Sponsored

Ecoboost Performance Calibration M-9603-M4C Opinions

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Good news. Apparently my request was sent to a sales manager and then to their specialty mechanic guy. Anyway, they do know how to do it. They are willing to install it. And I only have to wait a week and a half instead of 12 weeks lol.

So I will wait and report back.
Just got mine installed, was worth it. Seems to wake up the exhaust as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Ecoboost 10R80 w/ FP Tune
Just got mine installed, was worth it. Seems to wake up the exhaust as well.
Did they do the entire process for you? Backing up the stock tune, downloading the performance tune and installing?

I am debating on if I should pre-backup the stock tune before I go in next week.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
What would it hurt to have a backup?

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Did they do the entire process for you? Backing up the stock tune, downloading the performance tune and installing?

I am debating on if I should pre-backup the stock tune before I go in next week.
I went to a local shop and yep they did, but if you're going to a dealer I wouldn't touch anything since they might be anal about doing every part of it in order for you to get the warranty

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
What would it hurt to have a backup?
From my understanding, the backup process is so that Ford to verify your car. Once they check that its stock, they will then let you download the FP Tune. And apparently, you cant go back to stock without taking the car back to a dealer - which seems silly.

I went to a local shop and yep they did, but if you're going to a dealer I wouldn't touch anything since they might be anal about doing every part of it in order for you to get the warranty
Thank you!

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
From my understanding, the backup process is so that Ford to verify your car. Once they check that its stock, they will then let you download the FP Tune. And apparently, you cant go back to stock without taking the car back to a dealer - which seems silly.

Thank you!
The "no return to stock" is only for the 2018+ eco mustangs, 2017-17 ecos also can return to stock and all other platforms have the ability to return to stock from their laptops. It something to do with the eco PCM strategies IMO in 18+ ecos.

As far as the dealer verifying your car is stock it's you cannot flash a FP tune into an already tuned/reflashed PCM only factory stock calibration.

Ask the dealer if you can download program on your laptop for them to use in your car or if they must do it.

BD

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you can go to stock for 15-17 you just need to let them use YOUR pc to do the install, as it does serial stuff to your acount/procal and the backup of stock pcm gets installed onto the pc loading it.

but for warranty, I paid the 100 dollars and let them do it. its 100 dollars to revert. but I did let them use my pc tho

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
you can go to stock for 15-17 you just need to let them use YOUR pc to do the install, as it does serial stuff to your acount/procal and the backup of stock pcm gets installed onto the pc loading it.

but for warranty, I paid the 100 dollars and let them do it. its 100 dollars to revert. but I did let them use my pc tho
It's not 100 bucks anymore sadly.

BD

OP
OP
sirben711

sirben711

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Here is my big review about the performance calibration!
IMG_20230311_173946.jpg

The primary purpose for purchasing this tune was for the transmission adjustment. I had been complaining a lot about how harsh all the downshifts were, specifically the 3-1 downshift ever since I purchased this car back in August 2021.

I am pleased to report that this tune has fixed my complaints about the 10R80! It is now a joy to drive. No more having the feeling of the rear tires locking up for a split second under hard braking or getting "kicked" in the back for the 3-1 shift. It is completely smooth decelerating in normal drive mode. I love it.

The car feels much less bogged down (less lugging) while in city traffic which is most of my driving. In Sport and Sport+ the the transmission feels really good on acceleration. The downshifts are still a little harsh, but nowhere near as bad as they were on the stock normal mode. *To clarify, I hated using Sport and Sport+ because the downshifts were even worse than in normal more. The sport modes are very usable now. I cant wait to have more fun with them later.

I think its still adjusting things for the fuel. I can feel a little more power -but I have also not pushed it very hard yet. I am just so happy about the transmission. Driving in fun again.

The dealer got me in and out really quickly. Cost $175. Yes, I could have done this all myself, but at least I keep my warranty now. Worth the price I think.

The Weird Stuff

you can go to stock for 15-17 you just need to let them use YOUR pc to do the install, as it does serial stuff to your account/procal and the backup of stock pcm gets installed onto the pc loading it.

@FreePenguin @Buldawg76 Are you guys 100% certain of not being able to revert to stock? The service adviser told me that if there is ever an update for my car, they will need my Procal4, revert to stock, update the car, then reinstall the Performance calibration. Also, based on the screenshots below it looks like I do have the option to revert back to stock. Though I am not willing to test this out until my warranty is up - sorry.
IMG_20230311_174040.jpg
IMG_20230311_174100.jpg

The even more bizarre thing.
So I decided to play around with this thing and I found this under the device info.
The vin is correct. The description is not though - looks like a rather big over site while they were programming this.

IMG_20230311_174119.jpg

When I saw this I did have a mini heart attack.

But I am really happy so far

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
you absolutely can revert to stock, using the pro cal device. you just need to keep the stock pcm files via usb or on your pc. im just saying, dealership would flash and refresh for 100 bucks back then for me. but 2018+ models removed ability to flash from what I read. had to be done via dealer, but 2015-17 as long as you had your pro cal + stock pcm file (backup) that it creates during flash, you can do it yourself.

but worst case, dealership can always take it to as built again.

looked at your photos, you should have ability to go to stock, I wonder if your stock pcm file is saved on the pro cal or on your pc. see with older model, the computer creates the backup, before the pro cal does the flash. (a safety) thats what is needed to flash back to stock.

if ford is nice, all gens should offer flash and as to stock option as you have. I bet it works.

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
you absolutely can revert to stock, using the pro cal device. you just need to keep the stock pcm files via usb or on your pc. im just saying, dealership would flash and refresh for 100 bucks back then for me. but 2018+ models removed ability to flash from what I read. had to be done via dealer, but 2015-17 as long as you had your pro cal + stock pcm file (backup) that it creates during flash, you can do it yourself.

but worst case, dealership can always take it to as built again.

looked at your photos, you should have ability to go to stock, I wonder if your stock pcm file is saved on the pro cal or on your pc. see with older model, the computer creates the backup, before the pro cal does the flash. (a safety) thats what is needed to flash back to stock.

if ford is nice, all gens should offer flash and as to stock option as you have. I bet it works.
Not part of the thread here, but…I just wanted to say, I seeing you back on here a little bit, welcome back, Donald. Good to see you.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Not part of the thread here, but…I just wanted to say, I seeing you back on here a little bit, welcome back, Donald. Good to see you.
thanks!
I took a long break from the internet in general, ive still browsed anonymously randomly and see what's going on here and there. glad to see a lot of familiar faces still going strong here! but no mustang kind of makes me sad being here sometimes lol.

Last edited:

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
I know for certain with the Procal 3 tuner #M-9603-M4C will not allow for reflashing the stock calibration except by a dealer going back to "as built" data on 18+ vehicles. The Procal 4 #M-9603-M4CA tuner states the exact same disclaImer "Note" that the procal 3 does about dealer only retrun to stock "as built" data for only 18+ mustang ecoboosts, all other platforms it does not state that disclaimer. So, the F-150, rangers and GT mustangs all can go back and forth between the stock and FP tune. I was told this exact info by the FP tech line when I first realized that I was not able to return to stock calibration with my FP procal 3 #M-9603-M4C, I have been in constant contact with FP tech over other issue with my FP tuner and have still had no resolution going on almost a year now.

Read the disclamer "Note" in both the FP Procal tuners linked below.

2018-2021 MUSTANG ECOBOOST PERFORMANCE CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-M4C | Ford Performance Parts

2018-2022 MUSTANG ECOBOOST PERF CALIBRATION| Part Details for M-9603-M4CA | Ford Performance Parts

BD

stannypack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Here is my big review about the performance calibration!
IMG_20230311_173946.jpg

The primary purpose for purchasing this tune was for the transmission adjustment. I had been complaining a lot about how harsh all the downshifts were, specifically the 3-1 downshift ever since I purchased this car back in August 2021.

I am pleased to report that this tune has fixed my complaints about the 10R80! It is now a joy to drive. No more having the feeling of the rear tires locking up for a split second under hard braking or getting "kicked" in the back for the 3-1 shift. It is completely smooth decelerating in normal drive mode. I love it.

The car feels much less bogged down (less lugging) while in city traffic which is most of my driving. In Sport and Sport+ the the transmission feels really good on acceleration. The downshifts are still a little harsh, but nowhere near as bad as they were on the stock normal mode. *To clarify, I hated using Sport and Sport+ because the downshifts were even worse than in normal more. The sport modes are very usable now. I cant wait to have more fun with them later.

I think its still adjusting things for the fuel. I can feel a little more power -but I have also not pushed it very hard yet. I am just so happy about the transmission. Driving in fun again.

The dealer got me in and out really quickly. Cost $175. Yes, I could have done this all myself, but at least I keep my warranty now. Worth the price I think.

The Weird Stuff

@FreePenguin @Buldawg76 Are you guys 100% certain of not being able to revert to stock? The service adviser told me that if there is ever an update for my car, they will need my Procal4, revert to stock, update the car, then reinstall the Performance calibration. Also, based on the screenshots below it looks like I do have the option to revert back to stock. Though I am not willing to test this out until my warranty is up - sorry.
IMG_20230311_174040.jpg
IMG_20230311_174100.jpg

The even more bizarre thing.
So I decided to play around with this thing and I found this under the device info.
The vin is correct. The description is not though - looks like a rather big over site while they were programming this.

IMG_20230311_174119.jpg

When I saw this I did have a mini heart attack.

But I am really happy so far
time to get that big sexy roush cai if you haven't done so already

94C1A142-34E4-4CB5-8F4C-DB7FB97F3AB2.jpeg

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
time to get that big sexy roush cai if you haven't done so already

94C1A142-34E4-4CB5-8F4C-DB7FB97F3AB2.jpeg
this will perform worst than oem configuration and drop in filter. it looks super nice, but the closed oem airbox with drop in filter is proven to be the best.
Sponsored