Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Autocross is not very popular in Europe that's for sure. My local car club will try to organise an event next week or so and I want to try it out as it sound fun. However I prefer track days. And since you are in Spain plenty of amazing tracks to chose from Catalunya for example. Or you can do Portimao in Portugal as well. Lot's of events on both. And both in the F1 calendar this season.
How can you know what you prefer before you try? ;-)

Yes, there are some beautiful tracks here, and now that I've been at a few events it's become easier to find more. Trackdays are cool and I think I am improving, but I think autocross looks really cool too, probably costs a lot less regarding tire wear, but also other wear and tear due to the short duration I guess. And if only there were ample space, it would presumably be a lot safer than missing a turn at 100+ mph and crashing into wall.

But mainly, it just looks really awesome to be able to do all those manoeuvres. Want to try. :-)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Yeah that’s not a safe course. No way you can make any mistake without hitting something.

I wouldn’t run a daily driver at events like that either.
Ok, I'm glad it was not only my newbie self thinking that.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
How can you know what you prefer before you try? ;-)
I do some driving around cones from time to time and kind of like autocross events and I really prefer track driving. However totally different skill set's for this two.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I do some driving around cones from time to time and kind of like autocross events and I really prefer track driving. However totally different skill set's for this two.
Wellll they’re both good cross training and require a lot of the same skills, but ya there are differences. Track driving is rewarding for the seat time and improving on your personal beats. Autox all the cone courses are different, the seat time is a small fraction, but you’ve got the fun competition element.

I enjoy them both but gravitate to the (relatively) lower risks and competitive elements of autocross. That said, we did loose a car at a recent event.

PaddyPrix

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
07 335is, 08 LR2, 13 Tahoe, 18 Mustang GT x2
Vehicle Showcase
Do they not open up the famous Spain tracks to the public? Catalunya, Jarama, and Jerez? Auto X is generally 60-90 seconds of driving, maybe you get 5 tries. Track is usually 20-30 minute sessions where you might get 3-5. Assuming you might have to drive a little longer, still a better benefit, no?

Looking at that video though, eeesh, I'd skip that, and I'm pretty confident in my driving. Might as well start up a business and do rally driving through some forest or farmer's field between seasons :D I did something like that growing up, although we didn't really ask permission.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Wellll they’re both good cross training and require a lot of the same skills, but ya there are differences. Track driving is rewarding for the seat time and improving on your personal beats. Autox all the cone courses are different, the seat time is a small fraction, but you’ve got the fun competition element.

I enjoy them both but gravitate to the (relatively) lower risks and competitive elements of autocross. That said, we did loose a car at a recent event.
How did that loss happen?

OP
OP
Michael_vroomvroom

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Do they not open up the famous Spain tracks to the public? Catalunya, Jarama, and Jerez? Auto X is generally 60-90 seconds of driving, maybe you get 5 tries. Track is usually 20-30 minute sessions where you might get 3-5. Assuming you might have to drive a little longer, still a better benefit, no?
Well, like they say, they're different things?

Actually all the trackdays I've been to here so far (5 or 6 I think, I only started tracking a year ago) have been "open pit lane" all day. I drive as much as I want for about 6 hours, though my own mental limitations usually make it roughly 20 minutes per session. I usually feel a bit out of place as most of the other cars there are dedicated track cars coming on/in trailers with their own mechanics, fuel tanks, extra tires, kitchen, etc., while I'm just rolling up by myself in my Mustang. ;-)

From last Sunday. Can see a bit of my Mustang on the left in the picture:

20210410_102039.jpg

I really want to try autocross though. I may be wrong of course, but I think it looks a lot more fun.

Looking at that video though, eeesh, I'd skip that, and I'm pretty confident in my driving. Might as well start up a business and do rally driving through some forest or farmer's field between seasons :D I did something like that growing up, although we didn't really ask permission.
Any opinion on the skill level of the drivers? Especially the BMW driver looks pretty good to me, but as said, never been to an event like this.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
How did that loss happen?
Can't speak for the event that Nightmaremoon is referring to, but I have seen two incidents in autocross over the years where cars got damaged. Both were single car incidents. Both were where an utter lack of car control skill and trying to be a drift hero caused the issue. If you're not a total idiot, it is extraordinarily difficult to damage your vehicle in autocross. If you get out of shape, hit the brakes and clutch and get it under control. If you make a mistake, you lost the time, and you'll never get it back.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP

They both have plus and minuses. Autocross is a competition, can often be done every week within a reasonable driving distance, is cheaper, and safer. But you don't get much track time, it is relatively low speed, and you have to stand in the sun for an hour plus working the course.

Tracks days can be at world famous tracks, are at high speed, don't require you to work the course, and are often competitive with autocross on a track time per dollar basis. But typically require some travel, are fewer and farther between events, and are somewhat more risky.

You could argue that the big,
powerful Mustang is better suited to a big track than a tight autocross course. It can be a little embarising to get beat by 116hp Miatas.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
They both have plus and minuses. Autocross is a competition, can often be done every week within a reasonable driving distance, is cheaper, and safer. But you don't get much track time, it is relatively low speed, and you have to stand in the sun for an hour plus working the course.

Tracks days can be at world famous tracks, are at high speed, don't require you to work the course, and are often competitive with autocross on a track time per dollar basis. But typically require some travel, are fewer and farther between events, and are somewhat more risky.

powerful Mustang is better suited to a big track than a tight autocross course. It can be a little embarising to get beat by 116hp Miatas.
Which is why I LOVE tracksprint/trackcross events. Best of both combined.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Well I'm not getting beat by very many 116hp Miatas (just that Whitener alien), IDK what you guys are doing wrong. :p

Also if you're standing out in the sun, I recommend getting to know your local club officers and getting a better work assignment. Most clubs need experienced people to work the trailer, setup in the morning, or (my favorite) help with novice instruction. Course workers are unskilled labor.

It doesn't really compare to driving an F1 circuit like CotA in anger, but it costs <10% what CotA costs to run, so IDK - apples to oranges.

Anyone trying the new SCCA TT thing this year?

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I was considering it, but for some reason they want to keep the rules secret.

Plus not happy with how they threw out the heritage TT rules without a discussion with the existing competitors.

BlueHPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HPP/HP 6MT, 03 Boxster S, 97 M3
The beauty of a good autocross course is the ability to go 10/10ths with little fear of any more damage than a cone mark on your car. The fun of track days is more speed and seat time. I still like autocross more., more twisting, more violent car movements. But we have a old air base for a course site so we get some big courses, over 70 mph.
Sponsored