Grey-Smoke

Grey-Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
18+ GT have that. It's only now that the Tremec is getting it because GT owners are Neanderthals and don't have the skill to heel/toe like the Masters of the Universe GT350 owners who have no need for cheap electronic crutches.
Okay Prince Adam.
Don’t get jealous that the Mach comes with the power of grey skull that can turned off and on.
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Pretty sure it's an '18 and up thing. Think I remember CJPonyparts talking about it and even the manual ecoboosts get it so they can keep boost while slamming gears. Not sure I can tell my feet to operate differently than I'm used to lol
It was originally in the 18+ advertising, but I've yet to see ANYONE get it to actually work. So I'm pretty sure it never made it to market. There was a long thread on it and NO ONE could figure out how to get it working, and it worked for no one.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Could you describe flat shifting for a weenie (that's me)? Thanks.
keep your right foot flat on the floor while you clutch and shift.
Us old-timers call that power shifting! Preload the shifter a lil toward the next gear and kick the clutch pedal while pulling to the next gear.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
It was originally in the 18+ advertising, but I've yet to see ANYONE get it to actually work. So I'm pretty sure it never made it to market. There was a long thread on it and NO ONE could figure out how to get it working, and it worked for no one.
Sounds like I need to head to Mexico soonish and report back.

John Houseman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1969 Cougar Convertible, 2000 F-250, 2013 F-150, 2020 F-150 PREVIOUSLY Owned 1982 Mustaang GT, 1986 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang V-6, 2005 Mustang GT, 2005 Mustang GT Convertible, 2008 Shelby GT500,
Us old-timers call that power shifting! Preload the shifter a lil toward the next gear and kick the clutch pedal while pulling to the next gear.
And we did it without rev limiters in the 70's.

That cost a few people a lot of money though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wilkinda65

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Charger ScatPackWB

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
On my way home from work I had opportunities to experiment a little. Nothing held the RPM for a no lift shift. It acted at it should have and as I expected with RPMs increasing once clutch got pressed.

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black
On my way home from work I had opportunities to experiment a little. Nothing held the RPM for a no lift shift. It acted at it should have and as I expected with RPMs increasing once clutch got pressed.
were you steady over 5k

Tacswa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt - Shadow Black
Yeah you’re right it’s called “no lift shift”. I first learned of it from the video Rick Kelly made and he called it flat shifting but then again he an Aussie. They do say some weird things. LoL
The driving portion is at 18:00

18:58 Mark.......Priceless !

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
I think the Auto-rev match to be the coolest part of the Mach 1 manual.
Noticing a lot of people commenting that they like the auto rev match... my 2018 doesn't have it. It annoyed me test driving the Mach, maybe after having it for a while I'll get used to it and appreciate it more. I just feel like the more electronic helpers they add, the less skill it takes to drive. I'd rather go slower without help, I think half the fun is constantly challenging yourself to use all your driving skills.

But I'm old. I had a 1971 GMC 1500 pickup with a 3 on the tree. One time I was driving and all of a sudden the shifter lost all resistance. Coasted off the road and looked under the truck and saw a linkage arm hanging where a pin had come out. Found a wire coat hanger behind the seat, crawled under the truck and wired the linkage back together, and was able to drive it home. Aah the good old days where everything was slow and nothing was complicated!

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
.... I just feel like the more electronic helpers they add, the less skill it takes to drive. I'd rather go slower without help, I think half the fun is constantly challenging yourself to use all your driving skills.
The more of those things they add, the harder it gets to even develop many of the skills that were once essential.

One of my past cars experienced a clutch linkage failure that let the rod that normally connected to the clutch pedal spear the clutch position switch (basically destroying it). So I shorted what was left, reconnected the linkage, and drove home. Never did fix the little switch.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I gotta wonder if these new kids who call this technique 'flat shifting' know about the preloading the shift lever part . . .

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I gotta wonder if these new kids who call this technique 'flat shifting' know about the preloading the shift lever part . . .
is that strictly necessary though? It's not like today's shifters are as sloppy as yesteryear. But to really appreciate it we just need to go to sequential shifting and stop pussy-footing around.