Sponsored

Fender ding repair

Sfckelley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Shelby GT500 ,18 Ford Raptor, 20 Navigator L
Anybody had a ding on a front fender repaired? I dropped a 4x4 with a bolt in the end right on the passenger fender leaving a very noticeable ding and scratch. Went to a dent repair place and the technician told me he could not get a tool on it because the fenders were double walled. Trying to decide if I bite the bullet with a body shop or try to live with it. Although living with it probably isnā€™t an option.
17D7C0AD-5227-4734-8435-D132A27302E1.jpeg
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
A good body shop can repaint that fender and you will never notice difference in paint color. On my 16 had the rear fascia repainted under warranty because of shipping flaw and was worried about matching. When they were done and new stripes put on you could look at it in shade or direct sun light and it was a perfect color match.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
I highly doubt it is double walled. I work in a collision shop and have pulled tons of fenders off. I havenā€™t had one of these off but they are aluminum and that is harder to work out. Did he not want to take the fender line out? He should have plenty of access with that out. He might not have wanted to mess with it because it is aluminum. In the event you want a conventional repair since it is black you should be able to get it panel painted no problem. Black is typically the only color you can do that with, but there are some brown colors mixed in. I am not familiar with these blacks, if they have metallic in it, it would need blended if the damage is close to the hood or fender. Bumper, headlight, fender liner and fender vent would need removed. The rocker moulding would at least need loosened or if not fully removed and a new emblem.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That's body shop I'm afraid. I had a similar ding on another car once and was told no way. And this guy is the best PDR guy in my area.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Anybody had a ding on a front fender repaired? I dropped a 4x4 with a bolt in the end right on the passenger fender leaving a very noticeable ding and scratch. Went to a dent repair place and the technician told me he could not get a tool on it because the fenders were double walled. Trying to decide if I bite the bullet with a body shop or try to live with it. Although living with it probably isnā€™t an option.

I had a similar dent, i had it repaired by a PDR tech. It can be fixed.
20200222_142120.jpg
20200224_175848.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sfckelley

Sfckelley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Shelby GT500 ,18 Ford Raptor, 20 Navigator L
I had a similar dent, i had it repaired by a PDR tech. It can be fixed.
20200222_142120.jpg
20200224_175848.jpg
Was that repaired by glue pulling or pushing tools?

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
a good PDR guy can use the glue-on shaft then pop it right back up and not take the fender off. I had a very similar ding on the last 911 of mine and the guy got it right out, also they have aluminum fenders. Use a guy thats used to high-end cars with aluminum fenders. As said, aluminum scares away lots of people.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I have a couple of very shallow dents in my passenger fender. No idea where they came from. Perhaps they were there from factory. Anyway, the fender is definitely not double walled. I have not had them fixed yet because they are quite subtle. But as has been said a good aluminum PDR guy should be able to do it.

The rear quarters are double walled. So to get at a dent there that they would need to drill a hole in the wheel well.

cantdrive55

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R, 96 Viper GTS
Vehicle Showcase
I highly doubt it is double walled. I work in a collision shop and have pulled tons of fenders off. I havenā€™t had one of these off but they are aluminum and that is harder to work out. Did he not want to take the fender line out? He should have plenty of access with that out. He might not have wanted to mess with it because it is aluminum. In the event you want a conventional repair since it is black you should be able to get it panel painted no problem. Black is typically the only color you can do that with, but there are some brown colors mixed in. I am not familiar with these blacks, if they have metallic in it, it would need blended if the damage is close to the hood or fender. Bumper, headlight, fender liner and fender vent would need removed. The rocker moulding would at least need loosened or if not fully removed and a new emblem.
I saw a photo of a GT350 that went through a car wash which peeled the front pointy end of the front fender back like a banana. It looks like it is a thin aluminum skin over an aluminum base. Check out the photos - these were uploaded by an owner named Reggie in one of the facebook GT350 groups.
FB_IMG_1587483424987.jpg
FB_IMG_1587483429817.jpg

BVA254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6-Sold, 2021 GT Premium -on order
One of my cars is a Miata, aluminum hood- had a stereo speaker get knocked off a shelf by my wife's cat climbing around in the garage.Paintless dent repair fixed it for $150 and you could not even tell it happened.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
One of my cars is a Miata, aluminum hood- had a stereo speaker get knocked off a shelf by my wife's cat climbing around in the garage.Paintless dent repair fixed it for $150 and you could not even tell it happened.
I wouldnā€™t admit to owning a cat either ;-)

BVA254

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6-Sold, 2021 GT Premium -on order
I have a 110 lb German Shepherd also, unfortunately he follows around my wife's female 9 lb Schnoodle.

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I had a small dent on my 17s drivers side front fender repaired by a paint-less repair technician. Turned out great and didn't take him very long.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
I have a couple of very shallow dents in my passenger fender. No idea where they came from. Perhaps they were there from factory. Anyway, the fender is definitely not double walled. I have not had them fixed yet because they are quite subtle. But as has been said a good aluminum PDR guy should be able to do it.

The rear quarters are double walled. So to get at a dent there that they would need to drill a hole in the wheel well.
Ahhhh, nooooo, donā€™t drill any holes for PDR work. If there is no access and the spot canā€™t be glue pulled, just get it fixed the normal route.

milner_7

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.highdefinitionautodetail.ca
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Was that repaired by glue pulling or pushing tools?
It was repaired with pushing tools. You can get behind the fender from the top near the hood hinge. No access from the wheel well though.
Sponsored