Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

Millarduck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT; 2016 Jeep GC Limited; 2014 Honda Accord Touring; former 1966 Mustang Coupe- Sprint Edition
I use the 303 once a year. Garage kept, doesn't see water, except for washing.

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
mmff88gt That's one impressive masking job. WOW! Want to do mine?

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
mmff88gt That's one impressive masking job. WOW! Want to do mine?
Sorry I didn't see this earlier. It really doesn't take long. I get the cheapest, lightest plastic drop cloths at Menard's. I raise the roof a couple of inches, raise the windows, and work one drop cloth over the hood to the back of the rear windows. I work another across the trunk and down around and into into the seal at the rear of the roof. I seat the roof and raise the windows completely, then tape the drop cloths together -- as you can see -- over the rear fender. The rear window is covered with a piece of newspaper a couple of layers thick that I do carefully mask right up to the edges of the glass. The only trick is reaching in and putting the roof fully up without accidentally moving the drop cloth out of position. I work slowly an the whole thing takes 5 to 10 minutes.

Sponsored

SloWay2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT Vert
I just got my first convertible. I have Meguiars Gold wash, is this okay to use on the top while I wash the whole car?

I also picked up some 303 for the top, which I see will take some work. Do I need to specifically clean the top before applying?

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I just got my first convertible. I have Meguiars Gold wash, is this okay to use on the top while I wash the whole car?

I also picked up some 303 for the top, which I see will take some work. Do I need to specifically clean the top before applying?
I tend to avoid using soaps on my convertible top. It can be really hard to fully rinse the soap out. I will spot clean bird droppings or any other light stains with a sponge or rag, and rinse dust away with plain water during routine cleaning. I have used Ragtop brand cleaner and protectant in the past, but only as an occasional treatment, not for routine cleaning. I have not tried the Chemical Guys top cleaner and protectant yet, but may give it a go.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
As ay1820 stated, Ragtop cleaner works. Also, you can try the black bottle of Woolite Dark in the black bottle.

I have used both with good success.

CVCashmere

mmff88gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible

303 makes "Tonneau Cover & Convertible Top Cleaner" that it sells in a kit with the fabric protector. I use it with a horsehair brush before I apply 303 Fabric Guard for outdoor fabrics. I've had good luck with it, so I haven't tried the products others have suggested. I agree with ay1820 about trying to avoid soap. When I'm washing my car, I just heavily soak to top with water, then scrape the water off with a silicone squeegee and dry it with a white cotton Turkish towel. The towel always shows some dirt from the top, but the top looks clean after the process and I think the protectant treatment lasts longer if you avoid soap. Obviously, if you get tree sap or serious bird droppings, you will need a more vigorous approach.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t have a Mustang convertible but I have the M. I’ve never put a thing on the top and it’s perfect. The only water the car ever sees is when I wash it. What is the purpose of these products supposed to do? Protect from sun if you park outside? Just wondering.

Sponsored

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
My '15 and '20 are both cloth-topped convertibles and garage kept--they only come out in blue skies and sunshine, except for the times when I go to the Mustang Stampede in Dearborn; Ponies in the Smokies at Pigeon Forge, Tennessee; the Ford Nationals in Carlisle, Pennsylvania; or the alternate Mustang Alley in Somerset, Kentucky. Invariably, in those trips, I will get rained upon.

Having said that, however, I've owned Mustang cloth-topped convertibles for over 20 years. Should they be garaged when not in use, it is not necessary to go through the drill of water-proofing the top annually. Remember, UV is culprit. Being that I've
owned convertibles for over 50 years--I'm getting old--I've tracked-down the maker of the convertible tops for the 6G Mustang and they recommend Ragg Topp and I use it--about every three years, and I'm very satisfied.

Please forgive me for the long post, but I will leave you to your own conclusions.

RJ

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback

If you have applied the 303, it should help repel water and soap, so using Meg's Gold Class should be fine. Although, I would say that Gold Class can take a bit more rinsing to remove its residue compared to other soaps. Also, Gold Class has gloss enhancers in it, ideally you don't want it leaving something behind on the fabric, so perhaps it would be better to try another soap.

Look into P&S Pearl, Koch Chemie GSF, Adam's Car Shampoo (the blue one), NV Snow, Gyeon Bathe or even Optimum Car Wash.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
I'm a self service wash user. Quick low pressure soap and then rinse on the top. Then every month use the 303 fabric guard but only apply to a dry top.

SloWay2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT Vert
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess the general consensus is to keep the soaps off and use a top specific cleaner, which is what I will do and see how it goes.

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
fwiw I wash the whole car top and body with same wash. So far no issues, wrinkles happen it a ragg top. For treatment I use the detail guy who did the ceramic on my paint, great treatment and easy to apply payment (ho ho). Seriously like our more experience forum friend, keeping it out of the sun and garaged will be the best protection ever. If I'm wrong I'll have to sell it and buy another one!
Sponsored