Flat shifting is pretty slick!

Grey-Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Tried out the flat shifting today. I must say that it’s pretty slick! Only works in track or drag mode and must be 5,000rpm or higher to work. I’ve been trying to get faster at my shifts before I tried it. With this it’s a matter of how fast can you press the clutch shift and release. Pretty sure I can’t shift that fast and be that perfect every time. This car is pretty amazing with the sound, handling, aero, cooling, breaking rev matches and flat shifting it’s so fun to drive.
if you bought a Mach 1 and don’t have it yet and are still a little unsure if you made the right choice. I can tell you I have zero regrets getting this over the gt 350 I was going to get.(I still love the 5.2 sound and the extra horses but this is a beast of its own)
Sponsored

hbash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Howard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Tried out the flat shifting today. I must say that it’s pretty slick! Only works in track or drag mode and must be 5,000rpm or higher to work. I’ve been trying to get faster at my shifts before I tried it. With this it’s a matter of how fast can you press the clutch shift and release. Pretty sure I can’t shift that fast and be that perfect every time. This car is pretty amazing with the sound, handling, aero, cooling, breaking rev matches and flat shifting it’s so fun to drive.
if you bought a Mach 1 and don’t have it yet and are still a little unsure if you made the right choice. I can tell you I have zero regrets getting this over the gt 350 I was going to get.(I still love the 5.2 sound and the extra horses but this is a beast of its own)
Could you describe flat shifting for a weenie (that's me)? Thanks.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
Could you describe flat shifting for a weenie (that's me)? Thanks.
keep your right foot flat on the floor while you clutch and shift.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I can tell you I have zero regrets getting this over the gt 350 I was going to get.(I still love the 5.2 sound and the extra horses but this is a beast of its own)
Congrats on a great new toy... I can tell you that your 2021 Mach1 sounds better and is much quicker than any 2021 GT350 out there...!!!!!

OP
OP
Grey-Smoke

Grey-Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Congrats on a great new toy... I can tell you that your 2021 Mach1 sounds better and is much quicker than any 2021 GT350 out there...!!!!!
Haha yeah but more then likely not faster then a 2020 gt 350.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Grey-Smoke

Grey-Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Yeah you can keep WOT and shift through the gears never letting up from the throttle. It’d be interesting to see a head to head race against the 10 speed because flat shifting makes the car faster then I can. Reminds me of a slap shifter in a drag car.

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Yeah you can keep WOT and shift through the gears never letting up from the throttle. It’d be interesting to see a head to head race against the 10 speed because flat shifting makes the car faster then I can. Reminds me of a slap shifter in a drag car.
That's cool!

Is this a Mach1 thing? I am guessing no, because my GTPP has rev limiter (God knows I've bounced off of it on 2nd gear WOT), so I would think it is possible on all s550s?

If so, then why are we hear about this now??? When the A10 folks were pissing on us??? (Just kidding about A10's being meanies, please... read my other post on what I think about tranny snobs, but when it comes to which tranny is best, i am neutral, and the pun is intended).

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
That's cool!

Is this a Mach1 thing? I am guessing no, because my GTPP has rev limiter (God knows I've bounced off of it on 2nd gear WOT), so I would think it is possible on all s550s?

If so, then why are we hear about this now??? When the A10 folks were pissing on us??? (Just kidding about A10's being meanies, please... read my other post on what I think about tranny snobs, but when it comes to which tranny is best, i am neutral, and the pun is intended).
Pretty sure it's an '18 and up thing. Think I remember CJPonyparts talking about it and even the manual ecoboosts get it so they can keep boost while slamming gears. Not sure I can tell my feet to operate differently than I'm used to lol

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I have this cool thing where I floor it and hit the right paddle to go through the gears and its faster than a GT350... LOL
Sorry, had to ...
I had the no-lift shift for a bit on my 15GT when I had the Ford Performance tune. It was cool but hard to train the brain to do this unnatural shift and sometimes it would engage when I didn't want it to if the clutch wasn't all the way up when banging through the gears.
I think the Auto-rev match to be the coolest part of the Mach 1 manual.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Its more commonly known as a "no lift shift" (never heard it called flat shifting). The Ford Powerpack Tunes add it as well. I have it on my '16 GT/PP with PowerPack 2. Its alot of fun when you just mash the go petal and row the gears.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
We always called it speed shifting back in the '80s and '90s, before electronic trickery was a thing....

OP
OP
Grey-Smoke

Grey-Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Its more commonly known as a "no lift shift" (never heard it called flat shifting). The Ford Powerpack Tunes add it as well. I have it on my '16 GT/PP with PowerPack 2. Its alot of fun when you just mash the go petal and row the gears.
Yeah you’re right it’s called “no lift shift”. I first learned of it from the video Rick Kelly made and he called it flat shifting but then again he an Aussie. They do say some weird things. LoL
The driving portion is at 18:00

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I think the Auto-rev match to be the coolest part of the Mach 1 manual.
18+ GT have that. It's only now that the Tremec is getting it because GT owners are Neanderthals and don't have the skill to heel/toe like the Masters of the Universe GT350 owners who have no need for cheap electronic crutches.
Sponsored