Sponsored

First time getting a modified exhaust ticket, what should i do now? *please help

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I knew the OP was from California before I even opened this thread. Garbage state, lol.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I knew the OP was from California before I even opened this thread. Garbage state, lol.
Wow, one guy gets a ticket and you denigrate an entire state of 40 million people. As if Texas is a perfect state (just like South Carolina) :angel::)

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Wow, one guy gets a ticket and you denigrate an entire state of 40 million people. As if Texas is a perfect state (just like South Carolina) :angel::)
Perfect enough that Californians are coming here to ruin it.

TheDonEffect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
AB 1824 was the law that restricted decibel levels to under 95 or you were fined. AB 390 reverted it back to fix it tickets. doesnt change the decibel level restriction tho
Ah, well that's better. So fix it or pay the fee, no escalation.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I agree, but just FWIW: Ford says there is no such thing, or more precisely state legal wouldn't mean it is municipality legal. The person responsible for such things at Ford said in an interview (either Car&Driver or Road&Track) that cities often have their own noise standards and it is impossible (so Ford doesn't try) to make an exhaust that is guaranteed to comply with the massive number and subject to change different laws.
I'm with you. The only reason I say fight it is because the burden of proof falls on the Manisapality to prove your above there standard. Cops don't have calibrated ears. And when I fought that type of ticket here in Jersey. I showed up in court and made that point. They rescheduled a second court date. Where the officer was supposed to supply a calibrated decibel meter. And paper work to prove the yearly cal of the meter. This is the important point. The meter must be calibrated by an outside agency. The officer never showed up for the second date and the case was dismissed. That happens alot here in Jersey with radar guns and decibel meters not have the proper calibration certificates.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Ca law enforcement don't usually carry DB meters in there cars. They just go off judgment call and let the ref take it from there.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
More importantly, which party pushed for the law in the first place?
The exhaust noise laws in California go back to 2003. Sorry, do not know who was responsible for writing it.

AB1824 only pertained to how a given ticket would be handled. Prior to AB1824 it was a fix-it ticket. AB1824 changed that to a pay only ticket. The repeal changed it back to a fix-it ticket.

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2019/02/fact-vs-fiction-explaining-californias-new-exhaust-noise-law

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I understand the law, the distaste, and the changes made back and forth. My beef is with who proposed and then passed AB1824. I have a strong suspicion.
This isn't a right or left thing, and really it's not a commie vs freedom thing either. As a person who has to hear your stupid-ass exhaust, you are impinging on my right to not have to wear ear plugs or take overt action to protect my hearing or have to cease polite conversation until your self-centered, inconsiderate ass moves far enough away to stop bothering everybody.

Civility should not need to be codified into law but there are enough ass-holes in society who don't care about acting in consideration of their fellow man. And this is the predictable result. In the bad old days, the people by the roadside would draw our 6-shooters and shoot holes in your damn tires if not the engine block while we're at it and you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Haul ass thru a Interstate tunnel or do it out where the lizards roam free and nobody cares. But when in you're in town, act like a useful member of society. In Commie-fornia's case it likely has everything to do with the exhaust violating CARB. Sound violation is just much easier to spot and cite.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See edit above to see who proposed and signed the bill into law.

The issue is that it took away the ability to have your say. That's the concern. Regarding stupid loud exhaust, I'm no fan. The issue here was how the law was implemented/written.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
More importantly, which party pushed for the law in the first place?
That's not relevant either. There isn't a Republican in office to be found within 300 miles of SFO (are there any in the entire state?) so by default it would have been a Dem to propose the regulation. That doesn't make it ipso facto 'evil'. You could make an decent argument for why a sound ordinance wasn't handled at the local jurisdiction level instead of making it State-wide. That's where the Dem's penchant for reaching for the biggest possible hammer to impose their will on the populace comes into play... I'm not at all saying the Rep haven't played the same 'nuclear' option. Just that one party reaches for that solution a whole lot more than the other.
Sponsored