Sponsored

First time driving a 6MT. Quick questiong about downshifting please.

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
You need to remove the clutch pedal "assist spring". It's the most retarded device I have ever seen on a clutch. It would surely sabotage ANY first time clutch user.

Idiocy at it's best! :doh:
Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
yes remove it, so you can get better feel of clutch engagement

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
its muscle memory, just keep driving and it will become second nature
How does one know it becomes second nature? When you drive it in traffic, and you don't mind or even think about it.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
when youre driving and you dont remember how you got up to 6th gear. That means you are on auto pilot and its nearly subconcious

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
Below is a chart that shows some combinations of speed / gear / rpms.

So for example if your in 6th doing 65 mph your rpms should be around 1800. To rev match you'd need to bring your rpms up to 2800 for 5th gear.
SpeedGearRpm.jpg

Sponsored

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
As said above, rev match is your friend when downshifting.

There are tons of videos on this. There are also many videos (or articles on Internet) about how manual transmission works. Just search Youtube with keywords "how ... works".

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I think im getting it! I practiced a lot today.
Dont want to open a new thread and i have a new question heheh.
How do you downshift and go WOT quickly on the freeway? I let a friend drive it today and he says he clutches in, downshifts and floors it as he is releasing the clutch? Would that burn my clutch? Flooring it while the clutch is not fully out yet? The car smelled funny inside the cabin after he did that but i have no idea how a burning clutch smells lol.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I think im getting it! I practiced a lot today.
Dont want to open a new thread and i have a new question heheh.
How do you downshift and go WOT quickly on the freeway? I let a friend drive it today and he says he clutches in, downshifts and floors it as he is releasing the clutch? Would that burn my clutch? Flooring it while the clutch is not fully out yet? The car smelled funny inside the cabin after he did that but i have no idea how a burning clutch smells lol.
Thats your clutch burning. Maybe you should focus on the basics and getting the right form before you worry about going WOT right after downshifting. Same goes for your buddy, who obviously cant do it properly either.

tl:dr learn to walk before you run.

TricarboNate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Orange GT
So, I am new too, but can drive it pretty well now.

Downshifting: Use double clutch rev-matched downshifts. Sounds difficult, but I even do it without thinking now. Every downshift is so smooth now, you can't even tell it went into gear. Not only that, but sounds amazing and is sooo satisfying when you do it perfectly.

If you are shifting right, you really shouldn't hear any clunks, grinding or clicks. Also, when rev matching, always overshoot your RPM target, since revs will fall. And no, don't be flooring it, until the clutch is fully out.....otherwise good way to toast it.

mrblanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
The shifting will become mostly automatic. Your brain sets aside a little corner of memory, and fills it with what you need to know. It's like riding a bike; if you have to think about what you're doing, you probably won't do it right.

My wife is a truck driver/instructor and teaches people who to shift 10 gears all the time. She's had a little trouble on her new Mustang, because she doesn't have to double-clutch, etc. However, she WILL eventually be able to do it all automatically on the Mustang, because her brain will develop a different "file" for the car instead of the truck.

Oh, and downshifting when coming to a stop isn't really necessary. You're using up your $1000 clutch and $3000 transmission to save your $200 brakes.

Sponsored

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
dont need to double clutch to downshift rev match, waste of movement. Just give it a little throttle before the clutch engages. Dont change gears without giving a little throttle or else it bogs the engine and you get rough shifts.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
So, I am new too, but can drive it pretty well now.

Downshifting: Use double clutch rev-matched downshifts. Sounds difficult, but I even do it without thinking now. Every downshift is so smooth now, you can't even tell it went into gear. Not only that, but sounds amazing and is sooo satisfying when you do it perfectly.

If you are shifting right, you really shouldn't hear any clunks, grinding or clicks. Also, when rev matching, always overshoot your RPM target, since revs will fall. And no, don't be flooring it, until the clutch is fully out.....otherwise good way to toast it.
dont need to double clutch to downshift rev match, waste of movement. Just give it a little throttle before the clutch engages. Dont change gears without giving a little throttle or else it bogs the engine and you get rough shifts.
I understand that double clutch is not really needed for modern cars with syncro. But, what can I say, double clutch is sooooo addicting that I find myself doing it all the time when downshifting. Soooo smooth.

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Guys! I figured out what the clicking/clanking noise was! I was getting off the clutch too quickly after changing gears! I didnt know you had to release the clutch THAT slow to get smooth shifts. Now its sound free but i feel my pause up shifting between each gear got longer.

Also, I will youtube what double clutch downshifting means. I dont understand that concept.

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
So to rev match downshift. I can:
Clutch in, down shift, rev car with clutch fully depressed and release clutch at the right time?

Edit: Thanks for all the help guys! I even thought about paying for some manual transmission classes but im learning a lot from this forum. :)

Sixth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Replace your clutch spring. Buy the Steeda spring, throw it in. The stock spring makes the pedal too soft and it is hard to tell where your engagement point is. Your driving will improve. The MT-82 has always been noisy. Throw in an exhaust and you would barely notice.
Sponsored