Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
According to Ford authority the Mach 1 Handling Package will be available with rear seat delete for serious trackers. Woohoo ! The Mach 1 will give the GT350 Mustang drivers fits.
How so? It has what, 50 less horsepower? Assuming that the drivers are equal, removing the backseat saves let's say, 50 pounds. If I was a betting man, I'd still place my money on the GT350.

I wonder who is going to be the first company to claim that you can shift without using your clutch if you press the gas just right.
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Am I the only one who is disappointing by this?
We're at the point that internal combustion powered cars are never going to beat electrics 0-60 so why not drop the one shift 0-60 oriented gearing and make the car more fun to drive with some closer ratios?
For a dual-purpose street/road course kind of car there isn't much reason for tight 1-2 gear spacing. 1st still needs to be short enough for the street driving, but on a road course 1st is only needed to get you rolling down pit lane or if you have to stop on course for a red flag or if you spin. Otherwise you're rarely going much slower than about 40 mph.

A really serious road course car might well benefit from having a tall 1st gear on courses with a really slow corner or two, with tighter 1-2 spacing, but that'd give up too much 'streetability' for most folks.

Norm

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
1st still needs to be short enough for the street driving, but on a road course 1st is only needed to get you rolling down pit lane
With the D4 and 3.73, if the tires are rotating at all I just use 2nd gear (2.1). A 2.7''ish maybe as short as 2.9 is plenty for 1st if you have the 3.73 gears. That compares to 3.24 (D4) or 3.66 (D5) first gears. Those are only useful for 0-60ft times and gross overkill for street duty.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With the D4 and 3.73, if the tires are rotating at all I just use 2nd gear (2.1). A 2.7''ish maybe as short as 2.9 is plenty for 1st if you have the 3.73 gears. That compares to 3.24 (D4) or 3.66 (D5) first gears. Those are only useful for 0-60ft times and gross overkill for street duty.
When I say 'for street duty' I'm looking at getting the car to start rolling from a full stop - and very possibly on an uphill slope - without having to feather or ride the clutch. That's a 1st gear situation.

I've owned a car where (for a while) 1st gear was essentially identical to 2nd gear in an S550 with an MT82, 3.31s in the axle, and 275/40-19 rear tires. Do-able in normal driving (just barely) and way harder on the clutch than any sensible powertrain combination should ever be.

I get that with 3.73s in the axle, 1st gear in either of the MT82 boxes is somewhat shorter than what some of us could live with. Maybe many of us. Just not everybody. Some folks are going to need the extra 'help' and there's going to be a fair number of people who are looking for the stronger launch and short times at the drag strip. Which are why Ford gives everybody a little more 1st gear.

Norm
Sponsored

Last edited: