Sponsored

Financial decision having regrets now

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Weird. Sounds like cats fighting, a screaming crowd, a horror house, etc.

The guy recording "secretly" was more entertaining.
I think I lost time I can’t get back watching an unsecret EV scammed by a guy emulating secrecy, where the conclusion of the video remains a secret.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I had to LOL when someone here commented that electric motors last a long time. An electric motor is like anything else - it will last as long as it's designed to last. It might take a few years for the automobile companies to get the formula right, but no way is Ford or any other company going to build a million mile electric motor if they can save 10 cents building a 200,000 mile motor, or 11 cents building a 100,000 mile motor.

Electric motors are like anything else. They are built to a price point. The cheaper they are to build the more money a car company makes. So they will be built as cheaply as possible.

Don't doubt me.

IDK, but what happens when it's raining/snowing outside, and you have to plug in or unplug? Is there a risk of electrocution? Just wondering.
Yes.

Corporations, economics and profit seeking will always drive lower costs. The simplicity of EV’s I believe will drive simplified repair processes.
Just like car repair is simple now, right? The same engineers who designed cars where the entire front end has to be removed to swap the alternator will make electric cars super simple to repair? Not sure I'm buying that particular idea.

Cheap oil's affect on our civilization was much like the effect of meth on an individual. We sure got a lot of stuff done quickly. But burnout is inevitable. The price of oil will go up, sure. But eventually you hit a point where it takes more energy to extract it then the barrel provides in return. Once we get to that point, if we haven't transitioned to renewable energy, we are screwed. Electric isn't necessarily inevitable (unless mineral costs go down due to tech increases), but it does fill a need given how much more efficiently it converts input to output (kinetic energy). It's tempting to think we're clever enough to find another cheat code, but thermodynamics is a bitch. You have to bow down to it eventually. EROI (energy return on investment) will always be king and the most important factor.

I'll save waxing poetic about how a system built on infinite growth is unsustainable in a finite system.
In a few hundred years when current sources of oil run out.. just remember that every year since oil was first discovered in the 1800s the reserves that we know how to tap into have gotten larger. In the 1800s we thought there was 80 years' worth of oil remaining. Now it's something like 300 or so years worth.

Once oil gets too expensive, then ethanol, methanol, etc. will make more sense.

Well actually they already have that figured out. Could work with gas pumps as well.

1624049151187.png

1624049187094.png
That solar panel produces a miniscule amount of electricity compared to what an electric car needs to run. WIshful thinking.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
But my solar panels on my house, which reduce the load on the grid, are still working to charge the backup battery pack in my garage, so I can still charge my car. Oh and while the grid is down I still have power at my house too.
Unless you live in the Northeast, and your solar panels are covered by a foot of snow. :crackup:
This past winter, I laughed at all the houses with solar panels in my neighborhood, that were covered by snow for weeks.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Unless you live in the Northeast, and your solar panels are covered by a foot of snow. :crackup:
This past winter, I laughed at all the houses with solar panels in my neighborhood, that were covered by snow for weeks.
In many areas of the country, solar panels will never pay for themselves in saved electricity. People buy them because they want to help the solar industry - i.e. they believe in the cause. Or else they are virtue signaling.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
So..... Tesla has a pretty good launch. My brother In law said it takes 48 hours to fully charge it at home but charging stations takes about 25 minutes to charge fully. Here's a video of us going up to 80+ which was pretty
nice.

5A040F41-0348-48DC-9180-5A53E9D23996.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
So..... Tesla has a pretty good launch. My brother In law said it takes 48 hours to fully charge it at home but charging stations takes about 25 minutes to charge fully. Here's a video of us going up to 80+ which was pretty
nice.

View attachment 588404
Interesting…
Fully charged in 25 minutes from what, 50%, 10%?

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
He said he had 40 miles left before charging it fully.
That’s impressive.
Doing a cross country trip and stopping every 500 miles or so for a half an hour wouldn’t be bad at all. The lines waiting for a charging station would be.

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
That’s impressive.
Doing a cross country trip and stopping every 500 miles or so for a half an hour wouldn’t be bad at all. The lines waiting for a charging station would be.
Yeah, waiting for other people at the charging stations would be the only problem once every Joe and Maggie gets one. Fully charged it's 350miles.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think your brother has a different idea of 100% charged than Tesla.

From a quick google.

How long does it take to charge a Tesla using a Supercharging station? Superchargers can recharge a vehicle's battery up to 80% in just about 40 minutes. After the battery reaches 80%, it will begin to charge slower to protect the battery's health until it reaches a full charge.May 18, 2021

Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
I think your brother has a different idea of 100% charged than Tesla.

From a quick google.

How long does it take to charge a Tesla using a Supercharging station? Superchargers can recharge a vehicle's battery up to 80% in just about 40 minutes. After the battery reaches 80%, it will begin to charge slower to protect the battery's health until it reaches a full charge.May 18, 2021
I'm not sure, that's what he told me.

He charged it to 273miles from 40 miles left. So 233 miles charged in 25 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes tops.

and yes :) it wasn't fully charged. He said he didn't wanna wait for the full 350mile charge.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
So..... Tesla has a pretty good launch. My brother In law said it takes 48 hours to fully charge it at home [...]
Holy hell, he needs to get a 50a circuit installed, install a 40a charger, that's ~37/miles an hour on an M3LR/P, per a previous example of a very common commute distance, that's a couple of hours when you get home to "top it off".

Looks like he has a non-Performance model (from the pic of the car in the charge screen - the car avatar is exactly your car color/model).

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Holy hell, he needs to get a 50a circuit installed, install a 40a charger, that's ~37/miles an hour on an M3LR/P, per a previous example of a very common commute distance, that's a couple of hours when you get home to "top it off".

Looks like he has a non-Performance model (from the pic of the car in the charge screen - the car avatar is exactly your car color/model).
Yep, it's the base model 👍🏻👍🏻

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The more I read about EVs, the more turned off of the Lightning I become. I was going to use it for my personal biz as a tactical doc, as the frunk and the ability to power all my tools would be nice, but I may just wait on the Raptor R and get the upgraded power box.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I sold my 2020 5.0 GT and my 2018 screw F150 for a decent profit and purchased a 2021 MACH E . I have never owned an all electric vehicle and I am unsure if it will hold it's value. when the explorer sport came out I bought one and lost my ass on it. so far i've had the MME for 2 days and it is fantastic for in town day to day dutys. but there is that feeling in my gut that says man did I F#$% up?
Ouch. Those things are hideous.
Sponsored