lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
So its becoming painfully obvious that its gonna happen. Not now or next week but next summer definitely. Whats gonna happen? I want more power. For now im gonna get me a downpipe and when someone makes a stock sounding exhaust then ill do that too.

I like the idea of 400ish hp, but more importantly a broad usable powerband. Numbers and bragging aside, it is my understanding that youll get the 400ish hp with the fftec kit with the stock internals and a tune. What about map? So far ive read that the kit will not make 500 straight from the box, that requires a built engine. So how much does it make?? Im guessing more or less the same.

Anyway whats important to me, a broad powerband. Which is the winner here? Ive seen the dyno charts and the fftec seems to peak torque earlier and spool faster, but like a lot of times, i coud be dead wrong. Ill be getting the ball bearing option in any of the cases cause they really do make a difference.
Thoughts? If it were your money?
Sponsored

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Hola mamasita. If you want 500hp at the crank, you do not need a built motor. If you want 500whp, both companies recommend a built motor. You can also use a smaller turbo that fits your max power goals so that you can have a torque curve that moves to the left as you've indicated you desire. A ball bearing turbo is a good choice.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
Either one will get you there. Personally I like something Adam mentioned before which is buying their kit with a 5558 Precision turbo to decrease spool time. I have not seen much from FFTEC regarding additional tuning support other than their OTS tune so that could help you decide too. You really can't go wrong either way with this one.

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Rather than listen to a bunch of biased people on a forum tell you what to buy you should just call both companies and talk to them about their product.

Edit: And just my biased opinion for fun... Just because someone talks the loudest doesn't mean they are the wisest. ;)

BigCatDan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
So its becoming painfully obvious that its gonna happen. Not now or next week but next summer definitely. Whats gonna happen? I want more power. For now im gonna get me a downpipe and when someone makes a stock sounding exhaust then ill do that too.

I like the idea of 400ish hp, but more importantly a broad usable powerband. Numbers and bragging aside, it is my understanding that youll get the 400ish hp with the fftec kit with the stock internals and a tune. What about map? So far ive read that the kit will not make 500 straight from the box, that requires a built engine. So how much does it make?? Im guessing more or less the same.

Anyway whats important to me, a broad powerband. Which is the winner here? Ive seen the dyno charts and the fftec seems to peak torque earlier and spool faster, but like a lot of times, i coud be dead wrong. Ill be getting the ball bearing option in any of the cases cause they really do make a difference.
Thoughts? If it were your money?

MAP and FFTEC are good. However, my opinion for fast spool and smoother earlier peaking curve; wait for Full-Race's twin scroll turbo in a few months.

Sponsored

~X~

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
MAP and FFTEC are good. However, my opinion for fast spool and smoother earlier peaking curve; wait for Full-Race's twin scroll turbo in a few months.
+1
Seeing what Full Race has done in the past and knowing they put in a lot of time with this EB engine in the prototype stages as well as others has me holding off until SEMA to see what they have to offer. Twin scroll is apparently the way to go with this motor so hopefully we'll see some good results.

greg hazlett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion Sport
If it were between those two companies I would go FFTEC due to the BW 71/63 Gamma turbo; if you ask people in the industry PTE turbo's do not have a good reputation and the BW do. I have talked to Anthony at FFTEC numerous times, agree with them not answering messages on the forum, best bet is to call them and speak to Anthony. I have approx 4 hours in talk time with him and not once did he push his product on me.

Ultimateone

Yes is that's guy /\
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F32 435i Xdrive
Adam is pretty much known as one of if not the best tuner for the Mustang Ecoboost platform, I would be working with him on whatever kit you choose.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Like dragonacc it would be best to call both companies.

I went FFTEC for a couple reasons, one big one was that the Borg Warner turbo is still coolant cooled where's as Precision turbos are air cooled.

Since the road course is my primary use for the car, cooling is very important.

And from what I could see initially the spool comes on a bit faster then on the precision units.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
It's going to be down to personal preference really as both are reputable companies with tons of experience. I plan on staying stock turbo until warranty is out and MAP offers a complete kit for that as well as a custom tune. Adam's quick responses to my questions sealed the deal for me. I am following both engine build threads with interest and I don't think you can go wrong with either. I like having everything from one source so I'll be sticking with MAP.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I like Borg Warner turbos. Precisions have a good record for power production, but they are not OEM quality turbos. Borgs are.

Mike

MAPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maperformance.com
First Name
Sales
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Base w/ Performance Package
We will be offering a Borg Warner option to our turbo kits in the near future, the reason we are using PTE is because we are a major distributor for them and we have been using their products on our kits since the beginning of MAPerformance.

We are also looking at offering GTX3076R option for our turbo kit as well to be able to cover all angles.

If someone wants our kit with a BW turbo, I will build it for them they just have to ask!

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
We will be offering a Borg Warner option to our turbo kits in the near future, the reason we are using PTE is because we are a major distributor for them and we have been using their products on our kits since the beginning of MAPerformance.

We are also looking at offering GTX3076R option for our turbo kit as well to be able to cover all angles.

If someone wants our kit with a BW turbo, I will build it for them they just have to ask!
When the hell do u sleep??

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0