Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R
0557E32E-97B7-4BEB-ADA8-B27EDA777ABC.jpeg
You too...I’ll post Fords diagnosis once they confirm (with pic of the invoice for you bud)
QUOTE="stanglife, post: 2522332, member: 9260"]Scott thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room but he’s precisely wrong here.

It’s the evaporator or some component that has caused a leak - mine did this exact thing....and this is the symptom many people report. I’m guessing at this part but I think only half of it is able to get cold..which is the half that is divided for the dual-zone climate control...resulting in the half-cold symptom you describe.[/QUOTE]

As I said.
“IF” one side is “COLD” and the other is “HOT / WARM” it is NOT necessarily the evaporator.
I’m not there to measure each sides temperature.

Example:
If the driver side is 80° and and the passenger side is 75° sure it could be an evaporator or low charge, bad compressor etc. The evaporator is on the right side, so it’s natural for that side to be slightly cooler.

“IF” both side are “HOT / WARM” it can be a evaporator, module, low Freon, compressor, clutch, pressure switch, electrical etc.

Just because it’s blowing warm doesn’t mean it’s the evaporator or the same problem as it was before.

All I’m telling you is that if one side is “COLD” and the other is “HOT / WARM” it’s a blend door actuator.
Each side (driver and passenger) have its own blend door actuator for temp control.

Jeff.
I didn’t say I was right.
I’m simply explaining that the evaporator is not in control of each side individually. The blend door is what controls each side individually.
I also clearly stated that if one side is hot the other cold it’s an actuator or other issues not the evaporator.
If both sides are hot / warm within a few degrees of each other then yes “possibly a evaporator or Low Freon charge etc.

Blend door actuators are a very common problem.

Last edited:

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I've had the evaporator replaced TWICE since the original failed. The first replacement was part S. The one now is part W. The dealer has done a good job removing the dash and instrument panel for the installation. No squeaks coming from the dash and the electronics are working fine. Crossing my fingers....
My 17 R had evap and compressor replaced at 1700 miles last summer. No issues with dash. Just a data point.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Yes, if one side is cold and one side is hot, i don't see how this could be evap related; would be a fault of the actuator/door assembly in a dual climate controlled vehicle.

Not disputing what they replace but that's not really a good indicator. Most likely the act of taking apart the dash and putting it all back together fixes the actuator door problem for some amount of time and has nothing to do with the part they installed. which also explains why the problem resurfaces...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not disputing what they replace but that's not really a good indicator.
Yes, its not that uncommon for a dealer to accidentally or intentionally misdiagnose. Getting paid for two repairs is better for the bottom line than getting paid for just one. Its why manufacturers keep a close eye on dealers (some more than others).

Over the years, I've had a dealer bill GM for adjusting fenders, bumper, hood, etc. to fix a dash rattle that only happens when the AC fan was running. Another dealer wanted to replace my engine under warranty because they found water in the oil pan when they removed it. Trouble is, the car was brought in for a tail light problem. Had it towed to another dealer. Engine was fine. First dealer was later indicted for similar shenanigans.

Sponsored

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
Yes, if one side is cold and one side is hot, i don't see how this could be evap related; would be a fault of the actuator/door assembly in a dual climate controlled vehicle.

Not disputing what they replace but that's not really a good indicator. Most likely the act of taking apart the dash and putting it all back together fixes the actuator door problem for some amount of time and has nothing to do with the part they installed. which also explains why the problem resurfaces...
My passenger side was warm, driver side was blistering like heat 100% up. No cold anywhere for me

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
If you’re getting cold air on one side and warm on the other it’s is NOT the evaporator. It’s a blend Door actuator.
To replace an actuator the dash does not need to be removed. Whoever told you that if one side is colder than the other that the evaporator is bad is a dumbass.
You did actually say that, definitively...and in caps.

The symptom of different temperatures per zone has been the leading symptom when the evaporator has failed. I haven’t seen anyone report any blend door/mixer as part of the fix. I have the repair order on mine and it was not on there. Scott - based on your diagram, I feel even stronger that only part of the evaporator is getting chilled...and to what degree likely depends on the amount of charge in the system.

For this car - different temperatures from the zones has commonly been an indication of a loss of refrigerant in the system...and that has commonly been the evaporator.

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
So as the OP - if anyone is interested, I'll sum it up... I repeat - my symptoms were what Scott describes as NOT an evaporator and DEFINEITLY a blend door...but that is usually incorrect in the case of these cars. Everyone you talk to will tell you that the work order was for the evaporator and then some but not the blend door/mixer/whatever. You can believe it's some conspiracy or you can take it for what it's worth and realize that Ford is having problems with some of their AC parts (and has been updating the versions of them) and that this sometimes causes an uneven temperature output from each side of the dual zone climate control.

I did just remember how much I enjoy the block feature of this site. The problem is, I've blocked this guy at least twice and he just comes back as a different username. Blocked again, thank god.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
So after two summers of malfunctioning ac and replacing the compressor and evaporator it turned out to be the damn pressure switch....a 10 minute repair.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
had my compressor, pressure switch and other items replaced a couple weeks ago after the compressor started moaning and only blowing hot air. 2 weeks in and its been rock solid.

Sponsored
OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Just adding the compressor, dryer, evap and some R&R labor - Easily 1500-2000

OP
OP
stanglife

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It’s been good ever since.

CNFLCTD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350
Well sorry to burst your bubble. But I am a mechanic. And if one side blows hot and the other cold it’s NOT the evaporator. If both sides blow warm / hot then yes it’s most likely the evaporator. I’m done talking about it. You already have a chip on your shoulder.
Good for your brother. Have a good one
Hey bud. Just thought I’d provide the diagnosis from Ford (took my baby in today). Evaporator Core....like I said. Have a nice night.
Sponsored