FFtec Examines the EcoBoost Clutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Hey David, any update on the lighter flywheel? Seems the engine was out a while back getting built. Would have been a good time to change the flywheel. ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP
David@FFtec

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo
Hey David, any update on the lighter flywheel? Seems the engine was out a while back getting built. Would have been a good time to change the flywheel. ;)
The flywheel has been delayed. The manufacturer quoted us over $700 per flywheel with an initial purchase of ten units, so we'll wait until demand comes up and price comes down. I'm sure you'll understand. :headbonk:
If you absolutely need one now we can work with you. The number of EcoBoost owners is growing rapidly so there's hope, but we're focusing on bringing out other mods for now.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
The flywheel has been delayed. The manufacturer quoted us over $700 per flywheel with an initial purchase of ten units, so we'll wait until demand comes up and price comes down. I'm sure you'll understand. :headbonk:
If you absolutely need one now we can work with you. The number of EcoBoost owners is growing rapidly so there's hope, but we're focusing on bringing out other mods for now.
No worries, makes total sense. Hoping my stock clutch and flywheel hold together for a good while. Just wondering if a solution was ready when I eventually need it.

Any timeframe on your other projects...? :D

Torsen

Scott Wilson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MEB 6MT
So did you have to machine the flywheel before the new clutch disk install?

My clutch already slips doing WOT in 5th at 2800 and 6th at anything below 4K.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo

First post says no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
So about that lightweight flywheel?

if its a seriously quality piece, i'll throw down $700 to get the ball rolling.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
dual mass should be replaced with each clutch from what I know of older cars. Dual mass is such a crap design for aftermarket/performance applications...

FFTEC, could the spacing work for some other applications flywheel with maybe different drill patterns for the hub, and do something like a sprung hub clutch to keep the noise down? Google BMW e34 lightweight flywheel / sprung hub clutch kits for the e36 chassis for examples.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Trying to verify because most clutches that go in need to have the flywheel machined and pressure plate to create a new grip surface.
Yes for a single mass flywheel.

On a dual mass it is a one time use typically. Since FFTEC has fairly low mileage you can get away with reusing it and using a scotch brite to clean up any glazing and scuff up the surface a bit.

I'm sure in the next year there will be single mass flywheels coming about.

Torsen

Scott Wilson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MEB 6MT
Yes for a single mass flywheel.

On a dual mass it is a one time use typically. Since FFTEC has fairly low mileage you can get away with reusing it and using a scotch brite to clean up any glazing and scuff up the surface a bit.

I'm sure in the next year there will be single mass flywheels coming about.
Is yalls stocker still holding?

Sponsored
OP
OP
David@FFtec

David@FFtec

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
1992 Eagle Talon, Porsche 944 Turbo

It's unusual to see slippage this early, the stock clutch is rated for over 400 TQ and has held over 450 TQ on a few test cars. If you've been burning it up with high rpm launches and extreme slipping you might've glazed it. Give us a call at the shop on Monday, we have upgraded discs in stock.

So about that lightweight flywheel?

if its a seriously quality piece, i'll throw down $700 to get the ball rolling.
Thanks for the offer, the ball is already rolling.

dual mass should be replaced with each clutch from what I know of older cars. Dual mass is such a crap design for aftermarket/performance applications...

FFTEC, could the spacing work for some other applications flywheel with maybe different drill patterns for the hub, and do something like a sprung hub clutch to keep the noise down? Google BMW e34 lightweight flywheel / sprung hub clutch kits for the e36 chassis for examples.
Right, a dual mass flywheel is very heavy for a performance car, it definitely kills responsiveness. I've done extensive research on existing clutches that have the same crank bolt pattern as this car, and almost everything is a downgrade. No worries tho, at current power levels a simple disc upgrade provides a nice increase in torque capacity while keeping costs down.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.