Sponsored

Ford is now referring to he Mach-e as "The Mustang" in its ads.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
The normal Mustang is not going anywhere. WIll the Gen 7 feature a Hybrid? Sure. Will classic pure V8 engines will be a thing of the past in the next upcoming 15 years? Most likely. But I don't get how people can be afraid of or upset about the Mach-E.

Getting your brand new electric thing sold is hard to do against the hype that Tesla has. Porsche did really well with the Taycan because of their brand image. So Ford needed something to hype up their electric car too. You don't have to make any market researchs or surveys to know nobody would care about an E-Fusion or E-Explorer. So they chose to use the best name they have in the lineup: Mustang. It doesn't matter that the Mach-E is not a classic Mustang, they knew it would start discussions - Which is the best marketing you can bascially have. Even if you don't care about cars, you might have heard about that new electric Mustang.

So I wouldn't think about the Mach-E effecting the Mustang too much. They are designed and build by completely different teams. The only effect the Mach-E has on the Mustang is that it's allowing Ford to actually continue selling the regular Mustang in international markets while CO² regulations are becoming more and more strict. And the more Mustangs they sell overall, the more likely the regular Mustang will stay.

So you don't want to buy a Mach-E, don't buy it. Ford has an interesting lineup for the base Mustang in the upcoming years with Mach 1 launching soon and Gen 7 not even 2 years away.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This could be the end of the line for Mustangs as gassers . I hate to say it but EV is dominating the stock markets and with all that capital flowing its only a matter of time before our S550s become classics LOL.
I'm not at all convinced that those investing heavily in EV are seeing much past getting in early enough and getting back out before EV stock prices peak. Tesla's market value is hugely speculative, at least with respect to the number of vehicles sold - nominally the business they're supposed to be in.

On the flip side, EV can run circles around anything on gas and a simple Tesla is a 10sec car off the show room floor
That's been the primary appeal of EVs to enthusiasts . . . but it's the kool-aid intended to draw enthusiasts out of their current ICE life and into an afterlife where that same performance is not going to come with a forever guarantee. Analogy intentional.

Norm

Last edited:

DRB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 5.0 Performance Pack convertible, Rapid Red
Yes...the stock market...because that's a good indicator to follow. Memba the dotcom boom...yeah I memba. Memba the housing bubble...yeah I memba. Memba the Roaring 20's?

...well, no, because I'm not 100.

I'm not 100, but I'm old enough to have done pretty well in the market, especially since 2009. So yeah, I'll follow that.

I mean, what, I'm going to click on a damn Ron Paul ad and buy gold? :cwl:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
. . . I don't get how people can be afraid of or upset about the Mach-E.
One more SUV is still one more too many. One more way for people to not buy sedans or coupes. One more place for development money to go that's not a traditional family sedan, ponycar, or sports car.

Norm

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yes...the stock market...because that's a good indicator to follow. Memba the dotcom boom...yeah I memba. Memba the housing bubble...yeah I memba. Memba the Roaring 20's?

...well, no, because I'm not 100.
Well, arguably the latest roaring '20s are upon us.....

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Getting your brand new electric thing sold is hard to do against the hype that Tesla has. Porsche did really well with the Taycan because of their brand image. So Ford needed something to hype up their electric car too. You don't have to make any market researchs or surveys to know nobody would care about an E-Fusion or E-Explorer. So they chose to use the best name they have in the lineup: Mustang. It doesn't matter that the Mach-E is not a classic Mustang, they knew it would start discussions - Which is the best marketing you can bascially have. Even if you don't care about cars, you might have heard about that new electric Mustang.
For the Mustang name to have a net positive effect means that Ford is gambling that using the Mustang name in that manner will attract more people than it alienates. Those in between won't much care what it's called.

So I wouldn't think about the Mach-E effecting the Mustang too much. They are designed and build by completely different teams.
50 years ago, people felt much the same way about automatic transmissions not affecting the availability of manual transmissions too much. If they thought about it at all (most people don't look too far into the future as far as availability is concerned as long as they can buy what they want today).

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
One more SUV is still one more too many. One more way for people to not buy sedans or coupes. One more place for development money to go that's not a traditional family sedan, ponycar, or sports car.

Norm
Never change Norm, never change. :like:

1602591940449.jpeg

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
The normal Mustang is not going anywhere. WIll the Gen 7 feature a Hybrid? Sure. Will classic pure V8 engines will be a thing of the past in the next upcoming 15 years? Most likely. But I don't get how people can be afraid of or upset about the Mach-E.
I dont understand this mind set. The mustangs not going anywhere mindset... why is it not? FORD has already killed off every single car they make, cars that sold better then the mustang. Why would they not kill off the mustang? They are already starting too its right in front of your eyes. The name might not go anywhere but I did not buy a name I bought a gas powered performance car with two doors. I did not and do not want to buy a 4 door electric performance soccer kid hauler.

I have seen entire parking lots of nothing but suvs with my mustang being the only car in the whole lot. Cars are simply not selling in America and to think ford would not kill off the car version of the classic mustang is simply naĂŻve.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I dont understand this mind set. The mustangs not going anywhere mindset... why is it not? FORD has already killed off every single car they make, cars that sold better then the mustang. Why would they not kill off the mustang? They are already starting too its right in front of your eyes. The name might not go anywhere but I did not buy a name I bought a gas powered performance car with two doors. I did not and do not want to buy a 4 door electric performance soccer kid hauler.

I have seen entire parking lots of nothing but suvs with my mustang being the only car in the whole lot. Cars are simply not selling in America and to think ford would not kill off the car version of the classic mustang is simply naĂŻve.
It’s not naive, it’s marketing. Our Mustang is needed to promote and build the brand. Actually if you think of it, the Mach-E could be our cars savior.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Never change Norm, never change. :like:

1602591940449.jpeg
That'd be a pretty safe bet, at least as far as where cars are concerned. And not simply because I'm old enough to where being called 'crotchety' could be taken as a compliment.

I'm going to want what I want and want it for my reasons. Not what somebody else or some company thinks I'm supposed to want for theirs. Been that way about many things for as long as I can remember. Any change in what I've wanted - which has happened - has always come from within.

Norm

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
It’s not naive, it’s marketing. Our Mustang is needed to promote and build the brand. Actually if you think of it, the Mach-E could be our cars savior.
I've posted this before . . . once public opinion has shifted the perception of what a Mustang is from its ponycar roots to what's at best a CUV, and is demonstrated by the distribution of ponycar vs CUV sales, what's to keep the ponycar alive?

Keep in mind that the majority of CUV buyers aren't going to be ponycar fans or have the same attitudes and hopes that members of a Mustang-as-a-ponycar forum hold.

That the E could be the ponycar's savior is good as wishful thinking, but not a great-sounding long term bet. It's too easily compared to a hostile take-over in the business world, where the useful value is extracted from an existing entity and the rest thrown to the curb.

Norm

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I think we are starting to swing a bit wide on the topic here LOL. So back to my original reason for the post. I still cant find the ad online and at least a few of you have seen it. It is the fact that FORD calls the Mach-e "The Mustang" in the ad. Think about that for a min... Not "A Mustang" Not "The New Mustang Mach-E" Not the "Mach-E" Not the "Electric Mustang" They flat out call it "The Mustang" Well if it is THE MUSTANG then what re our cars? They are changing the vernacular whether we like it or not and it is for a reason. People who think Our Mustang isnt going anywhere I feel falls into the cant se the forest for the trees kinda thing. If people think Ford wont yank the rug out from under the mustang (as we know it) when the number dont buy the CEOs new houses on malibu then you are wrong. Heritage name plates mean nothing to this generation that are the spenders. Look at all the Hertiage names we loose every year to online sales. Kmart , toys R us, sears and so on. When the new takes over no one cares about the old. Matter of fact sears wasn't even doing that badly the CEO ran it into the ground to line his own pockets. If you dont think for a second ford wont do the same with the mustang if it increase their stocks or wealth ...well.. then I got no hope for ya... LOL

Just think about the manual transmission... the same argument... and its about history no mater who all loves it. few more years we wont see a single manual... at least not here in the US. Its at less then 2% of sales. its gonna get dropped.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I think we are starting to swing a bit wide on the topic here LOL. So back to my original reason for the post. I still cant find the ad online and at least a few of you have seen it. It is the fact that FORD calls the Mach-e "The Mustang" in the ad. Think about that for a min... Not "A Mustang" Not "The New Mustang Mach-E" Not the "Mach-E" Not the "Electric Mustang" They flat out call it "The Mustang" Well if it is THE MUSTANG then what re our cars? They are changing the vernacular whether we like it or not and it is for a reason. People who think Our Mustang isnt going anywhere I feel falls into the cant se the forest for the trees kinda thing. If people think Ford wont yank the rug out from under the mustang (as we know it) when the number dont buy the CEOs new houses on malibu then you are wrong. Heritage name plates mean nothing to this generation that are the spenders. Look at all the Hertiage names we loose every year to online sales. Kmart , toys R us, sears and so on. When the new takes over no one cares about the old. Matter of fact sears wasn't even doing that badly the CEO ran it into the ground to line his own pockets. If you dont think for a second ford wont do the same with the mustang if it increase their stocks or wealth ...well.. then I got no hope for ya... LOL

Just think about the manual transmission... the same argument... and its about history no mater who all loves it. few more years we wont see a single manual... at least not here in the US. Its at less then 2% of sales. its gonna get dropped.
I've seen it. So what. As far as Ford is concerned it is a Mustang. They didn't bother asking us for permission to do it. Honestly, time to move on. Let's get back to the S650/S750 conversations.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
I've posted this before . . . once public opinion has shifted the perception of what a Mustang is from its ponycar roots to what's at best a CUV, and is demonstrated by the distribution of ponycar vs CUV sales, what's to keep the ponycar alive?

Keep in mind that the majority of CUV buyers aren't going to be ponycar fans or have the same attitudes and hopes that members of a Mustang-as-a-ponycar forum hold.

That the E could be the ponycar's savior is good as wishful thinking, but not a great-sounding long term bet. It's too easily compared to a hostile take-over in the business world, where the useful value is extracted from an existing entity and the rest thrown to the curb.

Norm
If you thinking long term, forget it. The Mustang as we know it is dead, the manual transmission is dead, the V8 is dead, The ICE is dead. You and I are going to be dead. :giggle:

Honestly, at 68, I'm going day by day. I do not plan on buying another car until 2029. We can have this conversation again at that time. :like:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm trying to think long-term for those somewhat younger than us. The Mustang as a ponycar may have come into existence around the time we came into driving, but it need not go away when we stop driving. Ponycars aren't just for boomers.

Norm
Sponsored