Sponsored

First time getting a modified exhaust ticket, what should i do now? *please help

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What exhaust system do you have?

As stated in the links above. Stock or CARB legal is the best bet with California.
I was just thinking if you had the active exhaust and got pulled over when in track mode could you get out of the ticket by switching back to normal while pulled over?
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If your exhaust is 50 state legal fight the ticket.
I agree, but just FWIW: Ford says there is no such thing, or more precisely state legal wouldn't mean it is municipality legal. The person responsible for such things at Ford said in an interview (either Car&Driver or Road&Track) that cities often have their own noise standards and it is impossible (so Ford doesn't try) to make an exhaust that is guaranteed to comply with the massive number and subject to change different laws.

99Zeus99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack Whipple Stage 1 Manual
Send Big Brother a thank you note. Fix the exhaust, you will be saving the planet, and as a bonus " it for the children."
My first instinct would be to leave CA in the rear view. Move to a free state. Probably doesn't help you but just being honest.

Dory

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
When I took my grandfather for a ride he told me back in the day he straight piped his 49 ford and drove it hella loud down town to make it echo off building and would frequently get tickets. He said the trick was to stuff a bunch of steel wool in the mufflers and take it for inspection and then to pull the steel wool back out. I hope this helps!

TheDonEffect

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tbd
There is no carb legal exhaust because as long as they dont mess with the emissions systems, it will pass a smog test. Independent of that are noise laws which is what you got popped for.
Iirc, and I may not, it's no longer a fix it ticket, it's just a straight fine. Next offense costs more and I think the third they impound it or something ridiculous like that. So you fix it to avoid the escalating punishment.

Sponsored

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
If there was a fine for a faulty exhaust, I would think that would be indicated on the ticket. Years ago, I had a turbo muffler made by thrush on a 1976 Mercury. The muffler was really loud and I did not really care that much for the sound it made , so when a policeman in Minnesota gave me a ticket, I just put a really quiet muffler on the Mercury and never got stopped anymore for a faulty exhaust. I never had to pay a fine or have the exhaust inspected.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
There is no carb legal exhaust because as long as they dont mess with the emissions systems, it will pass a smog test. Independent of that are noise laws which is what you got popped for.
Iirc, and I may not, it's no longer a fix it ticket, it's just a straight fine. Next offense costs more and I think the third they impound it or something ridiculous like that. So you fix it to avoid the escalating punishment.
AB 1824 was the law that restricted decibel levels to under 95 or you were fined. AB 390 reverted it back to fix it tickets. doesnt change the decibel level restriction tho

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Vote for people who will get rid of the dumb laws. Talk to your friends get them to vote that way as well. Talk to your legislator. Fix the source of the problem - tyrannical government that wants to control every facet of your life.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
My first instinct would be to leave CA in the rear view. Move to a free state. Probably doesn't help you but just being honest.
Vote for people who will get rid of the dumb laws. Talk to your friends get them to vote that way as well. Talk to your legislator. Fix the source of the problem - tyrannical government that wants to control every facet of your life.
Just so you know that both of the assemblymen looking to repeal this law are Democrats.
https://www.williamweisslaw.com/ab-1824-repeal-bill-introduced/

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Just so you know that both of the assemblymen looking to repeal this law are Democrats.
https://www.williamweisslaw.com/ab-1824-repeal-bill-introduced/
Democrat is just a label. I agree with most of JFK's policies and actions, for example. Many republicans including our president have done things I don't agree with. I really wasn't trying to divide with my statement or upset you or anyone else. I think almost all of us as Mustang people can get behind low/reduced regulations with respect to our great vehicles.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
Democrat is just a label. I agree with most of JFK's policies and actions, for example. Many republicans including our president have done things I don't agree with. I really wasn't trying to divide with my statement or upset you or anyone else. I think almost all of us as Mustang people can get behind low/reduced regulations with respect to our great vehicles.
Absolutely 100%. :like::handshake: I just thought it was interesting. I bet both those guys are car people.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Move to another state, problem solved.

IMO, any State, County or Local PD pulling over people because of exhaust loudness is a total waste of such resources. Don’t they have anything better to do?

Time to move...
Disagree, depend how loud it is. I think that the "loud pipes syndrome" is linked to the "small hands syndrome"
In the motorcycle world, usually the loudest bikes are also the slowest. You know, those American-made V twins and their riders that believe loud pipes save lives.... Seriously???
What is a total waste of resources is ticketing cars with no front license plates

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
How was it determined that your noise level was above legal?

Did the cop have a decibel O' meter?