Factory warranty

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
My dealer doesn't know jack so I'll ask you fine people. When does your factory warranty end, your build date or when you actually sign the paperwork? I special ordered mine from the dealer. I had to argue with the body shop mgr for about an hour telling him that the aluminum body panels were 5yrs and not the 3yrs he has been telling customers for a few years. Thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
angermgmt14

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
That's what I thought...but the body shop mgr. and a CS rep at Ford.com told me it is/was my ship from the Ford factory date. My build date was 9/14/15 and my warranty started 9/16/15. But it didn't arrive at my dealer until 9/29/15. So I guess you mean the "sold to dealer" date?

The reason I am asking this is, a month or so ago I asked the body shop mgr. if my hood corrosion could be looked at so I can get my hood replaced. At the time he told me it was under the 3yr/36k warranty. I told him it was under the 5yr/60k but he wouldn't send it in. So I researched around and got the info I needed to explain this to him and last Friday I finally got the okay. He then tells me I need to get it in by 9/14 for it to be covered. I'm on vacation this week and not around and with the holiday next week it was cutting it close. But I thought I had at least until my purchase date of 9/29. So just an FYI to those of you out there who think your warranty ends on your purchase date.:like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That's what I thought...but the body shop mgr. and a CS rep at Ford.com told me it is/was my ship from the Ford factory date. My build date was 9/14/15 and my warranty started 9/16/15. But it didn't arrive at my dealer until 9/29/15. So I guess you mean the "sold to dealer" date?

The reason I am asking this is, a month or so ago I asked the body shop mgr. if my hood corrosion could be looked at so I can get my hood replaced. At the time he told me it was under the 3yr/36k warranty. I told him it was under the 5yr/60k but he wouldn't send it in. So I researched around and got the info I needed to explain this to him and last Friday I finally got the okay. He then tells me I need to get it in by 9/14 for it to be covered. I'm on vacation this week and not around and with the holiday next week it was cutting it close. But I thought I had at least until my purchase date of 9/29. So just an FYI to those of you out there who think your warranty ends on your purchase date.:like:
Your dealer does not know what they are talking about. The manufacturer warranty starts on the day you take ownership of the vehicle. Think about it. What if you bought a new 19’ leftover built in November 2018. Does that mean you only have till November 2021?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Warranty is based on IN SERVICE date, which begins when the first owner registers it.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
European auto manufacturers, like Porsche and BMW, often start warranties by 'punching' their new cars as either service loaners or demos, just to increase sales. So you have to be careful with those. When I bought my Porsche and M3, several cars had about a year less warranty due to that, even though they were never used for that purpose. But I had to repeatedly ask about that, before getting an answer, which was extremely frustrating (and sketchy). But with American manufacturers, I've never heard of that practice (unless true), so warranty indeed starts with the in-service date, which is the day you sign the documents.

In my case, I got an extra 3 days, because for some unknown reason, the papers I signed had a Monday's date, when it was Friday. So cool :).

OP
OP
angermgmt14

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Well, I don't know why Ford has me in their system as ending 9/14. This was straight from Ford customer service. Who do you contact above CS to get this clarified??

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Well, I don't know why Ford has me in their system as ending 9/14. This was straight from Ford customer service. Who do you contact above CS to get this clarified??
Was this a special order? Only way I can think of that Ford could attach your name to the car before you took delivery.

Anyway, doesn’t really matter. Ask your dealer to look at their own documentation.

https://fordwsd.com/Ford-WSD/webfacing/ClientScript/Documentation/Warranty_Start_Policies.pdf

OP
OP
angermgmt14

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Was this a special order? Only way I can think of that Ford could attach your name to the car before you took delivery.

Anyway, doesn’t really matter. Ask your dealer to look at their own documentation.

https://fordwsd.com/Ford-WSD/webfacing/ClientScript/Documentation/Warranty_Start_Policies.pdf
Yes, this was a special order. My buddy used to work at the dealership I bought the car from at the time, so I ordered it like I wanted it. I'll have to see if I can find my purchase paperwork to see if there is anything in the "fine print". :facepalm:

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
I thought for corrosion its like 5 years unlimited miles or something? I had my hood replaced and i bought my car in 2015. I just showed them the tsb because i was out of the 36k warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP
angermgmt14

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I thought for corrosion its like 5 years unlimited miles or something? I had my hood replaced and i bought my car in 2015. I just showed them the tsb because i was out of the 36k warranty.
Yes, it is 5yrs/60k. When I first went to the body shop the big cheese told me it was 3yr/36k. I tried to tell him otherwise but he was adamant (cause he's been doing it for over 20yrs) it was only 3yr/36k. I was so fed up I just left. This was a month or so ago. Knowing the 5yr mark was coming up soon, I went back and showed him the wording in the warranty pamphlet and he filed a claim. A week and a half later he says it was ok'd to do. So he wasted 6 weeks of warranty time.(yeah, it is some of my fault not really pushing it.)

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt
Yea sometimes you just have to prove your point with the proof in hand.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The New Car Warranty Start date initiates the day the new owner signed the paperwork to purchase the car, which is the first registered owner, period.

If someone put in a wrong Warranty Start date, it should be corrected.

However, even if the date is off by 3 +/- days due to a key punch error, if the car accrued 36k before the 3 years - then the B2B 3/36 is done anyway.

The question regarding paint warranty work:
Paint or corrosion falls under a 5/60 Warranty, it’s outlined in the Owner’s Manual that comes with every new Ford. In 2016 the Paint Warranty was revised by Ford with a TSB (attached in other paint thread in this forum). That revision is to state that aluminum panels do not need a prerequisite of “perforation” in order to be considered for a Paint Warranty claim. This revision is also found in the Owner’s Manual.

There is 5/60 is for Paint, there is also a 5/60 for the Powertrain (engine, trans & rear). The 5/60’s run concurrently with the 3/36. Meaning IF there are any Warranty issues with either paint OR powertrain, being a new car it would fall under the 3/36 while the 3/36 is still active. Once the 3/36 is expired, then the vehicle owner really only has 2/24 (whichever occurs first) remaining of the 5/60 for Paint & Powertrain warranty claims.

Even so, if the owner accrued 60k before the 5 years, then again regardless of when the actual Warranty Date was started, the owner is still SOL because the mileage trumped the warranty date/years.

OP
OP
angermgmt14

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
The New Car Warranty Start date initiates the day the new owner signed the paperwork to purchase the car, which is the first registered owner, period.

If someone put in a wrong Warranty Start date, it should be corrected.

However, even if the date is off by 3 +/- days due to a key punch error, if the car accrued 36k before the 3 years - then the B2B 3/36 is done anyway.

The question regarding paint warranty work:
Paint or corrosion falls under a 5/60 Warranty, it’s outlined in the Owner’s Manual that comes with every new Ford. In 2016 the Paint Warranty was revised by Ford with a TSB (attached in other paint thread in this forum). That revision is to state that aluminum panels do not need a prerequisite of “perforation” in order to be considered for a Paint Warranty claim. This revision is also found in the Owner’s Manual.

There is 5/60 is for Paint, there is also a 5/60 for the Powertrain (engine, trans & rear). The 5/60’s run concurrently with the 3/36. Meaning IF there are any Warranty issues with either paint OR powertrain, being a new car it would fall under the 3/36 while the 3/36 is still active. Once the 3/36 is expired, then the vehicle owner really only has 2/24 (whichever occurs first) remaining of the 5/60 for Paint & Powertrain warranty claims.

Even so, if the owner accrued 60k before the 5 years, then again regardless of when the actual Warranty Date was started, the owner is still SOL because the mileage trumped the warranty date/years.
Cobra, I appreciate the explanation but who do you talk to when the dealership AND Ford CS tell you it starts the day it left the factory for delivery? Again, I special ordered the car so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. (it shouldn't) It's not the issue of getting the work done, it's been approved, it's more of the fact that what if something else happens in that 2 week window where Ford is saying it ends (9/16/20) and when I actually signed the purchase agreement (9/29/15). I can see it starting the day it arrived at the dealership and if you don't buy it until it's been sitting on the lot for a year, you lose that year. But for it to start when it leaves the factory and hasn't even arrived at the dealership... stupid.

If the body mgr knew what he was talking about in the first place, it wouldn't have been an issue. But the month to 6 weeks it took to get him to do it correctly, screwed the pooch.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Cobra, I appreciate the explanation but who do you talk to when the dealership AND Ford CS tell you it starts the day it left the factory for delivery?
Did you talk to Ford CS and they told you that your warranty started when the car left the factory?
Sponsored