Sponsored

First time driving a 6MT. Quick questiong about downshifting please.

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong section.
So this is my first manual transmission ever and i have no one to ask since everyone around me never drove one. I've been driving for a little more than a week and i got most of the stuff figured out except downshifting!
Let me explain when it happens, I'm speeding up reaching speed limit when they start braking and slow down almost to a crawl so i have to downshift to 2nd to keep moving. Now, If i get off the clutch really really slow i can do it smoothly but it takes some time to get moving again. If i get off the clutch a little faster its harsh and the transmission makes some weird clunking sounds.
How can i get moving again faster without it being harsh?

Also, is it normal for the transmission to make a lot of noises when shifting? I hear a lot of clicks and thuds when up shifting. I'm aware of the notorious MT-82 thud but i also hear a lot of metallic clicking noises.

Thanks for your time! Sorry if my post is confusing, English in not my first language :p
Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
When you downshift: Clutch in, blip the throttle to around where the gear below would hold, release the clutch. Don't worry about it seeming weird at first, you'll get the hang of it. This is my first manual car too and it will become second nature to you!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
^The above and watch some videos about how to do it.

Evil Minion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GTI
When you downshift: Clutch in, blip the throttle to around where the gear below would hold, release the clutch. Don't worry about it seeming weird at first, you'll get the hang of it. This is my first manual car too and it will become second nature to you!
I'll 2nd this ^

It'll be a bit rough feeling at first until you get the hang of exactly how hard to blip and everything.

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Cool, I only heard about the term rev-match didnt really know what it meant lol
So if i rev-match can i get off the clutch faster? Also, do i accelerate while im getting off the clutch or after the clutch is completely out?
Thanks for the tips guys!

Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you've matched the revs pretty close you can release the clutch pretty quick. The closer you get it to the correct rpm before releasing the clutch the smoother the transition will be.

In your example if it is a quick deceleration I wouldn't hit every gear when downshifting. Here's what I do if I'm already in 6th. Around 1.5-2k rpm I'll shift to 5th. 5th can take you all the way down to around 35 mph. At 35 mph I'll rev match into 3rd and slow to maybe 20 mph. From here you play it by ear. If it's coming to a stop I'll put the clutch in and stop then shift into 1st. If still rolling a little I'll rev match and shift to 2nd. This assume level ground. If you're on a hill you won't want to run the rpm's too low.

Hang in there. You'll get the hang of it. Try to blip/rev-match by bring the rpm's up around 1k more than they are currently when dropping one gear. I've also found blipping easier when in sport+ mode because the throttle is more responsive.

Last edited:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
if you are new to MT, I would minimize any big downshifts, particularly to 1st and 2nd. Just brake to an appropriate speed for the gear, and then clutch & shift. So if you are going 55 mph and traffic is stopping ahead, just brake down to 10-25 mph and then clutch & shift.

You should not hear any metallic or clunk sounds, except maybe if the transmission is cold and its cold outside, which for SoCal, is probably never. The transmission has synchronizers, and they can wear out or get damaged.

On a related note, try not to slip the clutch at the higher RPMs. It can take a lot of torque, but if it gets overheated, it will fail easy.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
All of the above but also:

- Thuds in this tranny are normal, especially in lower gears it seems.

- Make sure you're putting the clutch ALL THE WAY to the floor with each shift. Sometimes it may not feel like you need to but you definitely want to. I believe it even says something about it in the owners manual.

- Sounds you definitely DON'T want to hear are grinding. Make sure you're not forcing it into a gear if you feel like you're locked out (and you will get locked out, trust me). The factory bushings are garbage. For the most part, you shouldn't have a problem but I have definitely had occasions where I'm locked out of a gear for some reason. Not often but it does happen (obviously 1st gear will be locked out when you're moving). I'm planning to install a Blowfish bracket or something along those lines soon.

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
if you are new to MT, I would minimize any big downshifts, particularly to 1st and 2nd. Just brake to an appropriate speed for the gear, and then clutch & shift. So if you are going 55 mph and traffic is stopping ahead, just brake down to 10-25 mph and then clutch & shift.

You should not hear any metallic or clunk sounds, except maybe if the transmission is cold and its cold outside, which for SoCal, is probably never. The transmission has synchronizers, and they can wear out or get damaged.

On a related note, try not to slip the clutch at the higher RPMs. It can take a lot of torque, but if it gets overheated, it will fail easy.
by clutch & shift you mean, clutch in and put it in neutral and then select the next gear?
So i shouldnt hear any clicking sounds? I hear them a lot when shifting. How does grinding sound? Like a groaning sound? I dont think i grinded my gears before?

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
by clutch & shift you mean, clutch in and put it in neutral and then select the next gear?
So i shouldnt hear any clicking sounds? I hear them a lot when shifting. How does grinding sound? Like a groaning sound? I dont think i grinded my gears before?
I think he's saying that if you see that you're coming to a stop, don't worry about downshifting right now. Just slow down, put the clutch in, and go to neutral (for a stop) or select whatever lower gear if traffic gets moving again.

Ultimately, as someone else had mentioned, youtube videos might be your best bet. It's a lot harder to explain these concepts than having someone actually show them to you in action.

As for the tranny sounds, it depends. If there is a silent MT-82 out in the world, I've never heard about it. Mine definitely thuds quite a bit in the lower gear shifts (1-2 or 2-3). That's about all I get though. I have heard of people talking about other mechanical noises but can't say that I've dealt with them myself.

You'll know when you're grinding. It's basically the sound of when you're forcing it into a gear without the clutch and/or if you get locked out and try to force it. You'll hear it AND feel it. It basically feels like an electric shock coming through the shifter because of the vibration.

Sponsored
OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
Oh ok cool. I dont think i did that before then lol
Hmmm now im worried about the clicking noises. I get those pretty often when shifting. Maybe ill take it in to double check.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My MT82 shifts smooth when its warm. 1st to 2nd might be an issue when its cold outside and the car is cold, but I haven't decided on that.

At what point do you get clicking noises?

As for downshifting, you will want to do that to accelerate sometimes at highway speed. So if you are cruising at 55 mph in 5th gear and want to pass a car, you might downshift to 3rd or 4th to get a strong acceleration. That gets the RPM above 4000 where you get the most power. I usually give gas at the same time as letting out the clutch, and (usually) they intersect into a smooth shift.

OP
OP
JuRuKi

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
ill confirm exactly when the noises happen on my way home but from what i remember they happen right after i shift and im releasing the clutch.
I will also try all the downshifting methods you guys mentioned :)
Rev-matching seems like it will be hard to time but im excited to try it!

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
its muscle memory, just keep driving and it will become second nature

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
In the process of learning to rev match the downshifts myself. No where near getting it but every once in a while ill get one perfect and its super smooth transition. No jolts.
Sponsored