First post! Looking for a subwoofer solution

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
We just purchased an Atlas Blue 2022 GT/CS convertible that appears to have every option except the B&O stereo :curse:

I'm looking for more bass. particularly when the top is down.

I read all the threads and it seems that no one is offering a simple solution other than the big box slid to the front of the trunk. I saw the handmade enclosure and loved it but I'm not sure I want to tackle building one, especially using wet resin inside the trunk.

What is everyone else doing?
If the coupe seats are the same as the vert, I'll sell you some really nice subs built into the back seats. Here is the only photo of them I have, in my build thread (Which has not been updated in ages LOL)

1679063096507.png

If you are interested, I can pull one apart tonight and determine what kind of sub is in there/send photos. I will tell you, the stereo set up was winning competitions for the previous owner.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bassackwards

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
If the coupe seats are the same as the vert, I'll sell you some really nice subs built into the back seats. Here is the only photo of them I have, in my build thread (Which has not been updated in ages LOL)

1679063096507.png

If you are interested, I can pull one apart tonight and determine what kind of sub is in there/send photos. I will tell you, the stereo set up was winning competitions for the previous owner.

I don't think they are the same

Jackismydog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Francois
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 Convertible

1679063096507.png

This won't fit as the vert have a molded storage cavity for the top directly behind the rear seats.

OP
OP
Bassackwards

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
On my way to building a custom fiberglass box!

D78A8E95-F220-4D96-A8A3-563D8148A588.jpeg

4F45DE59-F9FC-42EC-9888-89361AE28FC2.jpeg

I cheated a little and purchased the right side trunk liner out of a wreck for $20 and chopped it up. It fits pretty snuggly inside of my other one.

Already purchased a Rockford Fosgate Punch 2 12" sub and an Alpine 500 watt amp to drive it!

Mossberg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP, 2002 Mustang GT
I may end up doing something similar as I'm not happy with the lack of solutions for us vert owners. I'm interested in seeing how your build goes.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bassackwards

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
Got it all up and running and I am happy! Thanks to all who blazed the trail and shared their knowledge and experience.

This is not difficult if you are mechanically inclined.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Any 6.5 will do including coaxials. But, the rear package tray panel chokes off the sound. You can punch the vent holes out of the carpet like I did and it’ll allow more sound into the cabin but the speakers are set up in an infinite-baffle so you won’t get very good response from them no matter that woofer you use.

72CBA5C4-B397-48A9-A715-F5C92B4D2EF3.jpeg
They make foam speaker "protecters" that work ok for closing off the area behind the speaker.
I used the 6x9 foam on my other car with 6.5" in the deck , made a difference .
I think with the mustang I'm going to make a fiberglass case to cover both speakers and cross the whole deck bottom, and have a divider in the center, and add ports to the deck for each side.
I'll build it out of poster board first then, fiberglass out of the car, I'll seal it to the deck bottom with weather stripping , and bolt it to the deck. I'll most likely use nut-certs in the deck metal.
Door will get the 8" foam backer if it'll fit, if not, have to glue one together.
Half the problem with car audio is the speakers are in a big open space and not a cabinet.
As for the grills, or carpet, Some sables with the optional radio's had nice screen type grills with the ford logo on them, I am on the hunt for something like that , that I can make look oem. I'm sure many linc.'s also have different ones that can fit the bill. Or maybe a aftermarket speaker grill with a ford hat pin, glued to it I just need to get to do a junkyard crawl now that it s spring.
I did this With a few of my other vehicles and it works well, and looks like the factory did it.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bassackwards

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
So what did you do to mold the fiberglass?

I purchased a rt side trunk carpet section out of a wreck and cut it to fit inside my original one. Then I made a cardboard template for the front that I used to cut the plywood. I put 3 deck screws upwards through the carpet into the plywood then used piece of scrap to hold the top in position. I just started glassing the around the edges and after it was stiff enough I pulled the top brace and glassed that area.

After several coats of resin inside and out the carpet is as strong as any other enclosure.

OP
OP
Bassackwards

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
9A18DC01-B54F-41B1-AD6A-C401047BD091.jpeg

2BCFE85F-9D76-47E2-A1B1-B8271676340E.jpeg

This way I was able to do all the fiberglass work on a bench and none in the trunk. I didn't want to risk ruining a brand new car.

It is very tight inside that cavity.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
They make foam speaker "protecters" that work ok for closing off the area behind the speaker.
I used the 6x9 foam on my other car with 6.5" in the deck , made a difference .
I think with the mustang I'm going to make a fiberglass case to cover both speakers and cross the whole deck bottom, and have a divider in the center, and add ports to the deck for each side.
I'll build it out of poster board first then, fiberglass out of the car, I'll seal it to the deck bottom with weather stripping , and bolt it to the deck. I'll most likely use nut-certs in the deck metal.
Door will get the 8" foam backer if it'll fit, if not, have to glue one together.
Half the problem with car audio is the speakers are in a big open space and not a cabinet.
As for the grills, or carpet, Some sables with the optional radio's had nice screen type grills with the ford logo on them, I am on the hunt for something like that , that I can make look oem. I'm sure many linc.'s also have different ones that can fit the bill. Or maybe a aftermarket speaker grill with a ford hat pin, glued to it I just need to get to do a junkyard crawl now that it s spring.
I did this With a few of my other vehicles and it works well, and looks like the factory did it.
Those foam cups choke off the low and midrange response. You might need to play around with the sizing if you box them in. I was conversing with another GT500 owner who did something similar but the frequency response was pretty bad and a speaker box for the rears protrudes down into the trunk space eating up a lot of the usable area.

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
Great idea using an extra oem trunk liner as the box back.
Sponsored