Sponsored

First autocross

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
Would love to get y'alls thoughts and feedback. Just did my first autocross, and first performance driving of any kind, for that matter. In novice class with about 20 other drivers. 5 runs. First two went DNF from missed cones, so pretty much a write-off, but was really pleased with how much I improved over the next 3 runs. Best time was a 56.05, so not sure how respectable that is for a total newbie. Finished 16 out of 20 in the novice class for the day though, so nothing to crow about. Some thoughts I had were I maybe should've used the paddles and just stayed in 2nd the whole time rather than let the 10R80 handle everything in Sport+ mode. The auto seemed to lag a bit getting back on the throttle out of a corner. The other thing I need to work on is braking a little sooner before a corner rather than in it as much. Even given the sucky overall scoring, it was a total blast, I seemed to push the car pretty hard by the end of the day, met a lot of cool and helpful folks, and thought SCCA put on a great event. I'll definitely be doing more of this.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Would love to get y'alls thoughts and feedback. Just did my first autocross, and first performance driving of any kind, for that matter. In novice class with about 20 other drivers. 5 runs. First two went DNF from missed cones, so pretty much a write-off, but was really pleased with how much I improved over the next 3 runs. Best time was a 56.05, so not sure how respectable that is for a total newbie. Finished 16 out of 20 in the novice class for the day though, so nothing to crow about. Some thoughts I had were I maybe should've used the paddles and just stayed in 2nd the whole time rather than let the 10R80 handle everything in Sport+ mode. The auto seemed to lag a bit getting back on the throttle out of a corner. The other thing I need to work on is braking a little sooner before a corner rather than in it as much. Even given the sucky overall scoring, it was a total blast, I seemed to push the car pretty hard by the end of the day, met a lot of cool and helpful folks, and thought SCCA put on a great event. I'll definitely be doing more of this.

Thoughts?
Put it in track mode next time and turn advance Trac off. Congrats on your first time out. It's quite an addicting sport. Have fun

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Thoughts?
It is hard to give you thoughts on what you wrote - all courses is different, no one has a clue how good your time was. Important thing is to have fun and not get discouraged easily.
My advice - ride with top drivers on your events - that's how you learn (or I did) the most and it will redefine what "pushing the car hard" means for you.

OP
OP

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, Orange Fury, PP1, 10AT, Magneride, Active Exhaust, Safe/Smart, 401A, GT350 Black Spoiler
It is hard to give you thoughts on what you wrote - all courses is different, no one has a clue how good your time was. Important thing is to have fun and not get discouraged easily.
My advice - ride with top drivers on your events - that's how you learn (or I did) the most and it will redefine what "pushing the car hard" means for you.
Being a newbie, I thought the course length was pretty standardized, that's why I mentioned my time. I won't get discouraged and am eager for the next one. Main thing at this point is to avoid the DNFs by getting a better understanding of the course layout.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI regarding the 10R80 in a GTPP1 for autocross:

1) Absolutely use manual (paddle) shifting vs S automatic mode. As you noticed at autocross speeds the transmission upshifts and then needs to downshift (with short but seems like for ever lag).

2) Plan your shift locations such that the steering wheel will be close to straight otherwise you won't be able to reliably reach the correct paddle.

3) Be careful with paddle shifting because if you "hold" the paddle for more than a second the trans will revert to full automatic.

4) If you try a manual downshift at too high a speed the shift won't work and you have to try again after slowing a little more.

5) Be sure to upshift BEFORE the engine hits the rev limiter. Otherwise the shift becomes VERY slow compared to a normal full throttle manual shift. Short shifting at an ideal location is much better usually than hitting the limiter. The ratios are so close and the engine is so powerful that being in 3rd is typically better than on the limiter in 2nd.

6) Top speed in 2nd (low 50's) is far too slow for most autocross courses so assume 3rd gear (mid 70's) for most of most courses. You are likely to find that even in 3rd gear there will be very few places you can use full throttle until the revs are high enough in 3rd that there would be no value in 2nd gear.

7) Many autocross courses have a tight or even moderate turn shortly after the start. For those courses or when traction is poor I start in 2nd. If you do this make the upshift to 2nd while staged at the actual start because the trans will tend to downshift back to first at very slow speed.

8) Finally, as said Track mode with Advance Trac fully off. Start engine and AFTER the instrument panel is "fully booted" select Track mode. Then hold the TC/Advance Trac toggle for about 8 seconds to turn off Advance Trac.

Have FUN! My first ever autocross was in a brand new 69 Mustang 351.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Being a newbie, I thought the course length was pretty standardized, that's why I mentioned my time. I won't get discouraged and am eager for the next one. Main thing at this point is to avoid the DNFs by getting a better understanding of the course layout.
What I try to do, probably not correct but works for me. Look at the top guys at your event/ region. See what they run. Each event your goal should be to close that gap.

For instance when I first started I was about 11 to 12 secs behind the top guys each event. Eventually I wittled that down to 9 secs at my last event. All courses are similar in length, only the design of the course changes so for me I can tell if my skills are improving that way. Mind you I have only run the car stock so that 2 to 3 sec improvement is me getting better. On a stock car, on a course where the top person runs 37 secs, 2 to 3 seconds is huge.

Hopefully that trick will help you event to event.

Also I'm still learning as well. I find that track mode really does a great job, even in shifting so I leave it in full auto mode. Once I learn my car more I may start to learn the paddles but for now the car in track mode seems to do a great job for me. I do not notice hesitation, delays or lag due to sloppy or slow shifting.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think as you get more experience you will find that consistent "engine braking" when off throttle and consistent power delivery when on throttle from being in a selected gear (typically 3rd with the 10 speed) will become very important vs the transmission being in a different gear at different times and especially when applying significant throttle while still turning.

OP
OP

JimInTexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great info, everyone...thanks! I definitely feel like I have a game plan for the next event in July. I’ll try the paddle strategy for a run or two and also see how it goes in Track auto with the nannies turned off. Hopefully I won’t miss any gates this time.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FYI for anyone who has the 10 speed and hasn't used the paddles much on the street or in autocross, etc. Before trying to use them in an autocross practice learning the location and "feel" of the paddles on the street. I had one very experienced codriver who couldn't get the paddles to work properly at first so we went for a drive on the street so I could see what he was doing. The problem was he put his fingers at the hinge area of the paddle instead of at the end so the paddle wouldn't move. Another issue with the paddles in the "hectic steering" of an autocross, whether you intentionally use them to shift or not, is accidentally initiating a shift when you move your hands on the wheel. Work on hand placement to avoid that. Finally, as noted previously, don't "Hold" the paddle after a shift. Just pull and release.
Sponsored