Fabric Protector for Fabric Convertible Tops

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I just cleaned my top w/ Toby Meguiar's convertible top cleaner. Then I used Chemical Guy's Fabric Top Protectant.

The Chemical Guy's product may be a good product for UV protection and water repellency but its a pain to apply. I had to cover ALL of the plastic & rubber parts near the top from overspray. It took the better part of an hour to prep the top for the protectant. There has to be a better way.

I tried to get the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard but the local shop that sells 303 wasn't able to get the Fabric Guard. No idea why. He suggested the 303 Automotive Protectant but it says on the bottle NOT to use on fabric tops. So I passed on the 303.

Is there a practical protectant for the fabric tops that's a WHOLE lot easier to apply, readily available, but still provides long lasting UV protection and water repellency?

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

Richfl01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt convertible
Not able to get 303 Fabric Guard? That is a bit of a strange comment...it is readily available from multiple sites including amazon. Its also readily available at walmart and auto parts stores as well as boat supply stores. Maybe I am misunderstanding your question?

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I’ve been using 303. It is a little tougher to find here in Toronto but I ended up buying jugs on Amazon for a good price. I brush it on, no masking, and get good results. Two coats 24 hours apart works best.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
Not able to get 303 Fabric Guard? That is a bit of a strange comment...it is readily available from multiple sites including amazon. Its also readily available at walmart and auto parts stores as well as boat supply stores. Maybe I am misunderstanding your question?
I prefer to purchase at local retailers if at all possible. I can order on-line but IRL is more my style. The walmart near me doesn't stock any 303 products. Nor do any of the auto parts stores near me except for one that offers the 303 vinyl protectant. Never thought of marine supply. There are 2 marine dealers a few blocks from me. I'll stop by before I have to treat the top this fall and find out if they stock it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
I prefer to purchase at local retailers if at all possible. I can order on-line but IRL is more my style. The walmart near me doesn't stock any 303 products. Nor do any of the auto parts stores near me except for one that offers the 303 vinyl protectant. Never thought of marine supply. There are 2 marine dealers a few blocks from me. I'll stop by before I have to treat the top this fall and find out if they stock it. Thanks for the suggestion.
I prefer to shop locally as well, however, I had bought my first supply of the Fabric Guard at Costco, and, as is not unusual with them, the next time I needed it they didn’t have it. I found it at at local detailer’s supply store but the price was outrageous, in excess of 150% of the Amazon price.

phatsesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 convertible GT
I just switched to chemical guys hydro ceramic line for fabric supposed to be better than the convertible top protector. I use a paint masker to protect surrounding areas takes about ten minutes. Also I use ceramic protection on paint and trim so any overspray wipes right off

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I just switched to chemical guys hydro ceramic line for fabric supposed to be better than the convertible top protector. I use a paint masker to protect surrounding areas takes about ten minutes. Also I use ceramic protection on paint and trim so any overspray wipes right off
Do you use masking tape or the chemical masking gel (comes in a magic marker style package)? I used the marker style masking products on glass when house painting many years ago but I haven't seen them for many years. If they still make them they would work great. But all I had was masking tape which took me over an hour to apply.

I also use the ceramic hybrid wax on the body and glass panels on the car. I had a bit of overspray on the body panels when using the Chemical Guys Fabric protectant. I missed a spot that dried overnight and I had to use polishing compound to remove it. Water and microfiber cloth was ineffective at that point.

Didn't know there was a ceramic product for fabric. I'll have to investigate....

Thanks.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
If you are looking at marine products, West Marine makes a fabric protector good for UV, etc. I have used it with excellent results. Also used 303 and Raggtop. All three work.

CVCashmere

Sponsored

phatsesh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 convertible GT
Do you use masking tape or the chemical masking gel (comes in a magic marker style package)? I used the marker style masking products on glass when house painting many years ago but I haven't seen them for many years. If they still make them they would work great. But all I had was masking tape which took me over an hour to apply.

I also use the ceramic hybrid wax on the body and glass panels on the car. I had a bit of overspray on the body panels when using the Chemical Guys Fabric protectant. I missed a spot that dried overnight and I had to use polishing compound to remove it. Water and microfiber cloth was ineffective at that point.

Didn't know there was a ceramic product for fabric. I'll have to investigate....

Thanks.
I just used masking tape with plastic attached in a hand masker. The hard part is where the lid goes into the trunk. Other places I use a card board shield to limit overspray like around the windows but I just wipe things off during the waiting period after. When it dries does it look like carnuba?

OP
OP
Ecto1

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I just used masking tape with plastic attached in a hand masker. The hard part is where the lid goes into the trunk. Other places I use a card board shield to limit overspray like around the windows but I just wipe things off during the waiting period after. When it dries does it look like carnuba?
I thought about using a floating cardboard to prevent overspray but there's too much wind here to take a chance on it. So I masked everything. I only have painter's tape, no plastic shield like the body shop uses. Everything's a pain to mask. At least it was for me. Don't want to go through that again.

When the Chemical Guys Fabric Protectant dried on the paint it looked like water spots. And it's as hard to remove as water spots. Fortunately the polishing compound with a hand applicator took care of it. No damage to the paint that I can detect. So overall the Chemical Guys looks like it should work out fine for the top. It's the prep that's too much for me. I'll see if I can find the 303 or maybe the West Marine at my local marine supply.

It looks like the Chemical Guys Ceramic Fabric Protector has the same prep issues as their "regular" fabric protector. So I'll pass on it for now.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

grungysquash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
Mustang FN V8 convertable
I use 303 Tonneau cleaner using the 303 convertible soft top brush, and my preferred waterproofer is the 303 Fabric protector. I paint the fabric protector on as the spray just goes everywhere - and allow to dry over night.

I can only get these from Amazon so I ensure I have these when ever I run out, and they deliver pretty quickly. My roof after two years of daily driving so the car is out in the open during the day is still in new condition.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I've used RaggTop on convertible tops before with great results. But like you say, it is pain to mask off everything before spraying it on. RaggTop comes in an aerosol can, so in order to get good coverage, you need to spray right up to the edge, so masking is pretty important.

Z4 Ragtop Application 003.jpg

It looks like the Chem Guys product is in a regular squirt bottle and that you can spread it with a brush/cloth to even it out. You do need to be careful with how/where you spray it, but it seems like you could be less fussy with masking. I actually was planning to give their product a try for just that reason.