Fight the EPA - Please Help

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
It's a step in the right direction. No thanks.

If you have ever been to Shanghai you would understand why.

Take a look,
[ame]
Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Here's an interesting bit from a MotorTrend article that counters what the EPA spokeswoman said in that article and how Car and Driver summarized it.

"Indeed, notes from the committee which drafted the Clean Air Act in 1970, uncovered by a lawyer commissioned by the 24 Hours of LeMons racing series, prove the authors had no intention of regulating racecars of any type. The notes contain an exchange between committee members Representative William Nichols (D-Alabama) and Representative Harley Staggers Sr. (D-West Virginia), which reads:

“Mr. Nichols: I would ask the distinguished chairman if I am correct in stating that the terms “vehicle” and “vehicle engine” as used in the act do not include vehicles or vehicle engines manufactured for, modified for, or utilized in organized motor racing events which, of course, are held very infrequently but which utilize all types of vehicles and vehicle engines?

“Mr. Staggers: In response to the gentleman from Alabama, I would say to the gentleman they would not come under the provisions of this act, because the act deals only with automobiles used on our roads in everyday use. The act would not cover the types of racing vehicles to which the gentleman referred, and present law does not cover them either.”

This has been the understanding for nearly five decades, however the EPA appears to have now changed its interpretation of the law. The EPA says the proposed changes are only meant to “clarify” the rules, but the proposed clarifications make it explicitly clear that street vehicles which have been modified for racing are not exempt from emissions laws. This means any racecar which started life as a street car would be required to run all the factory emissions equipment. The EPA is not shy about this new distinction:"

- http://www.motortrend.com/news/epas-real-target-the-automotive-aftermarket/

While I haven't read all of the nearly 700 page juggernaut I'm concerned about the aftermarket companies and forums full of individuals like us who purchase from them. The proposal sounded clear:

"Certified motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines and their emission control devices must remain in their certified configuration even if they are used solely for competition or if they become non-road vehicles or engines."

I couldn't find an exception for modifications that didn't effect emissions adversely.

My stance is I don't think the EPA should care so long as a vehicle being used on the street meets emission standards (has an inspection sticker). If its not used on the street, the EPA's already stated that it doesn't care. This proposal seems to change that. Clarifying and changing aren't the same thing.

Sponsored

sm32589g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP DIB
Signed.
and reason was: Freedom.

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Signed.
Fight for our freedoms, say no to big government!

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
I misunderstood and thought this law was basically trying to ban ALL performance modifications of factory cars. But it seems the only restriction is that the car still has to meet emissions regulations after your modifications?

Eh, that's pretty much fine with me. May be slightly disappointing, but I can certainly live with it and understand some benefit.

But went ahead and signed both petitions, anyways.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They probably didn't care because they know autonomous and electric cars are going to kill off the sports car before long, anyways, heh.

Sponsored

redneck ron

Dummy up Meathead!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 401A/Race Red

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
The white house website shows the petition as "closed".

These types of things are what happens when we allow the government to work without accountability.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang GT on 26's
I honestly think that supercars, like Ferraris, Lamborghinis, the top versions of the Corvette (specifically Z06 and ZR1) and Porsche 911 (GT-series, R, Turbo series), should be exempt from the Gas Guzzler tax.

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can anyone explain why this thread is still stickied now that it's goal has been accomplished...?
Sponsored