Factory dents?

AndrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I washed and waxed my New 2020 GT and found two small dents but no marks around them to cause the damage. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed them on their new Mustang. Possibly made it through quality control(?)
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Post pics of the dents. Really strange.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt, 1989 fox body lx 5.0, 1997 camaro
I picked up my 2020 on aug 27th and noticed a small dent on the quarter panel above the fuel door a few days later when washed. Just like you there was no visible damage in that spot. But my car did have issues with damaged/defective paint in other several other areas, so it’s at the body shop now.
If it’s been less than a week since you got the car the dealer should fix it. In says in the 2020 warranty guide in the “check your vehicle” section that if you find issues like that you should let your dealer know in less than a week.

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I noticed a small dent on top my left quarter too. I have no idea how that got there. I assumed it happened while sitting on the lot.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
There can be a lot of defects from manufacturing, but even with Ford crappy build quality, I doubt the dents are done there. With most door dings, you can't see any damage around it; it'd have to be HUGE. So if the damage is at door height, it happened at the dealer, most likely. Even dents that are obviously not door dings, can happen in the service bay, when car is getting its PDI. The good news is if there's no crease, dents can be removed via PDR... but depending where it is, sometimes it requires invasive panel removal to get behind the dents.

Most dealers tell customers they're on their own if they don't catch them before leaving the dealer, so if dealer agrees to take care of them, I'd investigate what it entails to remove it/them, and decide if it's worth the risk. Good luck.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Factory dents are real my 2019 Ranger had one I didn't notice until I got it home. I didn't do anything about it my Ranger is black and I didn't think it was worth the risk to get such a little dent fixed.

OP
OP

AndrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
I picked up my 2020 on aug 27th and noticed a small dent on the quarter panel above the fuel door a few days later when washed. Just like you there was no visible damage in that spot. But my car did have issues with damaged/defective paint in other several other areas, so it’s at the body shop now.
If it’s been less than a week since you got the car the dealer should fix it. In says in the 2020 warranty guide in the “check your vehicle” section that if you find issues like that you should let your dealer know in less than a week.
It has been close to a month but I text the salesman and told him first thing. Kind of sucks since the paint is like glass. I appreciate you info, thank you!
I noticed a small dent on top my left quarter too. I have no idea how that got there. I assumed it happened while sitting on the lot.
Could be I just figured there would be slightly visible damage to the clear coat at least. Thank you for your response!
There can be a lot of defects from manufacturing, but even with Ford crappy build quality, I doubt the dents are done there. With most door dings, you can't see any damage around it; it'd have to be HUGE. So if the damage is at door height, it happened at the dealer, most likely. Even dents that are obviously not door dings, can happen in the service bay, when car is getting its PDI. The good news is if there's no crease, dents can be removed via PDR... but depending where it is, sometimes it requires invasive panel removal to get behind the dents.

Most dealers tell customers they're on their own if they don't catch them before leaving the dealer, so if dealer agrees to take care of them, I'd investigate what it entails to remove it/them, and decide if it's worth the risk. Good luck.
To be honest I think the dealer will tell me I should have looked closed upon delivery. I was just check to see if others had these. Was thinking possibly IF the factory was operating during the pandemic it could impede the vision of the inspectors.

OP
OP

AndrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Factory dents are real my 2019 Ranger had one I didn't notice until I got it home. I didn't do anything about it my Ranger is black and I didn't think it was worth the risk to get such a little dent fixed.
If had them on a truck I probably wouldn't bother either since it would have a few more to come heading to camp and such. Our old Hummer was a mess, lol! But this Mustang will be just a summer car and every time I clean it I will notice the dents I'm sort of anal on polishing my Muscle/Pony and sports cars. Been 12 years since I had anything cool, Charger R/T there's new products out there, Ceramic sealants/coatings which I'm going to try. I still to use Mother's cleaner wax, sealant and carnuba( sometimes Gold Class)
Does a nice job and not too expensive like Zaino Bros.

Mustang50Man

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Neighbors car had a dent at the top on pillar as well...
I’m not going to even check mine.

Sponsored

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Ordered my 2020 PP2. Took delivery with no dealer prep, not even a wash. Upon my first wash I immediately noticed a piece of metal protruding through the clear on the top side of my driver side rear quarter panel. Someone at the factory tried to wet sand the area and went right through the clear.

I will not get it repaired because usually the fix is worse than the problem and no way my new car is having paintwork with 6 miles on it. It’s completely BS that QC let the car leave the plant like this. Unbelievable actually

EC881FEB-1819-41FF-BF5B-B4E9BFCD75EC.jpeg

91919A12-D276-4C00-B52A-11F904DD3DA4.jpeg

OP
OP

AndrewT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Ordered my 2020 PP2. Took delivery with no dealer prep, not even a wash. Upon my first wash I immediately noticed a piece of metal protruding through the clear on the top side of my driver side rear quarter panel. Someone at the factory tried to wet sand the area and went right through the clear.

I will not get it repaired because usually the fix is worse than the problem and no way my new car is having paintwork with 6 miles on it. It’s completely BS that QC let the car leave the plant like this. Unbelievable actually

EC881FEB-1819-41FF-BF5B-B4E9BFCD75EC.jpeg

91919A12-D276-4C00-B52A-11F904DD3DA4.jpeg
Sorry to see this. I am starting think QC is missing stuff

Matti777

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Looks like the same spot as mine.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
It really pains me to see these same threads popping up year after year, but it appears that Flat Rock will never really get a grip over the QC. It really starts to get annoying seeing the UAW World Class Vehicles sticker on the driver-side window, because the results seem to say the opposite.

I've been on M6G since 2017, before even making an account, back when I was researching "common problems", before deciding if I should pull the trigger on my 2017 GT PP1 (traded for the PP2).

Back then, I remember forums from guys posting their issues with their 2015 units. I thought, ok, beta-run production cars, some of these will be worked out as the vehicle continues production run, like normal (and most any other OEM). Fast forward to today, 2020, and I'm still seeing some of these issues.

Some of the threads for issues I remember seeing over the years:
-misaligned body panels (they do seem a bit better on 2018+ cars, but still see issues posted)
-misaligned/improperly sized rear glass (height was different on driver side vs passenger side)
-paint issues (debris in paint, scratches, dents, etc.) [I have a similar-sized paint speck as
dom418, about 8 inches below the 5.0 logo on passenger fender; looks like it is under the paint, which is worse than under the clear coat; I saw it on the car in the showroom before I bought it, but like Dom, didn't even bring it up, and not going to fix it.]
-mismatched door panel trim (one door panel had different trim than the other)
-mismatched knee-bolster trim on 2018+ Premium stitch cars (one panel had contrast stitch, the other did not)
-mismatched centre console trim on 2018+ Premium stitch cars (car was GT350R and had red contrast stitching; centre console had grey stitching)
-mismatched wheel size (on the PP2, you have 10" Front, 10.5" on the rear - one PP2 owner found at home he had 3 10.5" rims on the car and one 10")
-mismatched tire size (on the PP2, should be 305/30/19 cup2 tires all around - I saw a PP2 at a local dealer with 315/30/19 tires on the back, a.k.a. the GT350R cup2 rear size)
-mismatched rear spoiler (PP2 car I saw listed at Andy Mohr Ford had a PP1 pedestal spoiler, NOT the PP2 low profile spoiler)
-mismatched front signal light assy (we have a slightly different unit on the North American models, vs the Euro Models. One American member had one side correct, the other was from the Euro unit)
-Anyone on YT who knows of Raiti's Rides, his GT350R Heritage Edition, there was a huge tear/crack/rip in one of his hood stripes when it was brought to the dealer

The list goes on.
I find it hilarious yet disappointing, because years ago, I remember seeing a promo vid for Flat Rock, talking about all the upgrades they did to the plant, preparing for the S550 Mustang production, including the paint shop upgrades, which included "ostrich feathers" on the rollers for the body-in-white, prior to painting. Clearly, it hasn't helped.

What also hasn't helped? 2020 and the 'Rona.
When production stopped, orders backed-up. Production restarts, there is a huge backlog, and in a bid to get things going and not cause further delays, cars with these minor paint issues? They see them, there's no way it's missed - they just close one eye and shut the other and send it along to the rail yard.

Last edited:

dom418

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(2) 20 HEP-R, 20 Velocity Blue 350R, 20 Lime 350R
Very odd that many of these issues are on the quarter panels
Sponsored