First Front End Alignment

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
The effort today was focused on removing the 3 set screws from the HP adjustable camber plates and adding about -1 degree of camber.

After leveling the car with floor tiles and fitting my hub stands on the front, I measured -1.3 degree of camber and 1/4” total toe in. I marked the factory setting on the strut tower.

Then it was on to remove the 3 set screws from each side. Disconnect the upper sway bar link and the lower control arm (LCA) position sensor. Drop the strut enough to move it around to access the 5/32 Allen screws, get the strut top back in the tower, add some negative camber, re- attach the sway bar and LCA sensor.

Ended up at about -2.4 degree camber and that changed the total toe to 0”. I’ll see how that does on our first track day.
04368EE1-390E-4D81-B824-07E6511D475D.jpeg

3370DB66-5028-4E99-B9C8-5027C3B97816.jpeg
Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Super helpful, thanks for posting! The set screws that need removal do you unscrew those from the top of the camber plate (once you've lowered the strut) or can you reach those from underneath (the bottom side)?

OP
OP
Knockdown

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Super helpful, thanks for posting! The set screws that need removal do you unscrew those from the top of the camber plate (once you've lowered the strut) or can you reach those from underneath (the bottom side)?
You lower the strut just far enough so that you can move the strut top around to where you can unscrew the set screws from the top either from the larger center hole or from one of the stud holes. Once unscrewed you can reach up from the wheel well to remove the set screw. Be careful you don’t drop the strut too far or you can stress some wired connections and brake line.

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Very helpful, both instructions and video. In the owner's manual they show the strut tower top with three arrows pointing to set screws that need to be removed, which of course are not evident looking at the strut tower top. Now I have a project for this weekend! Thank you.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I had mine slightly adjusted but not sure if there was enough to notice. Maybe someone came chime in. The top one is the factory settings. Thanks!

IMG_4254.jpg

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Knockdown, where did you get the hub stands? They look similar to what the IMSA teams use as well as a lot of other race teams.

OP
OP
Knockdown

Knockdown

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
A couple of years ago, CSM Performance LLC offered these stands with a laser thrust angle fixture for under $2K, 1000lb limit, worked nice for my Porsches. They no longer offer this model and their new models are quite a bit more expensive. I was a bit cautious using these on the front of the Mach 1.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I had mine slightly adjusted but not sure if there was enough to notice. Maybe someone came chime in. The top one is the factory settings. Thanks!

IMG_4254.jpg
Bottom ones are slightly better but only slightly - they could do a better job on the toe. Wouldn't pay for that. Rear out of factory was out of whack.

Sponsored

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Just did the adjustable camber plate release yesterday. Super easy, the video version above is way overkill, just loosen the two wires in the strut housing, undo both upper and lower sway bar links on both sides (couldn't manage with just an upper or lower), under the headlight or height sensors on both sides(tiny like 8mm nut) and lower the strut, find the 3 allen screws through top strut holes (you pick), reassemble and you're all set.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
Bottom ones are slightly better but only slightly - they could do a better job on the toe. Wouldn't pay for that. Rear out of factory was out of whack.
I had this done prior to the purchase agreement si it didn't cost a dime.
Sponsored