gearing, it was a hoot. held power, torque was great, and it was just way better all around. downfall, needed 91+ octane (93 in ohio) the longer gears made the power really nice, and I still got 30's all day in MPG. I think I clocked 35-38mpg often

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
but with a manual, 3.31 gearing, it was a hoot.
with D5 trans! You'd a sing a different tune if you had to experience D4+3.31.
My '19 EB had D4+3.55 and this time I'm going for custom 3.73

But we've hijacked OP's thread enough.

OP see if your tuner can load the F150 shift profiles into the tables. I can't see why not.
I put the truck in 'S' mode to go bombing up and down curvy roads and it was just lovely - smooth melding up and down the ratios and no upset to chassis. That config should be the default in the Mustang.

Last edited:

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
with D5 trans! You'd a sing a different tune if you had to experience D4+3.31.
My '19 EB had D4+3.55 and this time I'm going for custom 3.73

But we've hijacked OP's thread enough.

OP see if your tuner can load the F150 shift profiles into the tables. I can't see why not.
thats unfortunate, I dont know much about the shift points or the gear ratios. I did read 2018+ had a difference in changing, I just wanted to comment though. I really enjoyed my 2017 w ford perf calibration. (manual) 3.31 it was really good.

Now, 2018+ is different because auto, and gearing. as mentioned above, these guys know what they are talking about.

Sponsored

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've been considering this for the wife's EcoBoost for a while. Finally convinced her she would like it and got it ordered. Did a lot of research on the net and found only good reviews. Most said how much it helped the shifting of the a10. Review after it's been on for a while.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Mine shifted really harsh in anything past Sport mode. Just put on Cobb stage 1 and it shifts much smoother. Even in Track mode. Drag mode will chirp the tires through third gear though.

I have no experience with Ford tunes.

Superspirit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Just installed this in the wifes 19EB PP1. feels pretty good right off the bat it says to wait a few weeks for it to learn the fuel. So will review in a few weeks.

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Hate to bump an old thread - but the situation with my car has only improved slightly after having the valve body overhauled. The harsh downshift before coming to a stop IS smoother, but still present. The transmission tech said besides a little debris, everything works properly.

Will the FP Tune (M-9603-M4C) help make downshifts smoother or softer? Does it change the TC lock and unlock timing?
*It needs to be the FP tune to keep the warranty, because I have no confidence in the short term reliability in the 10R80.

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
Hate to bump an old thread - but the situation with my car has only improved slightly after having the valve body overhauled. The harsh downshift before coming to a stop IS smoother, but still present. The transmission tech said besides a little debris, everything works properly.

Will the FP Tune (M-9603-M4C) help make downshifts smoother or softer? Does it change the TC lock and unlock timing?
*It needs to be the FP tune to keep the warranty, because I have no confidence in the short term reliability in the 10R80.
You need to contact "Buldawg", If you can't find him here, check the other Ecoboost Mustang forum. He's been collecting information on Ford Performance Tuning and what it can do and can't do for the past couple weeks, while trying to troubleshoot a few problems he is having. Getting pretty darn close to being an expert!!
Sponsored