Ctodd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach1
OK, got it. Thank you.
Parts and chip shortages continue. It's going to be costly to Ford as they still pay the workers at a reduced rate. "my Dept is here all week regardless....but the others get 85% of 40 hrs while shut-down through the end of the month"
Sponsored

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
Unfortunately USA has no rare earth or processing capacity so local production will only be achieved with the same foreign players as partners and rare earth that China has 98% of after 40 years of exploration and development.

No China rare earth - no chips.
Most people are oblivious to this. While American does have a potential vein to mine from it would take years to get up and going. If China so desired it could basically cut off the world to modern tech by no longer exporting the rare earth metals. At least for a few decades. Economics would likely keep this from happening though. China relies to heavily on outside income especially from America.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Most people are oblivious to this. While American does have a potential vein to mine from it would take years to get up and going. If China so desired it could basically cut off the world to modern tech by no longer exporting the rare earth metals. At least for a few decades. Economics would likely keep this from happening though. China relies to heavily on outside income especially from America.
But they can ransom the West. I’m not much of a political person, but I’m pretty sure the Chinese are going to take over the world, just by virtue of supplying so many things that used to be made in the US (and Canada). We gave it up because we didn’t want to pay that much for [insert item here]. We lost the production, the jobs and the self reliance.

OP
OP
22GT

22GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2020 f150 xlt, 2013 avenger 3.6l, 2017 f350 srw xl
I did see where Ohio won a bid to build a semiconductor plant valued at 20 billion to build. It's supposed to be the biggest in the world when done. It will be awesome once done but who know when that will be.

Strokercrate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 400a Black Accent.
I did see where Ohio won a bid to build a semiconductor plant valued at 20 billion to build. It's supposed to be the biggest in the world when done. It will be awesome once done but who know when that will be.
Its not the semi conductors themselves. Its the rare earth metals needed to make the conductors. Those come from China. The majority of semi conductors come from Taiwan.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Bad news........very bad news!

Friday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) is showing Flat Rock being down the following weeks:
  • 01/17/2022
  • 01/24/2022
  • 02/21/2022
  • 02/28/2022
  • 03/07/2022

OutWest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Old Person Special Mach 1
Bad news........very bad news!

Friday's FDNB (Fleet Distribution News Bulletin) is showing Flat Rock being down the following weeks:
  • 01/17/2022
  • 01/24/2022
  • 02/21/2022
  • 02/28/2022
  • 03/07/2022
Yes, but you previously said that the Feb/March shut down is a regular one for maintenance. So, basically lost two weeks of production in January. Judging from how the plant caught up last Nov/Dec, I got the feeling it is more of a nuisance than actual production lost. That's my hope

Luckybob2485

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
That’s not good to hear. Mine has been “shipped” for a week now but doesn’t appear to be making any movement towards the dealer.

Last edited:

theruleslawyer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
MB C350
I'm just lucky I don't need a car. Still it would be nice to have it before the weather starts warming up. Good weather is way too short up north.

Sponsored
OP
OP
22GT

22GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2020 f150 xlt, 2013 avenger 3.6l, 2017 f350 srw xl
Oh crap so it's down again this week? Looks like we are in it for the long haul boys!

LikeMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
But they can ransom the West. I’m not much of a political person, but I’m pretty sure the Chinese are going to take over the world, just by virtue of supplying so many things that used to be made in the US (and Canada). We gave it up because we didn’t want to pay that much for [insert item here]. We lost the production, the jobs and the self reliance.
I hate this take. It has nothing to do with what consumers are willing to pay for. Taking the lowest bidders to build these products has always been the end game. There's a reason why high margin designer clothes are still manufactured in China.

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
This reminds me of rants my Dad would go on back in the '80s. He warned then about the US becoming more of a service economy as more manufacturing went overseas. Funny how right he was about this, and other things.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I hate this take. It has nothing to do with what consumers are willing to pay for. Taking the lowest bidders to build these products has always been the end game. There's a reason why high margin designer clothes are still manufactured in China.
Exactly. Nothing about this has anything to do with politics, it has everything to do with capitalism and way corporate world operates.
Sponsored