Sponsored

Ford is now referring to he Mach-e as "The Mustang" in its ads.

BoostRabbitGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
D
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang EcoBoost
Exactly. Ford is going to establish the mustang as a sub-brand, not just a single car. It will be a line of performance oriented vehicles, I could see them taking the Explorer ST and making it the Mustang - Explorer edition. My hypothesis, who knows.
Sub-brand like Lincoln (and the long-since-defunct Mercury)? I'm honestly much more intrigued by that possibility than the Mach E possibly bearing the Mustang name exclusively (which I'll address momentarily).

(Could the following paragraph be its own topic?) In the event Mustang becomes its own brand, what would you like to see? I know I'd like to see 2-door variations akin to the Porsche 911 (fastback, convertible, possibly a notchback for those who prefer the convertible look without the removable top?). But I'd also like to see a four door coupe if not an outright sedan, and going this route, I'd prefer it to be distinguished as separate from the OG Mustang itself---call it the Falcon or even bring back the Cougar, maybe?

Okay, back to the original topic, I'm not a fan of the Mach E potentially donning the Mustang name without the Mach E added to it. That seems like a fast route to brand assassination. It didn't work for the Dodge Avenger and I really don't think it worked for the Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross. And I'm the guy who's fine with Mustang becoming its own sub-brand as long as they don't drop the main model that everyone who knows the history of the car associates with the name. But to brand your potentially primary Mustang going forward as a crossover EV? That's too much and too far in my opinion.
Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I know I'll have MY mustang for 10+ years and wont be buying any other car till after I'm "done" with mine. Pretty sure in that time there will be a completely new line up of vehicles to choose from. I don't feel any brand loyalty to the mustang, I love the car and knew I would enjoy it more than a dodge or chevy product.

sotek2345

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2016 F-150
Tried to find the ad on youtube but Today was first time I saw it on TV and then seen it several times. They dont even show the mustang as we know it they only show the Mach-E and refer to it as the mustang. They say something along the lines of we improved the mustang and gave it.... then show the Mach -E. They dont mention Mach-e anywhere in the ad just "The Mustang"

I know in other posts people have said the next mustang as we know it will likely be a 8 year model. If the Mach-e takes off and since the Mustang is Fords last car they are making (fusion is on way out next year). How long till the Mustang we know and love is gone? I know this topic has been covered several times to a degree but seeing that ad today sorta made it real that the time is closer then any of us wants to admit. I have a feeling the s650 will be the last Car type mustang we see. I mean if Ford themselves are now publicly calling the Mach-e "the mustang" in their ads, it wont be long I feel. I was on fence about weather I would buy a s650 but I think I just might and enjoy the last ride.
Any luck finding it - I would be interested in seeing what they actually did.

peoples1234

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS
Sub-brand like Lincoln (and the long-since-defunct Mercury)? I'm honestly much more intrigued by that possibility than the Mach E possibly bearing the Mustang name exclusively (which I'll address momentarily).

(Could the following paragraph be its own topic?) In the event Mustang becomes its own brand, what would you like to see? I know I'd like to see 2-door variations akin to the Porsche 911 (fastback, convertible, possibly a notchback for those who prefer the convertible look without the removable top?). But I'd also like to see a four door coupe if not an outright sedan, and going this route, I'd prefer it to be distinguished as separate from the OG Mustang itself---call it the Falcon or even bring back the Cougar, maybe?
After some thought, my example probably wasn't a great one (the Explorer is already a strong nameplate). The Bronco nameplate might be a better example. There is the Bronco and the Bronco Sport. Maybe in the future, the Escape will be eliminated for the Bronco nameplate (the Bronco Sport already overlaps here a bit). Perhaps the plan is that there will be the Mustang, the Mach-e, and then when Ford decides to re-enter the car market, some other small/mid-size variant (you're Falcon example, probably electric). Pure conjecture on my part, but I could see the benefit of having a few strong nameplates, it would reduce advertising spend.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
They can revive the Pinto name, just add the E at the end and make it the Ford PintoE.
Ford would probably want to forget about the Pinto with the bad rep it got. However, digging back in that era, I think resurrecting "Maverick" would be cool for a truck or maybe an SUV.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Mach-e is the way of the future.
Not the way of my future.

Don't want an SUV or a CUV no matter whose it is, or how it's powered, or what name they give to it.

Norm

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Don't want an SUV or a CUV no matter whose it is, or how it's powered, or what name they give to it.

Norm
Plain and simple. Ford stops making a car I want, I'll go someplace that does. If nobody does, I'll be dead long before the used car market.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
*pssssstttt*...get a Charger, they're hilarious. And the last American V8 sedan.
A wanted a Daytona but the mustang fit me better in every way, including the budget.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
If I wanted to buy an electric road car, it would be the Tesla Model S Plaid (1100 hp); not the Ford Mach E.

Even though the Mach E will be less maintenance compared to the gas powered Mustangs, the bang per buck lags behind that of a comparable Tesla car.
But then you are driving an ugly Tesla.

Sponsored

19bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I'd strongly consider one if they had a manual in it. I don't care for the Challenger.
We are way off topic, but yes I would also be interested in a manual Charger. I also read recently that Challenger has some of the worst crash tests because the design is 10+ years old unchanged. Outdated muscle is cool to a certain point but I like some tech. The 2020 GT500 puts the power to the ground ridiculously good.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
Actually my bigger problem with the whole thing is they all look the same. its like one designer works for all the car companies. Different headlights and tail lights but basically everyone's suvs are all looking exactly the same. no creativity. here are just a few examples there are plenty more. Mach-e looks just like the rest of them...
Screenshot_1.jpg
Screenshot_2.jpg
Screenshot_23.jpg
Screenshot_25.jpg

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla

Norm
I agree, and I don't think electric cars are the way to go for right now. I just don't think our electrical grid can handle it, especially if we want to limit petrol sales. But to get away from politics, I am a big fan of the Mustang's lineage and it feels like a slap in the face since Ford wants to call this soccer mom's car a Mustang. It's just not a Mustang.

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Ford execs should be ashamed of themselves. I would rather see the Mustang die an honorable death than go down this road.
This could be the end of the line for Mustangs as gassers . I hate to say it but EV is dominating the stock markets and with all that capital flowing its only a matter of time before our S550s become classics LOL. On the flip side, EV can run circles around anything on gas and a simple Tesla is a 10sec car off the show room floor

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Tried to find the ad on youtube but Today was first time I saw it on TV and then seen it several times. They dont even show the mustang as we know it they only show the Mach-E and refer to it as the mustang. They say something along the lines of we improved the mustang and gave it.... then show the Mach -E. They dont mention Mach-e anywhere in the ad just "The Mustang"

I know in other posts people have said the next mustang as we know it will likely be a 8 year model. If the Mach-e takes off and since the Mustang is Fords last car they are making (fusion is on way out next year). How long till the Mustang we know and love is gone? I know this topic has been covered several times to a degree but seeing that ad today sorta made it real that the time is closer then any of us wants to admit. I have a feeling the s650 will be the last Car type mustang we see. I mean if Ford themselves are now publicly calling the Mach-e "the mustang" in their ads, it wont be long I feel. I was on fence about weather I would buy a s650 but I think I just might and enjoy the last ride.
I've had a bad feeling about this from the day it was announced that this 'E' thing was going to have the Mustang name hung on it.

I could easily picture public perception of what a Mustang was, to gradually shift over time. That much would have been bad enough.

I did not expect Ford themselves to help such a change in perception along.

Norm
Sponsored