Sponsored

For those who traded a vehicle you loved, for an S550, was it worth it?

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

ddeluce

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT California Special with Power Pack 1
I'm currently driving a lifted wrangler, with 37's, beadlocks, hyrdo assisted steering etc.. And while I love the fact that this thing can go where I want it, and I have a great time taking it to those places, I don't love that fact that it is impossibly slow, and rough as hell. I'm looking at trading it in for a 16+ GT the coming months, and im hoping to get some input from those who have gone from a vehicle they truly enjoyed, to a mustang, for whatever reason that may be. Regrets? 100% happy? lets hear it!
I sold my Mazda Miata convertible and bought a Mustang GT, but I also kept my Ford Edge for ski trips, fishing, hauling dogs around, and bad weather. The Miata, the way I had it set up, was one one the best handling cars I've ever driven. Precise, quick , with tons of grip. However, it was noisy, had a firm ride, and needed more power. The Mustang GT solves those problems while providing very good handling and braking. My wife enjoys the Mustang far more than the Miata which is a major bonus in my book. Maybe you should keep the Jeep for off-roading, and add a Mustang as your daily driver!

TLFLOW

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Yes

Fillykonk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oswald
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 3
I traded an 07 Roush 427R (450 HP) in on a 15 Roush RS3 (727 HP) and must say the 15 far outperforms the 07 in most every category (comfort, technology, etc). No regrets here even buying both used. Of course your Jeep and the stang are two different vehicles so it depends on your current desires.

ToddUGA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Got rid of my lifted Jeep TJ to buy my Mustang. After a while I got tired of the rough ride, constant maintenance, fighting death wobble, and climb to get into the thing. I did enjoy off-roading and hit most of the off-road parks around the southeast. But I have no regrets. Love my Mustang and would do it again.

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I used to have a lifted Jeep Liberty and a 2014 Mustang GT Track Pack. Once I got into tracking the car I sold the Jeep to get an F250 (gas) as I think looked at getting a trailer. 14 GT was in an accident and I ended up with a 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca. The Boss was awesome but I really started liking the look of the new cars with the 18GT an some of the new tech. I decided to trade the Boss in on a 19 GT PP2. There are some regrets because I know if the Boss was still running good in 5 years it would be worth more than my 19 but man the new car is so much better on the street and appears to be just as capable on track. Now I'm also simplifying some things in life by trying to sell my truck and trailer and picking up a more reasonable daily driver. F250 at 9-10MPG isn't reasonable and paying to store a trailer I only used 1 weekend last year doesn't make sense either.

CF-105

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2019 Dark Highland Green Bullitt
I traded in my 2014 Challenger RT for my Bullitt. I loved that car and did a lot of driving with it. Literally all the way across North America. It was a different beast the the Mustang. Not as much fun, but the better highway GT car. More refined and relaxed for those 12 hour driving days.

wenklaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I sold my BMW M2 DCT for a new 2019 GT manual. Do I regret it.........no but I do miss the M2 that’s for sure.
I felt in the UK the GTs life is numbered plus some stonking deals so I took the plunge. Always wanted one and everything just made sense to make the switch.
Love it to bits but certain elements of the GT are typically Ford, it’s not screwed together as well, the materials used aren’t as nice and it has more rattles, squeaks, none are bad but it’s just not as solid. People do complain about the 2 series build but maybe I just had a very well built one.
But the m2 didn’t have a NA V8 which is frankly the best sub £80k (Maybe more) sounding engine in the UK. Much prefer the power delivery of the coyote to the n55 and s55 BMW m cars have.

Last edited:

Crew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 3.7L
Vehicle Showcase
I traded in my 2013 Focus ST on my '17 Mustang 3.7L, and couldn't be happier.

I loved my ST, but the perpetual synchronizer issues made the car a chore to drive, and I had no choice but to trade it in. They happened to have the S550 on the lot, with a few upgrades, and after owning it a few weeks - I feel like it's the car I was meant to be in. I love it.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
i traded a 2015 kia optima for my 2019 mustang gt

nothing i do miss from that car, but i can tell you what i DONT miss, i dont miss waking up to news reports an engine fire (again) and someone barley escaping with their lives, or better yet, park it after the drive home and 10 minutes later it explodes in your driveway.. i sure dont miss that!

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I sold a 2010 Scion TC for the Mustang GT PP2. Worlds better in terms of creature comforts and I appreciate them but do miss the simplicity of the TC. I also wish the Mustang would make a hatchback like the old Fox bodies. It makes the car far more utilitarian. The TC could fit a couple 60" TVs through the hatch with the seats down. The TC was also a 5 sp manual and use to run at about 3,000 rpm when on the highway. It need the higher rpm just to be able to move.

I sold the TC with only 50K miles because it had a piston job done by Toyota and then a short block and then a balance shaft issues months apart (all paid by Toyota). They ruined that engine. This was when it had 34K miles. They also had to replace both axles because they ripped the CV boots on both sides articulating them incorrectly. The reason was that, when they tested, it had the oil consumption issue (1+ qts/1000 miles). At 50K miles, it started showing the 1qt+ oil loss again. With all the work they did, I could no longer trust the car.

I love the Mustang. It gets better highway gas mileage than the TC and runs a much lower rpm. The only time it burns more fuel is if I hit a lot of stoplights. If I shift by 3,000 rpm, I was able to match the 4 cylinder's mpg. On average though, I gave up 2 mpg. In the TC, you needed to run to 6,250 readline in the TC to get it to move at all. The Mustang has power in excess. It is nice to have more than enough power for a change. Few if any SUVs and truck cut me off when I am on the highway. It was as if they felt that, becasue I could not accelerate as fast as they could, that it was alright to hit the gas and cut me off. That happens next to zero now in the Mustang. The Mustang is so comfortable but it must be with a premium and the B&O sound system. The car also sounds great too. Love the exhaust note. The paint is also much better on the Mustang than the TC. As bad as people complain. Toyota's paint is even softer. I only drive 5K/yr and keep a good distance from the car in front and yet my hood was riddled with chips in the TC. It also had horrible orange peel. The Mustang always looks wet and glossy. I will miss the higher ground clearance of the TC and not worrying about scraping on driveways and such as well.

I purchased a set of winter tires on separate rims and so far they handle great in the snow, at least in what little we had. No need to buy a 4WD or AWD just for the 1-6 snow days a year.

Of course, the TC was like 30-40% of the price of the Mustang. Everything HAS to be better otherwise it is not worth the price I paid for it.

I would never give up the Mustang at this point.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I listed my reasons for trading my Porsche on a Mustang GT last August. As more time has passed, I have to say I really miss that Porsche! Was it worth it? No.
Blue001.jpg

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
I traded my 2009 CTS-V for my 2018 pp1 R.C. I loved my V but after 9 years and 100k miles it was time to move on and could not afford a new one at over 100k

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I traded a 2010 Sonata 5 speed stick. The Sonata was a great car for what it was, a decent, inexpensive and roomy family sedan. I had virtually no issues with it. The sum total repairs were rear sway bar links, driver’s door window motor (both warranty) driver’s door window regulator (my dime), one set of plugs, one set of brakes and a replacement set of summer and winter tires of the OEM and original winters. Plus regular oil and filter changes by me. It was comfortable, the heated seats were fast, as was the heater and a/c. It did everything that I expected it to do, nothing more, nothing less. That said, it was no Mustang so while I did enjoy my 9 years of Sonata ownership, it certainly was worth trading it in.

Sigma6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
02’ 360, 06’ GT, 11’ GT500, 15’ 911, 17’ 350
Yes, This topic hits home really hard as I just sold my 2013 Shelby GT500, I loved that car, and I got a 2017 Roush RS3, which only has 2,000 miles on it.
The torque of the big 5.8 on the Shelby will be missed, but everything else, the S550 just does better.
I even went to an Auto this time. I was losing sleep over if I could really part with the GT500, but I made the right choice for me at least.
Biggest problem with the 13 GT500 was so much power, torque, and having bumpy roads. I could not get the power down until the road surface smoothed out. By then, an auto car of less power was already gone, but watch out on the big end. The Shelby's are fast, but I think I can get the RS3 faster with just a little bit of cost.
Oh, the Roush RS3 is Grabber Blue, my favorite color.
I too miss my Shelby except mine was 07. Lost my job had to let her go. Fast forward. I looked forever for 1 and settled on a auto Vert 13 GT that gets driven and now a 16’ 6sp couple that mothballed. I’ve had some crew guys and shop guys rip me that I shoulda got or still should get a 350 and do a 2:1 trade in. I’m just sooo on the fence. It’s nice to have polar opposite for 2 different driving experiences ;)
Sponsored