FORD MUSTANG GTD LITE?

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
On reflection I think this makes the most sense of all.

I have no idea but I’d also speculate that it would be absent the Shelby moniker.
Agreed, I don’t think we’ll see the Shelby nameplate. They rolled out the Super Snake a few weeks ago. My hunch is that anything with a Shelby nameplate for S650 will come from Shelby American, not from Ford/Ford Performance unfortunately.
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
On reflection I think this makes the most sense of all.

I have no idea but I’d also speculate that it would be absent the Shelby moniker.
Totally agreed regarding that the Shelby nameplate will be absent from a GTD/Lite model.

Pure speculation from a long time Blue Oval enthusiast/owner but would not be surprised to see the Shelby moniker not being implemented on any future Mustang models.

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Totally agreed regarding that the Shelby nameplate will be absent from a GTD/Lite model.

Pure speculation from a long time Blue Oval enthusiast/owner but would not be surprised to see the Shelby moniker not being implemented on any future Mustang models.
I‘m a relative newbie to Mustangs and TBH until I “discovered” Mustangs in 2020 I was a lifetime diehard GM man and dealer. Many of my old friends and family think I’ve had a schizophrenic break with my fairly recent S550 obsession but it is what it is, and it’s undeniable.

Having said that I get the same feeling about the demise of the Shelby association with Mustangs as PP0001 and I hate to see it go away. Yeah, I’m old but I sure respect the man, the name, the company and all it represents. It’s not impossible that it might impact my buying decision on new halo cars, I don‘t know.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wait.

I know you’re a bit of an insider so am I reading you right, ie, you’re thinking the so-called “Lite” model could have as much as 335 additional hp over the Mach? I’d say that’d be worth another 50 large in a flash if it materializes. For the sake of my marriage I’d selfishly almost hope not, but that kinda gets into a personal problem. On the other hand one could make the case that the 2022 GT500 was headed there, minus the cursed ADM of course.

I suppose this could also be testing the waters for what the next high trim halo model might be.
What a ripoff. If they added 335-500-700 HP (I don't care how much) and charged $50K more I wouldn't be interested at all. Just spin the tires everywhere all the time, either understeering or oversteering in some huge, overweight barge. YUCK.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Your getting nothing from the GTD in the lite version other than the engine and perhaps a few cosmetic pieces.

Mid-ish engine placement, nope. Multimatic pushrod rear, nope. Transaxle, nope. Dry-sump oiling system, nope. Multimatic front suspension, nope.

100+K pricetag, yep.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Agreed that the Shelby nameplate on Ford production vehicles may be done for the foreseeable future.

I thibk if we get the GTD Lite, it will be more of a scaled back naturally aspirated version of the GTD. I certainly don't see them releasing one with 800+hp in the "lite" version. After all with ZL1 and Hellcat out of production there's no need.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
What a ripoff. If they added 335-500-700 HP (I don't care how much) and charged $50K more I wouldn't be interested at all. Just spin the tires everywhere all the time, either understeering or oversteering in some huge, overweight barge. YUCK.
The proposed 2025/2026 GTD Lite Mustang hasn't even been officially confirmed yet let alone us Mustang enthusiasts knowing what the overall specifications, dimensions and pricing may be for this proposed new Mustang model and you are already calling it a rip off and an overweight barge that either understeers or oversteers?

Sorry to hear that you already hate a proposed new 2025/2026 Mustang model without knowing much about it

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that you already hate a proposed new 2025/2026 Mustang model without knowing much about it
But based on Fords history, one can take an educated guess and probably be fairly close.

! thing is for sure.. Mutlimatic won't be making it.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
But based on Fords history, one can take an educated guess and probably be fairly close.

! thing is for sure.. Mutlimatic won't be making it.
What does Multimatic in Markham have to do with the build of a proposed GTD Lite Mustang model as the FRAP is very capable of building outstanding high performance Mustang models such the most recent GT350/R, GT500/CFTP models and the newer Dark Horse model?

When Ford launched the 50th Anniversary 2015 GT350/R model in July of that year were you already educated and knew about those models coming with an 8,250 RPM redline, NA FPC engine, 6-speed manual transmission, rear seat delete, resonator delete, MagneRide, CF wheels, Cup 2 tires, CF rear wing, etc. let alone pricing, HP, curb weight, performance times, etc. and how did that model all turn out?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The proposed 2025/2026 GTD Lite Mustang hasn't even been officially confirmed yet let alone us Mustang enthusiasts knowing what the overall specifications, dimensions and pricing may be for this proposed new Mustang model and you are already calling it a rip off and an overweight barge that either understeers or oversteers?

I want to broadcast that I hate the idea of slapping a blower on the Coyote along with some styling cues and calling it the GTD lite. In my opinion the most special parts of the GTD are the transaxle and the unique suspension. Coyotes with blowers on them are a dime a dozen. I understand some people love them and want more, but I don't.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What does Multimatic in Markham have to do with the build of a proposed GTD Lite Mustang model
Right. Built by FORD. The should call it the MUSTANG GTD 3%. Cause all yer gonna get is styling cues.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
That should've been the standard design of the S650!
I want to broadcast that I hate the idea of slapping a blower on the Coyote along with some styling cues and calling it the GTD lite. In my opinion the most special parts of the GTD are the transaxle and the unique suspension. Coyotes with blowers on them are a dime a dozen. I understand some people love them and want more, but I don't.
I agree 100% with you on what makes it unique. A factory twin turbo coyote would be unique and cool for a "Lite!"

Also when I made the post above; I would like to clarify. I think that the Body design of the GTD Mustang should've been the standard body design of the S650. Maybe not with the huge track spoiler. I don't personally care for the design of the S650 in any variant, but this one is nice. The vents in the body panels are eye catching!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Like you I also prefer a NA engine therefore let's see if this proposed GTD Lite model is officially launched and whether it comes with a NA engine and if so hopefully you might pull the trigger this time around as I recall locating a GT350 for you in SC (per your request) at a good price some ~9 years ago but unfortunately that opportunity never went forward.

Agreed that the semi-active suspension and 8-speed rear transaxle components are very special aspects of the 2025 GTD, but I also like other awesome components such as CF body panels, CF driveshaft, active aero rear wing, carbon ceramic brakes, titanium exhaust and magnesium wheels.

Whatever the case if a GTD Lite model is officially launched it is just common sense that not all of the above components will be available for a ~100,000 Lite model.

Last edited:

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

Like you I also prefer a NA engine therefore let's see if this proposed GTD Lite model is officially launched and whether it comes with a NA engine and if so hopefully you might pull the trigger this time around as I recall locating a GT350 for you in SC (per your request) at a good price some ~9 years ago but unfortunately that opportunity never went forward.

Agreed that the semi-active suspension and 8-speed rear transaxle components are very special aspects of the 2025 GTD, but I also like other awesome components such as CF body panels, CF driveshaft, active aero rear wing, carbon ceramic brakes, titanium exhaust and magnesium wheels.

Whatever the case if a GTD Lite model is officially launched it is just common sense that not all of the above components will be available for a ~100,000 Lite model.
I‘m late to the party but I’ll throw in solidly preferring a NA engine. In fact, I’d rather have a well engineered and built 550-575 hp NA engine than a 750+ hp FI engine.

Obviously Ford won’t build a Lite version that would get anywhere close to the full strength GTD, but it wouldn’t kill them to nibble around on the weight a little rather than simply adding enough hp to cover the bloat.
Sponsored