Floating Ground Terminal in Trunk

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
While investigating the top well drains I discovered a "floating" ground terminal in the trunk behind the lining on the passenger side. It's just below the radio antenna. I fastened it down where I think it belongs but there are some issues. The "bolt hole" where I mounted the terminal isn't threaded. I tried installing a 6mm and a 5mm bolt but there are no threads in the hole to receive the bolts. It might need a self tapping screw but there are no marks in the hole from a self tapping screw or any threads at all. I used a nut & bolt to fasten it for now but I'd like to fasten it correctly. Do I need to tap the hole with a 5mm tap? Or do I have this terminal fastened in the wrong location? It was the only place that looked like it should go.

Also, I did have the rear camera recall worked on the car a few months ago. This may have been part of the recall but I doubt it. The terminal was just hanging loose and flopping around in the trunk. The terminal end wasn't sealed with shrink tubing or electrical tape to prevent it from shorting to the body ground as I drive the car. Not acceptable. Any facts regarding connecting the ground terminal or isolating it properly and leaving it float would be appreciated.

Thx.

TrunkFloatingGroundTerminal.jpg
Sponsored

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
To the top

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I don't think that ground harness belongs there since there was no thread for a bolt.
This picture is an example of many non-convertible models that have no harness ground at that location.
1670870977331.png

But with your car being a convertible, that ground looks like it might be for something substantial like the roof mechanism. Does your top still work?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Being that I don't have a convertible, if you look up at the "shelf" where the wire hangs down, do you see any scoring or location where the ground wire would have been attached?

Looking at your image and the location of the ribbed plastic push retainer, it seems if that is the location, you have to invert the ribbed retainer into the hole almost immediately behind where it's seen, which will keep the rest of the wire out of the way.

But again, you have a vert and I'm not so sure if that wire should be extended all the way over to that side of the car as you have it. Because to me, the hanging portion looks like it would get hit by objects being put into the trunk and pushed to the back.

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I don't think that ground harness belongs there since there was no thread for a bolt.
This picture is an example of many non-convertible models that have no harness ground at that location.
1670870977331.png

But with your car being a convertible, that ground looks like it might be for something substantial like the roof mechanism. Does your top still work?
Thx. I think that means I attached it in the wrong place. My top works fine. It worked fine before I attached the ground and also afterwards. All the electrical systems in the car worked fine before I attached the ground and afterwards. So I'm not sure what this ground harness is for.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Being that I don't have a convertible, if you look up at the "shelf" where the wire hangs down, do you see any scoring or location where the ground wire would have been attached?

Looking at your image and the location of the ribbed plastic push retainer, it seems if that is the location, you have to invert the ribbed retainer into the hole almost immediately behind where it's seen, which will keep the rest of the wire out of the way.

But again, you have a vert and I'm not so sure if that wire should be extended all the way over to that side of the car as you have it. Because to me, the hanging portion looks like it would get hit by objects being put into the trunk and pushed to the back.
I looked around quite a bit before attaching it below the radio antenna. I don't see anywhere else it could go. The ground terminal has a tab and a screw hole. I need a mounting point in the body with a slot for the tab and a screw/bolt hole at the correct distance from the slot in order to fasten it correctly. I'll have to remove more of the trunk liner under the top well and see if I can find anything further back under the well where it might mount.

Thx.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thx. I think that means I attached it in the wrong place. My top works fine. It worked fine before I attached the ground and also afterwards. All the electrical systems in the car worked fine before I attached the ground and afterwards. So I'm not sure what this ground harness is for.
Did you purchase your car used? Perhaps this was a ground for an aftermarket amplifier(s). Looks like 3 separate ground wires going to that terminal. Maybe trace it back as far as you can?

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Did you purchase your car used? Perhaps this was a ground for an aftermarket amplifier(s). Looks like 3 separate ground wires going to that terminal. Maybe trace it back as far as you can?
Yes, I bought the car used almost a year ago. I don't have any aftermarket accessories in the car. I'm pretty sure that ground terminal is OE. It looks like several of the ground terminals I've encountered other places on the car.

I followed the wires from the terminal up to the harness that runs along the bottom of the top well out towards the passenger fender and then up towards the back seat/rear side windows. It merges into one of the rear end wiring harnesses of the car.

It would help to know what it's for though. Anyone know where I can find free on-line wiring harness diagrams?

Thx.
Sponsored