First wash

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
About to wash my car myself for the first time. I had it detailed about 3 weeks ago and the paint turned out perfect. It sat outside in the rain and is now covered in dust and light water spots (easily wipe off with a finger).

Any tips for washing without creating swirl marks in the paint? I normally use foam and the two bucket method but even that will swirl paint sometimes.
Sponsored

T Fades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6spd active exhaust
Wash wheels/tires first.

Foam the car first before doing the first rinse.

Then rinse really well.

Then apply more foam.

Good that you use the 2 bucket method. I also suggest to use a microfiber wash mit that is only for the mustang, and don't use that mit for wheels/tires/exhaust tips.

When you use the mit to wash the body, don't go in circular motions, but only 1 direction front to back. This will greatly reduce the swirl scratches.

Rinse car well then dry with a microfiber towel that is only used for the mustang body.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I agree with the above. My only addition would be to use a quick detailer as lubrication for the drying process to keep the drying towel from marring the paint. I typically use P&S Beadmaker which adds a small amount of protection behind but my newest favorite is Adams Slick and Slide. I also use a very highly absorbent drying towel, my favorite is the Gauntlet from the Rag Company.

vinny89gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
LaFlamaBlanca
Vehicle(s)
2023 Iconic Silver GT PP
My tip would be to use a leaf blower to dry the car off as much as possible before finishing with drying towels. The less you touch the paint, the less chance for swirls/scratches/etc.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Gauntlet towel is really good, I have 4 of them LOL. Adams Detail Spray also makes a good drying aid, super slick. Ethos Finish Shine is what I use currently as a drying aid, but Iā€™m ceramic coated with their coating and theyā€™re made to play well with each other. But you can definitely use it with other waxes/sealants/coatings. Happy washing!

Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
The gauntlet towel is my go-to, whenever I don't use the Adams Air Cannon.

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I was planning on a leaf blower and then final dry/wipe down with meguires ceramic quick detailer. happy to see Iā€™m on the right track!

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
I was planning on a leaf blower and then final dry/wipe down with meguires ceramic quick detailer. happy to see Iā€™m on the right track!
Absolutely. I didn't even think when I replied before when you said you had the car detailed. If it is coated or has protection already, blowing off is a great option as nice tight beads blow off really easy then only have to wipe up the drips pretty much. I know mine, the gas cap door, hood vents and spoiler (PP1 spoiler) drips for days :)

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Absolutely. I didn't even think when I replied before when you said you had the car detailed. If it is coated or has protection already, blowing off is a great option as nice tight beads blow off really easy then only have to wipe up the drips pretty much. I know mine, the gas cap door, hood vents and spoiler (PP1 spoiler) drips for days :)
Yeah I totally missed the detailed part too. Absolutely use a blower first if possible.

I hear you on the spoiler. I donā€™t get a ton of water but a few annoying drips when opening a couple times after a wash day. Which then water spots so I have to break out the detail spray to get them before they etch into my coating.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I totally missed the detailed part too. Absolutely use a blower first if possible.

I hear you on the spoiler. I donā€™t get a ton of water but a few annoying drips when opening a couple times after a wash day. Which then water spots so I have to break out the detail spray to get them before they etch into my coating.
Yes, I deal with that too. And if I'm not quick enough, Koch Chemie FSE is a life saver. I use as a drying aid when I'm drying with non filtered water on a hot sunny day. Works wonders on the minerals.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Wheels donā€™t have to come first, I like doing them last myself. Just make sure you spray off any wheel cleaner overspray from the fenders.

Foam the car first and let it dwell. Then rinse it off using low pressure/wide angle tips. Refoam the car and when hand washing use very light pressure. You shouldnā€™t be scrubbing the paint, mostly just wiping the soap foam off the car and then rinse. Look for any stubborn spots and treat them individually using the appropriate cleaner/degreaser.

Blow dry the car and then use a good towel like the TRC Gauntlet to apply your drying aid.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Hybrid Ceramic Detailer is one of Meguiar's absolute best products! Use that as a drying aid after the wash and you will keep the coating maintained and help limit towel induced swirls.

IMG-2587.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Any tips for washing without creating swirl marks in the paint?
I'm thinkin' It's all about the contamination of the wash mit/pad. If it's quality MF material, it should not mar the paint so any marks have to come from moving tiny but very hard dirt particles caught between the mit and the clear coat, back and forth.

The less you touch the paint, the less chance for swirls/scratches/etc.
I couldn't agree more, Vinny. Blow drying vice towel drying will reduce the chances of scratching the clear coat substantially.

So, if my theory is true, then it comes down to the quality of the foam soap. If it has enough lubrication to prevent this from happening (or at least greatly reduce it,) AND no pressure is used on the mit, the chances of marring the paint are reduced if not eliminated.

The same idea applies to drying and the reason that a drying aid (with lubrication,) is recommended. In this case, the lube is even more important than during the wash because there is much less lubrication than with foamed soap and thus, a greater risk of marring.

Wheels donā€™t have to come first, I like doing them last myself.
I just like to get the hardest part of the job done right off the bat, Brian which is why I do them first but as you said, the order doesn't matter. It goes without saying that this is where the "two bucket" concept comes into play to include brushes, mits, etc., so that no wheel-related contamination ever gets to the wash bucket for the body.

..don't go in circular motions, but only 1 direction front to back
I've read that it's safe to go back north and south and, east and west, T, just never in a circular motion.

T Fades

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 GT 6spd active exhaust
Correct, it doesn't matter if you do the wheels/tires first or last. I just like to do them first so when I am done washing the car body I can immediately go to the drying stage. If you wash the wheels/tires after the body, then that gives the water on the body to start drying and cause water spots. This is really an issue when the weather warms up.

Also forgot to mention, when I do wheels/tires, I technically use a 3 wash bucket method. I use the 3rd bucket for only wheels/tires. The body gets the other 2 buckets and is never contaminated with wheel/tire brushes and dirty water.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If you wash the wheels/tires after the body, then that gives the water on the body to start drying and cause water spots. This is really an issue when the weather warms up.
Not if you use a deionizer like CR Spotless šŸ˜‰
Sponsored